Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:32 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's 4.8-Inch iPhone 6 Reportedly Not Launching Until Mid-2014

Amid circulating rumors of a larger display for the iPhone, Jefferies analyst Peter Misek today reported that he does not see the device launching until mid-2014. Misek argues that problems with display yield and substantial other changes for the iPhone 6 will make a 2013 launch unlikely. Some rumors had suggested that Apple might be able to launch an iPhone 5S and a lower-cost iPhone in mid-2013 and follow with a larger iPhone as soon as late this year.
Quote:
We see three possible bottlenecks for the iPhone that could contribute to lower yields (and hence higher costs) and/or a delayed launch.

- App processor production at 20nm. Apple's current iPhone app processor is on 32nm. For the iPhone 6 we think Apple will likely skip over 28nm and go to 20nm to facilitate adding more cores (4 or even 8). While TSMC is targeting a 2014 ramp in its 20nm production we think that issues like double patterning could make it a more complicated transition than the 28nm ramp, which had its own substantial ramp and yield issues.

- Display shifting from in-cell LCD to on-cell OLED or IGZO. We think in- cell is having difficulty ramping to 4.8", which is making Apple look at switching to on-cell (a different integrated touchscreen technology) and OLED (despite Apple's suppliers being well behind Samsung in their OLED capabilities) or IGZO.

- Revamped OS. We think Apple plans to re-architect iOS to utilize more cores and better compete with Samsung. Also, we believe the way iOS interoperates with iCloud, gestures controls, and advertising will be substantially upgraded.
Misek first noted the existence of 4.8-inch iPhone prototypes in December, but last month indicated that he was seeing no further signs of the device. The larger iPhone appears to have now returned to his radar but with a longer time horizon than originally thought.

Overall, Misek sees his claimed television product event coming next month with the iPhone 5S and lower-cost iPhone following in the June/July timeframe. He does not see any iPad updates until the fall, when both the full-size iPad and the iPad mini would be updated around the same time as the launch of the Apple television set.

Misek's track record is, however, rather mixed with previous claims of an Apple competitor to Netflix not panning out and only being half correct about the iPhone coming to Sprint and T-Mobile in 2011.

Article Link: Apple's 4.8-Inch iPhone 6 Reportedly Not Launching Until Mid-2014
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

I wonder if analysts ever get cramps in their arms from throwing all this #$&*@ against the wall to see what sticks.
inkswamp is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3
imgonephishin
macrumors regular

I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.
imgonephishin is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Macrolido
macrumors regular

All we need is a revamped iOS.
Macrolido is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

Smartphone screen size has hit a plateau.

Been discussing with friends who've been using android, the sweet spot from them is below 5 inch and above 4.2...

So apple could really take their time to develop bigger screen phone.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:42 AM   #6
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by imgonephishin View Post
I've long been tired of the "Apple better do X quickly or they'll miss the opportunity forever." (see: blu-ray, 3G for the iPhone, etc.)

So I won't go so far as to say, "THEY NEED A BIGGER SCREEN OR THE COMPANY WILL DIE."

But they need to do something. iOS is getting desperately long-in-tooth. Aside from a slightly longer screen, very little has changed about the hardware in 3+ years now. I'm not counting them out, but I starting to get a little antsy.
You know Ive is working on iOS and the new 'look' for it. Don't be surprised to see that as a 'big' release later this spring.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
Smartphone screen size has hit a plateau.

Been discussing with friends who've been using android, the sweet spot from them is below 5 inch and above 4.2...

So apple could really take their time to develop bigger screen phone.
4.6 is the sweet spot. Said that a while back. Apple should move up to that and no bigger.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:00 AM   #8
wizard
macrumors 68040

Why would you buy every iPhone ever made? I've owned exactly two iPhones since Apple has come out with them. Currently on an iPhone 4 and likely will stay with it until it becomes troublesome.

As to iPads I get far more value out of my iPad 3 than my iPhone or MBP for that matter. Even so I don't update every cycle there either. Frankly I work hard for my dollars and spend them carefully. Further I avoid getting emotional about a product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlrollin91 View Post
I can honestly say if Apple comes out with 4.8" screen I will not be buying it. I've had every iPhone since the 3G and 4.8" is just too big. The iPhone 5 is a pretty decent size. I have no need for a mini iPad Mini. It's just too much.
wizard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:54 PM   #9
Sedrick
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Who's twisting your arm to buy it? Cripes, don't then. Buy the 4" model they'll still have.

Well if interest in the 5S has any baring on Apple's stock, it should slide. I hope they have more for 2013 than that. 2014 (mid to late) for this supposed 4.8" is a crap shoot at best. Anyone can make a wild guess what Apple is going to be doing a year from now.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:04 PM   #10
TripHop
macrumors regular

Any iPhone Taller Than 125mm/5in Won't Fit In My Breast Pocket

Quote:
I agree. The problem I have with a larger screen is not that I wouldn't like it, but that any iPhone more than 5" tall won't fit in the standard button down breast pockets that all my cotton flannel shirts hold my iPhone in. From what I can tell, the 5" phones are closer to 6" tall and that won't let my breast pocket's button close. I would have to devise a rubber band fastener while a 5" iPhone's top would be peeking over the 5" top of standard breast pockets.
TripHop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

iPhone and iPhone Mini
Eadfrith is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:50 AM   #12
tylernol
macrumors member

Quote:

What do you mean by "Very little has changed about the hardware". Do you mean how it looks? Because Apple is not going to drastically change the looks, they will refine it. They got it right the first time. Perhaps an updated UI with iOS7 this year. And in terms of actual hardware/chips, the A6 and LTE chipset are a huge improvement.
tylernol is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:51 AM   #13
MacFather
macrumors 6502

"For the first time ever we've increased the size of the display. By making the screen taller, but NOT WIDER, you can still comfortably use it with one hand." - Jony Ive

"It is really easy to make a new product that is bigger, everyone does that, that's not the challenge, the challenge is to make it better, AND SMALLER". - Phil Schiller
MacFather is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:17 AM   #14
lilo777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post
"For the first time ever we've increased the size of the display. By making the screen taller, but NOT WIDER, you can still comfortably use it with one hand." - Jony Ive

"It is really easy to make a new product that is bigger, everyone does that, that's not the challenge, the challenge is to make it better, AND SMALLER". - Phil Schiller
They are just spinning. They are promoting what they sell. The spin will change once the product does. I remember times when Apple was convinced that tablets smaller than 9" were useless...
lilo777 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:24 AM   #15
The Wedge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFather View Post

yea well next they'll be saying, "through observations we have realized that many people use their phones with two hands and we have decided to make a phone more comfortable for them. We have also improved iOS to accomodate one handed use with a bigger screen."

The current screen size is stupid. a taller screen. That's why I still have a 4s and will keep it until a proper larger screen and OS is implemented.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 AM   #16
oiuh151
macrumors 6502

I'm not against Apple launching a larger iPhone so long as a smaller model with updated internals and external of the larger iPhone will still be available.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:24 PM   #17
ghost187
macrumors regular

Honest/Realistic opinion of mine is that the screen size will stay the same. Here is why. First off, they just introduced a new screen size and most developers are not yet on board with it (heck there are non-retina apps in the app store to this day). 2nd, they would need to increase the pixel count to keep that all important "retina" display and the only way to do it is if they double the pixels. 3rd, they will give up their edge as the only company that makes high end phones with one hand usability. Plus, if they do keep the same screen size, they can actually reduce the size of the phone (new/upcoming screen tech will allow smaller side bezels) without decreasing the screen size and improve the one hand usability. The iPhone 5 is 58.6mm wide and that could be reduced/improved to be under 55mm which would go a long way in one handed usability. Also, since iPad 5 is pretty much confirmed to be smaller in "ALL 3" dimensions, iPhone 6 will probably follow the same trend. Lets be honest, it is a bit more difficult to get to that sleep/wake button COMFORTABLY, and it is even more difficult to reach the notification bar with your thumb (I'm 5'11 with average or slightly bigger hands). BTW, for anyone worried about battery life, a quick google search about A53 ARM architecture and 20nm processors will show you that in 2014 all of our battery woes will be over.
ghost187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Yojimbo007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost187 View Post
Honest/Realistic opinion of mine is that the screen size will stay the same. Here is why. First off, they just introduced a new screen size and most developers are not yet on board with it (heck there are non-retina apps in the app store to this day). 2nd, they would need to increase the pixel count to keep that all important "retina" display and the only way to do it is if they double the pixels. 3rd, they will give up their edge as the only company that makes high end phones with one hand usability. Plus, if they do keep the same screen size, they can actually reduce the size of the phone (new/upcoming screen tech will allow smaller side bezels) without decreasing the screen size and improve the one hand usability. The iPhone 5 is 58.6mm wide and that could be reduced/improved to be under 55mm which would go a long way in one handed usability. Also, since iPad 5 is pretty much confirmed to be smaller in "ALL 3" dimensions, iPhone 6 will probably follow the same trend. Lets be honest, it is a bit more difficult to get to that sleep/wake button COMFORTABLY, and it is even more difficult to reach the notification bar with your thumb (I'm 5'11 with average or slightly bigger hands). BTW, for anyone worried about battery life, a quick google search about A53 ARM architecture and 20nm processors will show you that in 2014 all of our battery woes will be over.
It is not about substituting i5 ..it is about expanding the line to 3 sizes... 3.5,4, 4.x...
They need to compete in larger size market.. The reality is there is huge demand there.. Not for everybody... But enough people like it... Including me!
Yojimbo007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:37 AM   #19
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I'm long tired of the argument that Apple has everything just perfect and doesn't need to add 'flashy' new features. This is not an excuse for allowing the likes of Samsung to school you on innovation.

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:47 AM   #20
OafTobark
macrumors 6502

Quote:

And that's just where they want us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpop View Post
In the past, yes. Not now. A minor upgrade after a year and a new iPhone (maybe) after 2 year? Right now it's like a suicide.

They have already accelerated launching the 4th generation iPad after six months.
He does have a valid point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredMAC View Post
Promptly filed in the "No S#ít, Sherlock" category in the filing cabinet...
You may have to purge that one here pretty soon.

Last edited by OafTobark; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM.
OafTobark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:21 PM   #21
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
You're a geek, of course you are getting antsy. Geeks want everything to be new and fresh and totally magically awesome with every release.

Apple doesn't design for geeks, especially with their devices. The iphone etc are for the non geeks and they generally doesn't want to relearn all the time. They love that the UI doesn't really change, because change scares them. They don't care about these 'baby step' hardware changes because they aren't doing anything insane with their tech anyway. So to them nothing is long-in-tooth or outdated so long as it works

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by web500sjc View Post
interesting that he has the iphone being moved back to the June product slot...

my question is, What product will be launched in the spring? -that used to be the ipads domain- but now that is up in the air.
Where's the law that says there has to be something? Some of the analysts seem to think such a thing exists and are trying to 'sources say' a guess at what but they would be wrong.

Apple may not be releasing anything this spring.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmovies View Post
Wait, since a new version of iOS usually launches along side a new iPhone, maybe we'll see a sneak peak and a developer release during the rumored TV media even in March. Right?
Not if Apple sticks to recent history which is to show both the iOS preview and Mac OS preview at WWDC (an event created for developers) which is typically in June.

if Apple was going to shift WWDC to March we likely would have heard officially by now so developers could make plans to attend.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahroo View Post
Is that actually Apples roadmap? Or is that just a guest by this guy Jeff
If it is said by an Apple employee then it is the roadmap. Not a "sources within" said but a real press release or on a stage with names said.

Anything else by anyone, especially an analyst, is a guess.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iisdan View Post
How many times does apple need to say they're not making it before people will finally get the hint?
They will never get the hint. They just cite all the times that Steve Jobs said no to something and then it happened. Like the video ipod etc.

Judgement Day will come and the machines will take over the world and the analysts etc will still be saying that Apple is working on a real TV, bigger screen iPhones etc.
charlituna is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:45 PM   #22
tomjleeds
macrumors 6502

Quote:

This is how technology works. You've been fooled by the release of iPhone and iPad in quick succession.

We may not see another such ground-breaking release for ten years or more.
tomjleeds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #23
the read
macrumors regular

Quote:

I agree. Android has advanced their OS dramatically in the past 12 months leaving iOS in the dust fumbling with Apple maps and other restrictions. Then with the hardware that Samsung currently have on the market and press realases from Samsung RnD departments on future handsets.

Apple need to do something better than adding more inches to the screen.
the read is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:39 AM   #24
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
I wonder if analysts ever get cramps in their arms from throwing all this #$&*@ against the wall to see what sticks.
That or they tire out from shaking their magic 8 balls.
madsci954 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 AM   #25
wizard
macrumors 68040

Apparently they aren't embarrassed to display ignorance either.

The part about revamping iOS to support more cores is perfectly silly and displays the writers considerable ignorance. If Apples guidelines re followed most apps would benefit from ore cores immediately, this includes Apps Apple writes. The real trick is to use all those cores without draining the battery excessively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post
Hey if it leads to a fat paycheck with little real effort or intelligence why not throw #$&*@ the wall. Live fat and drive a nice car. All you need is to be free from susceptibility to embarrassment.
wizard is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion