Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1
kylera
macrumors 6502a

North Korea possibly blows up a nuke (merged)

One source out of many

Seismic activity detected at previous nuclear test site.

Maybe it's because I've been living in Seoul for too long, but it almost seems...ordinary now.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 PM   #2
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

My body is ready! Lets go to north korea!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:32 AM   #3
andalusia
macrumors 68030

I'm surprised there aren't more posts in this thread. What are people's thoughts?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

Its puny economy and small diplomatic reach means the North struggles to win attention on the global stage - other than through nuclear tests and attacks on South Korea.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:56 AM   #5
sammich
macrumors 601

At least they apparently forewarned the powers that be that they were going to do it.

Also, I find it amusing that they said that as a result of the test there would be no last ecological impacts. It's in an area designated for tests (the road is called 'Nuclear Test Rd' by outsiders. Still, it's amusing that they're willing to irradiate their already fairly barren soil.

I'm going to be picky here, but is it me or is 'blowing up' a bomb a misnomer? The bomb is the thing doing the blowing.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:05 AM   #6
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

I don't get it. Every Tom,Dick and Harry want's a nuclear weapon which will reach the US. They will be wiped off from the face of the Earth, if, a big if, they dare do it.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:10 AM   #7
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
I don't get it. Every Tom,Dick and Harry want's a nuclear weapon which will reach the US. They will be wiped off from the face of the Earth, if, a big if, they dare do it.
But are they thinking sanely? Or are they just arrogantly trying to warn others that they aren't to be messed with, regardless of whether they ever plan to use a nuke or not?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:52 AM   #8
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

N.Korea....

What is it with our news outlets ? you would think that news of the N.Korea conducting a Nuclear test would dominate the news, but nope not the case instead we are always fed BS and always Throwing Iran under the bus, a country that to this date we have no idea that they even have nukes or even working towards them just a bunch of lip service and false accusations by the US

So we pick on the little guys and helpless country in the name of spreading democracy and insuring the world security......... Afghanistan, Iraq? everyone knows Iraq and Afghanistan are no threat to anyone in the world, Iraq was to Kuwait but the sanctions placed afterwards have truly crippled the country
Afghanistan? yeah just throw the word Taliban out and you have a blank check

Ridiculous how little the media allows us to know
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:58 AM   #9
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/11/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/02...weaponization/

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-was-analysis/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-...-aimed-at-u.s/

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/02/12/north...ear-bomb-test/

On the front page of all these sites.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:02 PM   #10
GermanyChris
Banned

While I agree in principle what would you have us do? Start WWIII. Hostile action taken against N. Korea would be meet with Chinese forces. Once that was done that'd drag in the better part of Asia, with potential to play with the Russians and a decent part of the Muslim world as Muslim Asia get drug into the conflict.

I also believe that China is the largest holder of US debt which poses it's own unique challenges.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 PM   #11
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
While I agree in principle what would you have us do? Start WWIII. Hostile action taken against N. Korea would be meet with Chinese forces. Once that was done that'd drag in the better part of Asia, with potential to play with the Russians and a decent part of the Muslim world as Muslim Asia get drug into the conflict.

I also believe that China is the largest holder of US debt which poses it's own unique challenges.
China has condemned the test

China is the largest foreign holder of U.S.debt, slightly more than Japan. It is the third largest holder of U.S. debt. The Federal Reserve and Social Security hold the most debt.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McMac View Post
Is anyone really worried about North Korea? The USA could wipe them out in a second if they ever use one, and they know it...
If they ever use one, the United States, and the world for that matter, will have a much larger issue than us wiping them out.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:22 PM   #12
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
China has condemned the test

China is the largest foreign holder of U.S.debt, slightly more than Japan. It is the third largest holder of U.S. debt. The Federal Reserve and Social Security hold the most debt.
China will condemn until US soldiers hit ground there. I disagree with my sister and my parents I'll even condemn them but if you open your mouth to them I break your nose. That's the condemnation we're dealing with.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:28 PM   #13
webbuzz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
China will condemn until US soldiers hit ground there. I disagree with my sister and my parents I'll even condemn them but if you open your mouth to them I break your nose. That's the condemnation we're dealing with.
I agree completely, hopefully it doesn't ever come to that. However, I think China will put their thumb on Jim Jong-un in the short-term.
webbuzz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:32 PM   #14
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

I'm not going to worry about it till I get orders.

The South Koreans and Japanese need to manage this. If we aren't attacked directly, we should keep an eye on events, and be prepared, but not be the tip of the spear for what is clearly an Asia problem.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Eh. Not quite. China and North Korea aren't exactly on the best terms with each other. NK does something that severely pisses them off every other day, it seems.

If NK were to launch a nuke against Japan, the most likely response from China would be for them to throw their hands up and declare themselves neutral in the matter. Like in the other Asia war thread I posted in a few months back, I think it's very doubtful they'll do anything to raise the ire of the west. They might be willing to toe the line and play the politics game to the utmost extreme, but they're not idiots. NK launching a nuke against another country would enrage the entire world, and China knows the resulting ****storm wouldn't be one they'd be able to play to their advantage. They're more likely to step back and cut ties than they are to start lending troops to the cause of a blatant aggressor.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #16
whoknows87
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I want us to be involved in no wars at all, my point was the media loves to scare us with Iran this Iran that and it's not even a real threat at ALL, They love to mention how Ahmedninjad said he Would wipe Israel Out ( He never said those exact words , couple of investigations on that matter said it was a translation error , but who knows? if there is an Enemy worth of our attention it's North Korea, a State that flat out said we are conducting this test to pretty much shut the Americans up and that America needs to tone it down a bit

if We just mind our business we would be just fine, but the US hardly does that...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:10 PM   #17
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoknows87 View Post
I want us to be involved in no wars at all, my point was the media loves to scare us with Iran this Iran that and it's not even a real threat at ALL, They love to mention how Ahmedninjad said he Would wipe Israel Out ( He never said those exact words , couple of investigations on that matter said it was a translation error , but who knows? if there is an Enemy worth of our attention it's North Korea, a State that flat out said we are conducting this test to pretty much shut the Americans up and that America needs to tone it down a bit

if We just mind our business we would be just fine, but the US hardly does that...
Isolationism isn't the answer it didn't work in 1914 and 1936-39. Proactive thoughtful foreign policy will though to include not selling debt to antagonistic foreign powers, not being hypocritical with various human rights violators, and keep our home economy strong.

Winning the cold war was one of the worst things to happen to America this century. It removed the natural balance of power in the world and left us without definition. The GWOT was an attempt to replace the USSR but NGO's simply are not powerful enough to pose a real threat especially long term. Every country needs a nation enemy we don't have one, and we're really to big to acquire one.

The question is how does America lead, not do we want to because that's not an option. We as a nation will have to decide that.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Truth be told, I don't care who owns it, but it shouldn't be the United States unless we are attacked. If Japan or South Korea fear for their safety they need to take action. If that is too scary politically, then it sucks to be them. They will need to modify their diplomacy standards or be willing to war.

Either way, the Asians need to sort this out.
Japan goes to war so does the US, its that simple.
GermanyChris is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:21 PM   #18
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Anytime I think of North Korea's nuclear program this is the only thing that comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upt7ZTvcriY
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:24 PM   #19
nutmac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Don Ditty View Post
Sanctions just punish they already poor "free" North Koreans. All the NK gov't will do is punish their people more.
Which they will do regardless. Increase aid and aid will only go toward feeding military and speed up nuclear build up (as it has during Sunshine policy period).

Sanction is obviously very weak and not effective in itself. But North Korea is on the path toward rapid destabilization (much more so than in the past anyway). While short-term outcome would be very ugly for nearby nations, joint military actions (between China, US, South Korea, and Japan) is probably even more ugly (although they would go long way toward putting the dying horse out of its misery).
nutmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues