Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

I like a smaller screen.

Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.
luqtotheman is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:19 PM   #2
RichardC300
macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are the only one.
RichardC300 is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:22 PM   #3
macnoodle
macrumors newbie

No, you're not the only one. A phone is always going to be a compromise as far as the screen is concerned, so why make it a compromise in the phone department as well? The larger phones look ridiculous and feel uncomfortable to hold when being used as a phone. IMO they are trying too hard to be the master of all trades, and ultimately they sacrifice too much in the process.
macnoodle is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Feed Me
Banned

Quote:
Yes you are the only one.
Quote:
No you aren't the only one.
And as such, the thread comes to a close.

Except: this is the internet:
Where no infraction upon my opinion shall be tolerated, and therefore: this thread will run into 6 pages of to-ing and fro-ing.

Godspeed to you all.

Last edited by Feed Me; Feb 12, 2013 at 07:13 PM.
Feed Me is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:43 PM   #5
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

I like the smallest device possible. I've been wanting a 3.5 wrapped in a smaller body. I go mountain biking with my phone and big phones get in the way.
Jimmy James is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:17 PM   #6
rusty2192
macrumors 6502a

I don't really care if they make a bigger iPhone. But if they do, they better keep the smaller one too. If the only iPhone is bigger than 4", I'll have to either keep my 4S or just get a 5 next time I upgrade.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:42 PM   #7
xkmxkmxlmx
macrumors 6502a

I would like a slightly wider phone than the 5. Doesn't have to be Note size, but something close to s3 would be nice.

I mainly like to read books on my phone. And just a touch bigger would be perfect for me.

Also, I already use two hands on my iPhone 4 to text/type, so that wouldn't be an issue.
xkmxkmxlmx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:00 PM   #8
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I love the size of the iPhone 5. I could tolerate a larger screen but wouldn't prefer it to be bigger, if that makes sense haha.
TyPod is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:05 PM   #9
iUseBoth
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen? I wasn't even in favor for the larger iPhone 5 screen but glad they didn't make it wider.

The big phones look ridiculous on you when you are on the phone and you need two hands to type. I do value the one hand use. Putting them in your pocket is annoying too and I'm a taller guy. Larger screen means less battery life as well.

If I want a larger screen I use a tablet or computer, I want my phone to be extremely portable and long lasting.
you must have really small hands. My wife uses her GS3 with one hand all day and twice on Sunday.

You should play a youtube video on your iPhone and on a SGS3 side by side and see where your eyes go.
iUseBoth is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:17 AM   #10
luqtotheman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUseBoth View Post
you must have really small hands. My wife uses her GS3 with one hand all day and twice on Sunday.

You should play a youtube video on your iPhone and on a SGS3 side by side and see where your eyes go.
I'm. 6'4 with big hands i can easily hold a mini ipad easily.
luqtotheman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iUseBoth View Post

to my ipad?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:36 AM   #12
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste Nova View Post
to my ipad?
Amen Brother!
HiddenPuppy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:14 PM   #13
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by luqtotheman View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want a larger screen?
Don't feel bad. I wanted a triangular screen. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
I like the smallest device possible. I've been wanting a 3.5 wrapped in a smaller body. I go mountain biking with my phone and big phones get in the way.
Wow, your iPhone must take a beating. What case do you have? Otterbox Sherman Tank Edition?
Solomani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:12 AM   #14
taedouni
macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry but you need to check out the galaxy note 2 and tell me if battery is an issue. Remember, a larger phone will mean a larger battery. Also, larger phones don't require 326 ppi in order to look good.

I personally feel that a 4.3-4.5" screen would do the iPhone justice. I struggle with the keyboard due to having large hands.
taedouni is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:17 PM   #15
dsa1971
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by taedouni View Post
I'm sorry but you need to check out the galaxy note 2 and tell me if battery is an issue. Remember, a larger phone will mean a larger battery. Also, larger phones don't require 326 ppi in order to look good.

I personally feel that a 4.3-4.5" screen would do the iPhone justice. I struggle with the keyboard due to having large hands.
I have the 4s but wouldn't mind slightly larger. I had considered switching to motorola razr m which is 4.3" and I think a perfect size but the screen is subpar compared to iphone and the camera is not good either. i'll probably switch to iPhone 5. Not really interested in 5" iPhone.
dsa1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

I haven't investigated very recently, but there seems to be a distinct lack of high-end, smaller-screened Android phones. If you want one of the better Android phones it seems like you're given one option; big screen.

And since I prefer a smaller overall device it's actually Android that is lacking in appropriate options or me.
Jimmy James is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:48 AM   #17
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

I dont know if its just me of that apple's Iphone screen are bigger than what is said in the spec sheet.

I used to own an Android 3.7 screen and it look smaller than Iphone 4. Then i went on to try typing in the 4 inch windowphone which is still not comfortable for me.

Now i owned an Iphone 4 and typing on this device is way better than my old blackberry. i use two hand to type as well (old habits) I got big hands but it is still doable on iphone screen. I have no idea why.
raccoonboy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:20 PM   #18
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

The perfect screen size for 98% of the male population living in North America (Canada to Mexico) is 5.8".

The perfect screen size for 98% of the same population in the female variety is 5.2".

There are many studies purporting this.
Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:23 PM   #19
ericrwalker
Banned

Source please? I want to verify that you're still talking about the screen size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis2004 View Post
The perfect screen size for 98% of the male population living in North America (Canada to Mexico) is 5.8".

The perfect screen size for 98% of the same population in the female variety is 5.2".

There are many studies purporting this.
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
Source please?
Of course.
Luis2004 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:28 AM   #21
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020

It's called personal preference. For me, a 4 inch screen is way to small for every day use. ESPECIALLY one handed. Typing is cramped in portrait mode. So for me, the 4.7 inch screen on my Nexus 4 is perfect. It fits beautifully in the hand and one handed use is a breeze. But that's just ME.

I also love how before the iPhone 5 came out, people were like

"3.5 inch screens are perfect. 4 is too big."

now

"4 inch screens are perfect. Anything bigger is too big"

Use what works for you. If you have tiny hands or feel that screens that are a 1/2 inch larger are too uncomfortable, choose what you like based on your needs.
Slate iPad Mini 16gb (iOS 8.1)
TacticalDesire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:50 AM   #22
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
It's called personal preference. .
Which is great. And something that Apple has always struggled with. Their geek squad cooks something up and the rest of us have to buy it...or else.

My preference would also be a smaller phone. And one that works on all major international networks. And supports UMA. And let's me easily use icloud push mail with my own personal email address/SMTP server.

What? I'm not happy that such basics are missing? Must be a "hater" then. Problem also is that "the other side" (just like in the PC world) is busy copying Apple's pretty designs instead of offering alternatives for the "average techie".

So, despite all the fabulous innovations there is always an issue - which is why I still haven't bought either a new phone, new laptop or desktop and try to make due with some pretty ancient devices at this point (even for my standards). I know I'm a bit picky and I may have some special needs that are irrelevant for most people, but still.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:29 AM   #23
cardinalryan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDesire View Post
It's called personal preference. For me, a 4 inch screen is way to small for every day use. ESPECIALLY one handed. Typing is cramped in portrait mode. So for me, the 4.7 inch screen on my Nexus 4 is perfect. It fits beautifully in the hand and one handed use is a breeze. But that's just ME.

I also love how before the iPhone 5 came out, people were like

"3.5 inch screens are perfect. 4 is too big."

now

"4 inch screens are perfect. Anything bigger is too big"

Use what works for you. If you have tiny hands or feel that screens that are a 1/2 inch larger are too uncomfortable, choose what you like based on your needs.
This is true, but there is also an indicator of trends and clearly a larger form factor is winning out.

I have nothing against anyone who loves a minuscule screen, if that suits you then more power to you. However, it's very difficult for me to fathom how people can be so blindly loyal to one company, i.e. Apple, that they refuse to see that there is something better.
cardinalryan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:57 AM   #24
chakraj
macrumors 65816

I didnt have time to read the thread, but I know just what he means by the title.

I have the galaxy Note 2, and just love the small screen on it, its the perfect size. I went and looked at the nexus 7 and it was just to big to fit comfortably in my jeans. I am so happy with the small 5.5 inch screen of the note 2. I think just like the rest of you that its the perfect size for a phone.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:41 PM   #25
vikingjunior
macrumors 6502

I guess the OP is going to love the iwatch. March 14 Galaxy s4 "the next BIG thing"!
vikingjunior is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone