Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Swampyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Hi

I'm interested in buying a little app called YNAB to use for home expenditure tracking for tax etc.

I quite liked the simple interface of YNAB compared to the many other financial apps out there.

The issue is that it is not on the App store and when I asked why, the developer said Apple does not allow apps created using Adobe Air on their App store.

So the question is, does Adobe Air create a security risk or can it effect my Mac performance in a negative way, or is this just a policy from Apple that has more to do with competing software technologies?

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Apple doesn't want programs on the MAS that require another application to install or use, more or less. Otherwise, Adobe AIR isn't terrible. Before Twitter bought TweetDeck it used AIR.

Swampyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2013
Thanks for the post.

So Apps created in Adobe Air are not a security risk or anything like that, and will not play any havoc with the operating system?

(Please excuse these ignorant questions as I am new to Mac).

Regards

Swampyy

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
There's always the potential for both, but it's vanishingly small. You shouldn't have any issues installing and using programs that require Adobe AIR.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
There have been security exploits found in AIR before, but from what I recall they all affected Windows only.

AIR could probably be considered safe if only for the reason that it's not particularly popular...

pezdaddy

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Fwiw, I use YNAB daily and there are no problems with it that affect my iMac. Performance is fine, doesn't slow the machine down, has never crashed, etc. The adobe air install shouldn't give you any problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.