Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:27 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Has Team of 100 Product Designers Working on a Smart Watch

Bloomberg is reporting that Apple has a team of about 100 product designers working on a wristwatch computer, according to "two people familiar with the company's plans." The New York Times previously reported that Apple had been "experimenting" with a curved glass smart watch, but Bloomberg believes that Apple's smart watch plans have moved beyond the experimental phase.

Quote:
The team, which has grown in the past year, includes managers, members of the marketing group and software and hardware engineers who previously worked on the iPhone and iPad, said the people, who asked not to be named because the plans are private. The team's size suggests Apple is beyond the experimentation phase in its development, said the people.
Apple's senior director of engineering, James Foster, is said to be one of the managers working on the project, which happens to involve challenges like creating a smart watch that doesn't have to be charged every day. The smart watch, known colloquially by some as the "iWatch," would be able to do some of the same tasks as the iPad and iPhone.

Bloomberg also mentions that Apple had been planning a wearable fitness tracking device, much like Nike FuelBand or Jawbone Up, but that Apple had decided not to bring them to market. Apple CEO Tim Cook is a Nike board member and spoke about his own Nike FuelBand at the D10 Conference last year, also saying that wearable devices were an "interesting area" but that "the book hasn't been written on that one yet."

Article Link: Apple Has Team of 100 Product Designers Working on a Smart Watch
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Ill buy one
Spink10 is online now   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
robjulo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink10 View Post
Ill buy one
Sight unseen, you'll buy one.
robjulo is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjulo View Post
Sight unseen, you'll buy one.
There was a little sarcasm in my post.
Spink10 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Squilly
macrumors 68000

@Spink10, I won't, even if there were 1000 people working on this watch. Check the watch's statistics in the real world. Not very popular. I hate the idea anyways. Make something else if you're trying to be ambitious.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:33 PM   #6
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
@Spink10, I won't, even if there were 1000 people working on this watch. Check the watch's statistics in the real world. Not very popular. I hate the idea anyways. Make something else if you're trying to be ambitious.
It'll be a "watch" as much as the iPhone is a phone -- which is to say, that wont be its compelling purpose.
arn is offline   32 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #7
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

I'd prefer Apple to employ an extra 1000 software developers so we can finally get updates to Mac software like iWorks 09, iLife 11.... rather than yet another 'me too' device.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/product...es/smartwatch/
MacRumorUser is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:20 PM   #8
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
I'd prefer Apple to employ an extra 1000 software developers so we can finally get updates to Mac software like iWorks 09, iLife 11.... rather than yet another 'me too' device.

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/product...es/smartwatch/
Maybe Apple will make a watch that people wearing watches would consider buying?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:44 PM   #9
blucurv
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
It'll be a "watch" as much as the iPhone is a phone -- which is to say, that wont be its compelling purpose.
I think there's some potential in this. My wife currently uses the previous gen silver nano with some thin black bracelet straps and it looks quite chic. Coolest watch she's ever had.

Now if they pushed the concept further, we can see the evolution of the iPod, in which it's more wearable.

Here's what Nokia had as a concept a while ago. Shame it never materialized.
blucurv is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:24 PM   #10
twotwo11
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucurv View Post

Here's what Nokia had as a concept a while ago. Shame it never materialized.
Thank you! I was looking for this.
twotwo11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
I would agree that if such a watch were produced, telling (possibly literally) the time will be as central to it's function as the Alarm app is on your iPhone.

While I am not an expert on the Words Of Jobs, didn't he say something like Apple doesn't produce what people tell Apple they want, Apple tells people what they need in their devices.

Finally, I know that the comparison is essentially spurious, but the whole "curve" thing has been done before...in about 1930. Admittedly just a watch that diplays the time, but curved in both the body and the glass. I own one...

Gruen Curvex Watch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	curvex.png
Views:	8
Size:	786.3 KB
ID:	396519  
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:29 PM   #12
Joesmith13245
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I would agree that if such a watch were produced, telling (possibly literally) the time will be as central to it's function as the Alarm app is on your iPhone.

While I am not an expert on the Words Of Jobs, didn't he say something like Apple doesn't produce what people tell Apple they want, Apple tells people what they need in their devices.

Finally, I know that the comparison is essentially spurious, but the whole "curve" thing has been done before...in about 1930. Admittedly just a watch that diplays the time, but curved in both the body and the glass. I own one...

Gruen Curvex Watch...
I feel a patent lawsuit brewing.
Joesmith13245 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:34 PM   #13
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Just because it's unpopular isn't a reason not to buy it. I'm kinda excited about this, but I only have expectations.
Fatalbert is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:48 AM   #14
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Check the watch's statistics in the real world. Not very popular.
That's the criteria I apply to any product buying decision too! If everyone else hates it, I hate it. If everyone else loves it, I'm first in line to get one. I have no mind of my own, you see, I require everyone else to give me my opinions.

As long as it's not an iPod nano attached to your wrist, if it's thin and looks nice I can see this being something very interesting - I wear a watch all the time and if my watch could do other things (without being big, bulky or ugly) then what price do I pay, other than to have a bunch of teenage know-it-alls think that I'm wearing something stupid?

I think it's ridiculous all the people dismissing the idea without knowing anything (not one thing) at all about the product. I'm not saying I'm definitely buying one, but the concept is very intriguing and I'll be looking at it very closely when/if one is released.
WilliamLondon is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Jimmy James
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Check smartphone usage until 2007. Not very popular. Along came Apple...
Jimmy James is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:31 PM   #16
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
I kind of want them focused on products that people actually want. I am not sure this watch is that big of a deal.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:32 PM   #17
HE15MAN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
I kind of want them focused on products that people actually want. I am not sure this watch is that big of a deal.
Same here. Who cares about a watch
HE15MAN is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:37 PM   #18
Idgit
macrumors 6502

I'm going to call BS on this.

Tim Cook said Apple will only enter a field if they can greatly improve it or disrupt it. I don't see how a "curved" glass watch disrupts anything. And I can't imagine that Apple would sell that many of these.

Or could this be a device targeted strictly for fitness? A combo pedometer, GPS device, radio, and phone for exercising?
Idgit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:39 PM   #19
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idgit View Post

Tim Cook said Apple will only enter a field if they can greatly improve it or disrupt it. I don't see how a "curved" glass watch disrupts anything. And I can't imagine that Apple would sell that many of these.
Does software not count for anything? Are you really picturing a curved watch that just shows the time?

arn
arn is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:04 PM   #20
kikima
macrumors member

Quote:

Or could this be a device targeted strictly for fitness? A combo pedometer, GPS device, radio, and phone for exercising?
What if the watch summoned an interactive OS onto a nearby hard surface? Like an instant, virtual iPad screen saved in and retrieved from the cloud.
kikima is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:11 AM   #21
sinfonye
macrumors member

Quote:

Don't think of it as a watch.

A miniature wearable iphone and iPod that gives bluetooth-free hands-free, allows control of smart devices, and connects to your car and tv
could be an interesting device and might even kill bigger phones.
It's kind of what google is aiming for with google
glasses, but without the clunky, awkward Joe 90 feel...
sinfonye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:43 AM   #22
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:

oh boy, where have you been for the past 5 years? Apple can slap their logo on a wooden slab with no function and sell a ton of them.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:45 PM   #23
ghettochris
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HE15MAN View Post
You could be right, or you could be just like those people who said the same sort of thing about the iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc... History repeats itself often, but we usually only see it in hindsight.

I think Steve Jobs was right about people not knowing what they want.

Why would I be happy with a phone I have to pull out of my pocket and look at? there has got to be a better way, whether it's a google glass type thing you can see without holding a brick up to your face, or siri just tells you what you want to know, more like having a conversation with a person when you want to know something, rather than having to read words.

google glass is the future when technology allows it and all the people who won't wear one because they think they look silly die out. Terminator vision is coming eventually, how could you not want it?
ghettochris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:10 PM   #24
loon3y
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HE15MAN View Post
lol it looks so lame, if im getting a watch im gettin a rolex, not some digital crap.

(then again i talked **** about the ipad mini, but i fell in love with it)
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:50 PM   #25
mentholiptus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob81 View Post
Brilliant point. With their entire staff of 100 on this, it'll be forever until they can work on anything else.

This project must be the reason they're building that new campus.
mentholiptus is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion