Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:57 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

HBO Now Allows Subscribers to Stream HBO Go to Apple TV using AirPlay

At today's AllThingsD Dive Into Media Conference, HBO's Eric Kessler announced that from this moment forward, HBO subscribers will be able to use AirPlay with the HBO Go app.

"Our longterm goal for Go is to be on all devices all platforms," said Kessler.*HBO Go is HBO's streaming service that allows subscribers to watch HBO content on PCs, tablets, and consoles.

At this time, HBO Go is not available on the Apple TV, but an app is available for the iPad and the iPhone. With today's changes, iDevices are able to stream HBO Go content to the Apple TV using AirPlay, but the two companies are planning to bring a native HBO Go app to the Apple TV.

"We will get on Apple TV as we've said all along," Kessler said.

Currently, the Apple TV only supports streaming content from subscription apps like Netflix and Hulu Plus, but Apple has been making efforts to expand its content offerings.

Article Link: HBO Now Allows Subscribers to Stream HBO Go to Apple TV using AirPlay
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

Awesome!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Well, it's a start!
gmanist1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:59 PM   #4
Sky Blue

Always had horrid video quality when I've tried AirPlay from an iOS device to Apple TV, but will give this a go.
Sky Blue is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:01 PM   #5
macrumors newbie

That's a decent sized domino to fall as we wait for a la carte media distribution to become the norm.
24601 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:03 PM   #6
nrose101
macrumors member

Bout Time. Now we need a vudo app and a native appletv HBO app!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:04 PM   #7
ECUpirate44
Banned

Only on a mac 2011 or newer!

Edit: Alright alright, you got me... I didn't read the article correctly . I'm still bitter about not being able to use Airplay with my 2010 MBP...

Last edited by ECUpirate44; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
ECUpirate44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

So I can use my iOS device when it is connected to my home network, the same network that is connected to my cable internet service, to AirPlay HBO to my TV now? How about just bypassing all of that by either turning on my cable box or introducing an app for the TV?
iMikeT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:11 PM   #9
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
That's a decent sized domino to fall as we wait for a la carte media distribution to become the norm.
Huh? All they're doing is providing their customers access to a service they already pay for, and apparently expecting those customers to wait with bated breath. You can't access HBO Go without subscribing to a traditional cable TV service and paying for the traditional HBO premium channel tier.

I have my doubts that the ancient channels and cable companies will ever loosen their grip in a way that would let someone like Apple give us a modern experience, so at this point it's probably up to Netflix and others to make them obsolete.
swarmster is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmster View Post
Huh? All they're doing is providing their customers access to a service they already pay for, and apparently expecting those customers to wait with bated breath. You can't access HBO Go without subscribing to a traditional cable TV service and paying for the traditional HBO premium channel tier.

I have my doubts that the ancient channels and cable companies will ever loosen their grip in a way that would let someone like Apple give us a modern experience, so at this point it's probably up to Netflix and others to make them obsolete.
Good point, I wish HBO would offer a web-based subscription service like Netflix. Or just offer their shows on Netflix, like AMC does.
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:31 PM   #11
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24601 View Post
But you need an HBO subscription for the app...and you need a cable subscription for HBO. Cable companies are still screwing everyone unfortunately.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:32 PM   #12
d21mike
macrumors 68020

What about MAX GO. Isn't that owned by the same company?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:27 PM   #13
newagemac
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Always had horrid video quality when I've tried AirPlay from an iOS device to Apple TV, but will give this a go.
Airplay works fantastic for me. There is no reduction in video quality using Airplay because the way it works, there is no compression. You get the same video quality as the file itself. You must have turned on mirroring. If you use mirroring, the quality of the video is dependent on your network. When Airplay is supported by the app (like this one), mirroring isn't required.
newagemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by newagemac View Post
Airplay works fantastic for me. There is no reduction in video quality using Airplay because the way it works, there is no compression. You get the same video quality as the file itself. You must have turned on mirroring. If you use mirroring, the quality of the video is dependent on your network. When Airplay is supported by the app (like this one), mirroring isn't required.
maybe that's it, thanks.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #15
rorschach
macrumors 68000

Finally
rorschach is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:06 PM   #16
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Great, now let me buy it.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:21 PM   #17
brettcovington
macrumors newbie

Should I wait to buy an Apple TV? Is a new model expected soon?
brettcovington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:28 PM   #18
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Love my ATV....use it all the time....but why should I bother with streaming HBOGo with Airplay to it.....when my Xbox360 has a native HBOGo app?

More and more my 360 does everything my ATV does....except have the ability to stream/rent from the iTunes store....but M$ has the same content available through it's own store.

The ATV is much better at accessing/displaying my media library though. Connect360 will do it, but when you have thousands of files the presentation is sorely lacking, to the point of useless. The ATV does so in excellent fashion.

I guess what I'm saying....is the 360 has apps for HBOGo, Netflix, Hulu+, NHL, etc.... (many etc, BTW) so whats the holdup for ATV????
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:09 PM   #19
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
Love my ATV....use it all the time....but why should I bother with streaming HBOGo with Airplay to it.....when my Xbox360 has a native HBOGo app?

More and more my 360 does everything my ATV does....except have the ability to stream/rent from the iTunes store....but M$ has the same content available through it's own store.

The ATV is much better at accessing/displaying my media library though. Connect360 will do it, but when you have thousands of files the presentation is sorely lacking, to the point of useless. The ATV does so in excellent fashion.

I guess what I'm saying....is the 360 has apps for HBOGo, Netflix, Hulu+, NHL, etc.... (many etc, BTW) so whats the holdup for ATV????

dont you have to be a membef of xbox gold?..
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:24 PM   #20
hipnetic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Diver View Post
If you're an avid gamer with an XBox 360 and a Gold membership, then you're right. Stick with the XBox 360. In fact, why do you even own an ATV at all? I've got a Windows Media Center server and an XBox 360 in another room as an extender, but that's really all I use it for. I don't play games and don't have a Gold membership. And the thought of paying for a Gold membership (for each individual XBox) just so I can then pay extra for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBOGo feels like a ripoff to me.

And let's not forget that the XBox 360 is bigger, louder, more power-hungry, and more expensive than an ATV.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:00 PM   #21
sinsin07
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipnetic View Post
If you're an avid gamer with an XBox 360 and a Gold membership, then you're right. Stick with the XBox 360. In fact, why do you even own an ATV at all? I've got a Windows Media Center server and an XBox 360 in another room as an extender, but that's really all I use it for. I don't play games and don't have a Gold membership. And the thought of paying for a Gold membership (for each individual XBox) just so I can then pay extra for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBOGo feels like a ripoff to me.

And let's not forget that the XBox 360 is bigger, louder, more power-hungry, and more expensive than an ATV.
+1
Quote:
And the thought of paying for a Gold membership (for each individual XBox) just so I can then pay extra for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBOGo feels like a ripoff to me.
So true. It is a ripoff.

Quote:
Sounds like a jet taking off LOL.
sinsin07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:55 PM   #22
CocoaPuffs
macrumors 68010

Anyone have issues with running it on ATV iOS 5.0.2?
CocoaPuffs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:13 PM   #23
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
In fact, why do you even own an ATV at all?
The only Windows machine I have is my work laptop, and it's strictly work only.

My main system is my iMac with a replaced 2Tb internal drive and twin 2Tb FW800 externals. All of my digital media, my mp3's, movies (300+), photos...everything is on my iMac and managed with iTunes (and iPhoto).

The ATV presents my personal media FAR superior than the XBox with 360Connect does. 90% of my ATV use is to stream my media from my iMac to my entertainment system (HDTV, Surround system, etc) or to rent movies from iTunes. The interface to my personal media is a pleasure to use.

Accessing my digital media through the Xbox, with 360Connect.....sux basically. It works, yes, but navigating through, or searching for, something I want to watch or listen to....just not great at all. If I had a Windows system with Media Center managing it all, I'm sure this issue would be exactly opposite!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:31 PM   #24
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcovington View Post
Should I wait to buy an Apple TV? Is a new model expected soon?
Hard question to answer. I will say this though. Apple TV Airplay is GREAT, but if you are looking for channels to stream, or functionality within the channels that do exist then you should look elsewhere. I have found Roku to be the best, but almost everyone bests Apple TV....Except for Airplay.

Also I think V3 (current) does not have jailbrake just yet either. So will be stuck with stock firmware.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:24 PM   #25
calisurfboy
macrumors member

Send a message via Yahoo to calisurfboy
I would gladly pay to subscribe to HBO if I could pay directly to HBO and by-pass cable companies. They are bad as the phone companies with some of the BEING the phone companies. I canceled cable several years ago after I realized I was paying a monthy fee to watch commercials. Seriously. FOX FX plays the same movies every other weekend (Day after Tomorrow, Fantastic Four) where you have 6 min of movie, 3 min of commercials. Drove me nuts.

Film media need to get on the same bandwagon that the music industry has transformed into these past few years.
calisurfboy is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion