Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
NickH88
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
looking to get MBP with optical drive - should I buy cMBP NOW?

I'm most likely getting an MBP, and while I do like the Retina display, a built-in optical drive is important to me, so I'm planning on the classic MBP model rather than the Retina. I want one of the customized configurations of the cMBP. I understand that the next set of MBPs (released in July) will likely all be Retina, so do you all expect that they will be without the optical drive like last year's Retina models? I'm thinking that this will be the case, and if so, then I will regret waiting to find out. I also don't know how long I will have after the reveal of the new models before the 2012 classic models will no longer be for sale outside of the Refurbished Mac section of the Apple Store (does anyone have any idea?), where my custom configuration would be very hard to come by and may require waiting a long time.

Is now the time to buy the classic MBP if I want an MBP with an optical drive, or should I wait and see whether any of the summer models have them?

Thanks!

Last edited by NickH88; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
NickH88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:40 AM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
If 2013 MBP models all have Retina Displays, they will not have an ODD anymore.
But you can still purchase 2012 cMBPs via the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store once 2013 MBPs are released, if those 2013 models are not to your liking.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:53 AM   #3
NickH88
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
If 2013 MBP models all have Retina Displays, they will not have an ODD anymore.
But you can still purchase 2012 cMBPs via the Refurbished Mac section in the Apple Online Store once 2013 MBPs are released, if those 2013 models are not to your liking.
I understand that, but I've also read that my custom configuration will be hard to come by on there (it may be quite awhile before it shows up). Plus, I'd rather buy now and not wait months for the reveal of the July models, but if there's much of a chance that any of them will have optical drives, then maybe I'll wait.
NickH88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:34 AM   #4
NickH88
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Florida
Since I want an MBP with an optical drive, do you all suggest that I wait and see whether any of the summer models have them, or should I go ahead and buy a classic MBP now?
NickH88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:55 AM   #5
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core
 
simsaladimbamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: located
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH88 View Post
Since I want an MBP with an optical drive, do you all suggest that I wait and see whether any of the summer models have them, or should I go ahead and buy a classic MBP now?
We do not know, if Apple continues to offer the cMBP, it probably still sells quite good, but today's announcement of reduced prices for the MacBook Pro with Retina Display might indicate, that they sell quite good and do not need to be that expensive anymore due to better factory settings.

It is really up to you.

And if you live near an Apple Store, you might still be lucky enough to get a cMBP on the day of a 2013 release in case the 2013 MBPs shed the ODD.
__________________
FREEdomly passports. Circumwent bürocrazy.
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
tdhurst
macrumors 68040
 
tdhurst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH88 View Post
Since I want an MBP with an optical drive, do you all suggest that I wait and see whether any of the summer models have them, or should I go ahead and buy a classic MBP now?
No new model of Apple laptop will ever again come with an optical drive.

The ones out now are the last you'll see.
__________________
Twitter - tdhurst
I blog here.
2013 13" rMBP i5, 2.4 c2d Mac Mini, iPhone 5, Apple TV 3.
tdhurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Can't see Apple keeping any internal optical drives in future Macs (except the Pro)

Why lug around a optical drive anyway. Better to use the space for batteries.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:52 AM   #8
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickH88 View Post
I'm most likely getting an MBP, and while I do like the Retina display, a built-in optical drive is important to me, so I'm planning on the classic MBP model rather than the Retina. I want one of the customized configurations of the cMBP. I understand that the next set of MBPs (released in July) will likely all be Retina, so do you all expect that they will be without the optical drive like last year's Retina models?!
"All Retina" is unlikely. Retina requires a much bigger battery, taking more space. Less space for anything else means no hard drive. No hard drive means no storage over 256 GB for money that most people are willing to pay. The cheapest MBP is £999. The cheapest Retina MBP is £1449. The £999 MBP can be upgraded to 16GB, 1TB very cheaply. Switching to "all Retina" would lose Apple an awful lot of customers.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:44 PM   #9
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
"All Retina" is unlikely. Retina requires a much bigger battery, taking more space. Less space for anything else means no hard drive. No hard drive means no storage over 256 GB for money that most people are willing to pay. The cheapest MBP is £999. The cheapest Retina MBP is £1449. The £999 MBP can be upgraded to 16GB, 1TB very cheaply. Switching to "all Retina" would lose Apple an awful lot of customers.
Two days later... the cheapest Retina MBP is £1249...
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Tags
cmbp, mbp, optical drive, retina

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cmbp ssd optical question dragonren Mac Basics and Help 1 Sep 18, 2013 09:55 PM
Should I replace my optical drive or buy an external one? mossme89 MacBook Pro 6 May 18, 2013 12:51 AM
Buy cMBP or rMBP? Screen just shattered on 09 MBP... kmj2318 MacBook Pro 25 Jan 5, 2013 11:52 AM
Nice buy Slim external optical drive just came in bobright iMac 2 Dec 28, 2012 04:03 PM
Anyone recommend a cheap external optical drive for cMBP? Star Nuts MacBook Pro 1 Sep 2, 2012 09:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:23 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC