Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fatboyondiet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Germany
Hey there!

There have been some rumours about a new watch-like device from Apple. This got me thinking about what would be some cool features to have on a device like that. What would you want to see on an "iwatch"?

I would like to see something like an extension of Maps, so you wouldn't have to take you're phone out every 10 minutes while trying to find a place in a new city, or maybe in the rain. A kind of alert when your phone is too far away would also be great. (Casio seems to have made a watch that does this)

If you think that a digital device on your wrist is a bad idea, than there's no need to post. But if you have some cool new idea of what a digital device on your wrist could do... well then, geek-out! :D

Cheers!

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
A facetime camera, so I can hold my arm up horizontally in front of my face and talk to somebody on that tiny tiny screen. My left arm might strengthen as much as my right arm that way.

:p

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
  • Screen that's always on - I want to see the time, all of the time!
  • One week minimum battery life
  • Bluetooth 4.0 for headphones
  • Metal or all glass design - no plastic please!
  • Colour screen
  • Notifications from iPhone/iPad
  • See calendar events
  • Not too heavy
  • Not too expensive

...then I'd buy one!

maestrocasa

macrumors regular
I think it should integrate phone and facetime and then I can use it like a Dick Tracy radio watch.

If it doesn't do that, i don't want it. All the mock-ups look pretty cheap. I think a watch should be a nice looking piece of jewelry that also serves a purpose.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I can understand the interest from any technology company into creating devices that invoke memories of Star Trek into geek's heads. However it's something I definitely wouldn't buy. A watch, so far as I'm concerned, isn't digital and simply tells the time.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I wish Apple wouldn't make it.

I want Apple the computer and mobile electronics company. Not Apple the general electronics company.

A watch is a mobile device. Not exactly going to be plugging it in expect for charging.

fatboyondiet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2012
Germany
I definitely think they could make a great product in form o a watch. But if you think about it as a watch it doesn't make sense right now. Just like if you thought the IPhone would be just another phone with internet connectivity. Why would you want to go on the internet on a 4 inch screen when you have PC's. Why would you want to recharge every day as opposed to once week, like you would a Nokia phone.

It's when you add innovations like Apps that the whole product is in deed "reinvented". (As much as i hate that word) Then the internet makes sense on a 4 inch device. The same thing goes for the IPad. Retrospectively it will make sense for everybody, but it takes vision to create a new product like that. That being said, I don't think a watch-like device would be as huge as the Iphone or the Ipad are.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Whatever functions the watch has (suggestions above), make the form factor resemble a Patek Phillipe tank watch...

Attachments

• watch.png
    watch.png
    330.6 KB · Views: 82

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
A round high-reflective contrast display (eg epaper) with a single physical button on the side to toggle the touch controls (tap) and Siri remote (hold). Fully customizable mount. Most importantly, BT 4.0 connectivity to other Apple devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.