Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
Hello everyone,

I am currently a Senior in college pursuing a B.S. in Information Systems. I just made my schedule for next quarter and alot of my classes arent offered. This is going to push me back a bit. My question is, do companies hire people close to getting out of college? I want to start applying for a job for when i get out/this summer and on, but I don't want applying to all of these companies to hurt me in the future. Has anyone heard of a company hiring a person working on their degree. Just an FYI i only have like 6 courses I have to take after next quarter. I hope to get all of these done over the summer. Thanks in advance!

bigMAC28

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Chicago
I had an internship with a different company in the same industry. The company I took a position with came to the university to recruit and I applied

Ok cool. So it is possible, I just dont want to miss hiring season at the beginning of summer. Thanks alot.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I would encourage you to interview even if you don't think you'll be hired. It's a win-win. If not hired, it's still great practice and an opportunity to network. If you are hired, then you're making money when classes aren't available.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I should maybe clarify the above. I was not working for the company during the remaining 2 terms. They were recruiting their summer graduate intake for year X (starting in July) in November/December of year X-1...

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
I started my internship with 3 quarters left of schooling. My internship turned into my job after the first quarter was up.

The last 2 quarters I was taking classes I scheduled and spread classes out so I could work as many hours for them as possible why still taking classes. Heck, they even paid for one class each quarter which saved me some money.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Ok cool. So it is possible, I just dont want to miss hiring season at the beginning of summer. Thanks alot.

Don't worry about hiring "season" - companies hire when they need people. They won't necessarily wait for a particular time of year.

Also, don't forget that people graduate from college at several different times of the year. :cool:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
When I was finishing college and I saw a job listing that looked good I'd send them my resume with a cover letter that basically asked them to keep me on the top of their stack and to call me when a similar opening existed in the future. This got me two interviews for jobs that were never posted.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
This is actually not only a common practice, but an encouraged one. having a job before you graduate is considered being smart and proactive. Waiting till you graduate means possibly months of job hunting after with no money. Do it while your still in school!

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
A lot of people have jobs lined up before they are done. Like has already been stated its pretty common. Although I know with the job market how it is less people have jobs coming out, its common practice to offer someone a job upon completion, sometimes the job has a stipulation that the offer is only good once you complete your degree.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.