Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 11, 2013, 05:50 AM   #1
Imaginethe
macrumors regular

Apple TV 3 Upscale 576p MP4 to 720p/1080p

I have been looking around for an answer to this but can't see anything that clearly answers my question.

My ps3 when it plays a dvd, automatically upscales from 576p to720pp/1080i on my tv, so the DVD looks sharp, if not a little sharper than it would with with a standard dvd player. However it does not do this with Mp4 files at 576p, whilst the file fills the screen it is just expanded, and so loses that crisp edge.

Does an Apple TV upscale these to 720p/1080i/1080p etc the same as a blu-ray player would with a dvd. Or is a limitiation of the file type/encoding quality? On my computer screen in the correct window size (576 pixels high) it is dvd quality.

I would happily buy an Apple Tv if it upscales.
Imaginethe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:43 AM   #2
DefBref
macrumors 6502

Your TV itself will upscale (or possibly downscale) any input to it that doesn't match its resolution. Thats why when your PS3 doesn't do it, you still get a picture filling the screen. Its not 'expanded', its being upscaled by your TV instead of your PS3.

TBH unless your using a dedicated video processor, upscaling external to the display is a bit of hit and miss.
DefBref is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:05 AM   #3
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefBref View Post
Your TV itself will upscale (or possibly downscale) any input to it that doesn't match its resolution. Thats why when your PS3 doesn't do it, you still get a picture filling the screen. Its not 'expanded', its being upscaled by your TV instead of your PS3.

TBH unless your using a dedicated video processor, upscaling external to the display is a bit of hit and miss.
Video upscaling is something else then making you picture fit the screen.
The PS3 is indeed capable of doing an actual video upscale to 1080p, similar as a dedicated video processor.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaginethe View Post
I have been looking around for an answer to this but can't see anything that clearly answers my question.

My ps3 when it plays a dvd, automatically upscales from 576p to720pp/1080i on my tv, so the DVD looks sharp, if not a little sharper than it would with with a standard dvd player. However it does not do this with Mp4 files at 576p, whilst the file fills the screen it is just expanded, and so loses that crisp edge.

Does an Apple TV upscale these to 720p/1080i/1080p etc the same as a blu-ray player would with a dvd. Or is a limitiation of the file type/encoding quality? On my computer screen in the correct window size (576 pixels high) it is dvd quality.

I would happily buy an Apple Tv if it upscales.
No, the ATV is not equipped to perform a video upscale. You PS3 is also not able to upscale a 720p game. I am not sure, but possibly it only contains a simple upscale processor. As I wanted everything in 1080p on my TV, I bought a home cinema amp (Onkyo) which has a dedicated video upscaling chip/processor, anything on the screen is in 1080p now; even the 720p PS3 games (they look at lot better). I think also other brands than Onkyo fill provide you with this functionality.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:04 PM   #4
err404
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
Video upscaling is something else then making you picture fit the screen.
Not really. Upscaling only means that the output is a higher specification than the input. This could be ia simple stretch, or addition filters could be added to help clean up the image. Higher quality upscalers try to add detail to an image that is not in the source. This can lead to artifacts when bad assumptions are made. These assumptions can vary based on the source material, so the PS3 will apply fliters to only certain types of video.

Quote:
As I wanted everything in 1080p on my TV, I bought a home cinema amp (Onkyo) which has a dedicated video upscaling chip/processor, anything on the screen is in 1080p now; even the 720p PS3 games (they look at lot better).
All this means is that your TV's builtin scaler is low quality. YMMV depending upon the Make/Model of your TV.
BTW - PS3 upscaling is done via the CPU. There is no dedicated chip.
err404 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by err404 View Post
Not really. Upscaling only means that the output is a higher specification than the input. This could be ia simple stretch, or addition filters could be added to help clean up the image. Higher quality upscalers try to add detail to an image that is not in the source. This can lead to artifacts when bad assumptions are made. These assumptions can vary based on the source material, so the PS3 will apply fliters to only certain types of video.

All this means is that your TV's builtin scaler is low quality. YMMV depending upon the Make/Model of your TV.
BTW - PS3 upscaling is done via the CPU. There is no dedicated chip.
Nope, it is my Onkyo doing this job and it has a dedicated chip to do so. Next to this my TV is Samsung 7000 series, not particular a cheap one. The upscale done by my Onkyo is not just a stretch as any cheap TV-set could already do for more than 10 years, as I said these are two completely different things (at least if your looking for true upscaling). Most TV do not allow for simple screen stretching on a digital source like HDMI.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
brentsg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
Nope, it is my Onkyo doing this job and it has a dedicated chip to do so. Next to this my TV is Samsung 7000 series, not particular a cheap one. The upscale done by my Onkyo is not just a stretch as any cheap TV-set could already do for more than 10 years, as I said these are two completely different things (at least if your looking for true upscaling). Most TV do not allow for simple screen stretching on a digital source like HDMI.
It's all the same thing. If your TV does a terrible job, that is what it is. Many TV's have high quality chips to do this as well.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:35 PM   #7
MacinJosh
macrumors 6502a

To put it simply, the ATV outputs all video at the resolution you've set in the settings. My ATV3 is set to 1080p which matches my Full HD TV. All movies are output at 1080p to the TV whether or not they're SD or HD. The ATV even adds the black bars to the sides of 4:3 material and outputs a widescreen picture including the black bars to the TV.

I won't argue whether or not it actually does any complex upscaling, but at the very least it zooms (scales) non-1080p video to fit the screen. My TV does absolutely nothing to the picture other than display it.

This would actually present a problem to those who would like to use a high quality dedicated scaler. But I seriously doubt that those who do would use an ATV. It can't even output 24p so that cuts out the purists.
iPad Mini Retina - 32GB / iPad 3 - 16GB - Black
MacinJosh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:01 PM   #8
nrc2112
macrumors newbie

If your set is 1080p then it is 1080p period. Just set Apple TV 3 to auto and it will send the proper signal to whatever it is connected to. All sources being output to the tv will be sent in the tv native format AND displayed in the native format.

So if you watch a SD source via atv connected to a 1080p tv natively, you will see the SD with black bars on either side on a 16:9 set because the SD is 4:3 format. All video on a 1080p set is always 1080p unless it is scaled down which is not a good idea if you want to take advantage of HD content. Most SD material on 1080p is an abomination UNLESS your setup has an excellent Video scaler. The ATV3 when set to auto scales or if you will outputs to what the tv expects natively. Unless you deliberately change the ATV to scale to another format.
nrc2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater