Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:45 AM   #1
joserpaq
macrumors member

Apple tv2 xmbc alternative

I just updated my ATV2 and jail broke it without realizing that xmbc was not compatible with the latest OS from apple. The main reason I use xmbc is just to watch movies on a local server. I used to use nito tv for this way back before the functionality was taken out. Can anyone recommend a similar jb app for the atv2?

Thanks.
joserpaq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:53 AM   #2
nebo1ss
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by joserpaq View Post
I just updated my ATV2 and jail broke it without realizing that xmbc was not compatible with the latest OS from apple. The main reason I use xmbc is just to watch movies on a local server. I used to use nito tv for this way back before the functionality was taken out. Can anyone recommend a similar jb app for the atv2?

Thanks.
I don't know if Plex has been updated as yet but you can try Plex on your jailbroken Apple TV. Plex works a bit different it is a client/server app you run the client on the apple TV and the server can run on multiple platforms.
nebo1ss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:11 PM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

plex works on the lastest version of iOS that you can jailbreak, it's 1 version before the current, think it's 5.0.2

with plex, the server converts your files to an TV compatible format as you watch them, if they aren't already compatible. so you need something with a little bit of power, doesn't have to be a monster though.
the server runs on windows, os X, and linux
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:29 PM   #4
Ratatapa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joserpaq View Post

Thanks.
Where did you JB it?

Seas0pass don't offer JB for ATv2 for the new OS yet just for 5.0.2 (iOS 5.1.1 - 9B830
Ratatapa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Che Castro
macrumors 601

I like the firecore media player they have

Looks just like the Apple TV UI
Che Castro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater