Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:13 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Says iOS 6.1 Exchange Bug Fix is on the Way

Just a day after Microsoft offered workarounds for an iOS 6.1 Exchange syncing bug and said that it was working with Apple on a solution, Apple has announced on its support page*(via ZDNet)*that it has identified the problem and is working on a fix.
Quote:
Apple has identified a fix and will make it available in an upcoming software update. In the meantime, you can avoid this bug by not responding to an exception to a recurring event on your iOS device. If you do experience the symptoms described above, disable then reenable the Exchange calendar on your iOS device using the steps below.
Apple details its own workaround until that update is available, advising users to go to "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" under "Settings," selecting the Exchange account from the accounts list, turning the switch for "Calendars" off, waiting 10 seconds and then turning it back on.

The bug, which caused iOS 6.1 devices to continuously loop when syncing a recurring calendar meeting invitation to Microsoft Exchange, isn't the first bug to stem from the two-week old iOS 6.1. iPhone 4S users were affected by a bug that hampered 3G performance, although that was fixed with Apple's release of iOS 6.1.1 a couple of days ago. There is no timeframe for when the fix for the Exchange bug will be released.

Article Link: Apple Says iOS 6.1 Exchange Bug Fix is on the Way
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:21 AM   #2
shareef777
macrumors 6502

Lets hope the jailbreak still works.
shareef777 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:25 AM   #3
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shareef777 View Post
Lets hope the jailbreak still works.
Why would it randomly stop working? The only way it will stop working is if you blindly update.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:33 AM   #4
Fatalbert
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by \-V-/ View Post
Why would it randomly stop working? The only way it will stop working is if you blindly update.
Of course, he means with the update.
Fatalbert is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:39 AM   #5
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatalbert View Post
Of course, he means with the update.
Yes, I know... but everyone keeps asking that every time there's an update announcement. It's becoming akin to "Safari feels snappier!" =\
\-V-/ is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:35 AM   #6
ozaz
macrumors 6502a

How about a fix for the Mountain Lion Calender Exchange bug that's been going on for ages?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1433698
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
ozaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:15 AM   #7
dontpannic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Yes, I know... but everyone keeps asking that every time there's an update announcement. It's becoming akin to "Safari feels snappier!" =\
Is it not a valid concern?

It's absolutely nothing like 'Safari feels snappier'.

If someone has a jailbroken device and has the exchange bug they need to update to fix the bug - but if that means they lose the jailbreak, where do they stand?
dontpannic is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:19 AM   #8
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Maybe he is effected by this bug and wants a jailbreak?

Last edited by stridemat; Feb 14, 2013 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Removed insult
TMar is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:54 AM   #9
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Just ignore those comments... it is better for your health!

And I should ignore the comments about these comments...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:48 AM   #10
Dominicanyor
macrumors 6502a

What type of issues are folks having? I have not notice anything on my 4s.
Dominicanyor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

We have 7,000+ users on our Exchange 2010 server (fully up to date). Plenty of iOS 6.1/6.1.1 devices.

Not a single eyebrow has been raised in regards to iOS 6.1/6.1.1 acting any "different". No issues to report, apparently. No increase in traffic, no change in expected functionality, etc.

That being said, the admins have said that iOS has never really worked right, and that your should treat your calendar as read only when using iOS.

Example situation (verified yesterday):

1) User A creates a recurring event with Outlook, User B and User C are invited. They receive the event confirmation and accept. User A receives acknowledgement of the acceptance from both users.

2) User A later remembers an important detail and updates the recurring event with their iOS device.

3) User B and User C receive an invitation to a "new" recurring event. Similar to the original, but with the new details. This is saved to their calendar as a second event, right next to the first. They accept the event confirmation again.

4) User A receives the acceptance confirmations for the event, but still sees it as just event #1. User B and User C see event #1 and event #2.

Expected behavior:
iOS devices should update just event #1 (the original), and never create event #2.
Xenomorph is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:00 AM   #12
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Calendars and Exchange in iOS has always been buggy. Updates don't work right. Accepting events often don't seem to register with the exchange server. As someone else stated, iOS calendars should be used as a read only service.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:39 PM   #13
calaverasgrande
macrumors 65816

So, has there been a recent IOS update that didn't break Exchange connectivity?
I understand that in Cupertino they probably all use Apple and unix servers. But the rest of corporate America we use Microsoft exchange and Active Directory on Windows servers. If apple expects to continue to penetrate the corporate market they need to get their act together.
calaverasgrande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:40 PM   #14
NedBookPro
macrumors 6502

APPLE: While you're at it, can you return the swoosh sound to *AFTER* negotiation has completed with the smtp server where it should be, and where it used to be with iOS5.

It's annoying and illogical to hear that sound, only to find the send failed later.

The swoosh sound before smtp negotiation gives you the false sense the message sent successfully.

Anyone else want this restored to where it should be?

Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:51 PM   #15
Vespa Alex
macrumors newbie

We've been having active sync issues since iOS 5 - getting about forty times the volumes of transaction logs we should do on Exchange 2010.

I've had a call logged with Microsoft and we've proved it's the iPhones causing it but they basically washed their hands of it after several months of back and forth.

I'm in the process of upgrading everyone to 6.1.1 to see if that clears it. If not we may be going for Windows phones next time round
Vespa Alex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:42 PM   #16
MacFly123
macrumors 68020

This is not the only repeat major security bug in iOS 6.1! I found one last night. You can use universal search to find iMessages that have been deleted!

I was shocked when I found it. I have reported the issue to all the tech sites. I hope one of them will publish it so Apple fixes the issue!!!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion