Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
I recently replaced my optical drive with an SSD drive, and when I try to point my iphoto to its location on my iMacs original HD, Im getting an error that says "You cant open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto." Everything is up to date, but I cant seem to get my new iphoto app to read from the original one, which kinda sucks, since I have over 8000 photos in it. Anyone have any suggestions?

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I recently replaced my optical drive with an SSD drive, and when I try to point my iphoto to its location on my iMacs original HD, Im getting an error that says "You cant open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto." Everything is up to date, but I cant seem to get my new iphoto app to read from the original one, which kinda sucks, since I have over 8000 photos in it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Iphoto should be able to open (and covert) older versions of iPhoto libraries. Are you sure that you have the latest version of iPhoto on your newly created Mac? It sounds like the version is older than the one that created your library.

/Jim

The.316

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
25100 GR
Iphoto should be able to open (and covert) older versions of iPhoto libraries. Are you sure that you have the latest version of iPhoto on your newly created Mac? It sounds like the version is older than the one that created your library.

/Jim

Edit: Stupid me, I thought all the updates were finished, but I guess not. I was still running 9.1 on the SSD, and as soon as I checked for updates, there was a 9.4.2 update for my iphoto. Hopefully that works.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.