Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dafnaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Hi,
I just bought my first macbook, and I have a problem with the Time Machine.
I connected an external hard drive which had some stuff I didn't want to delete, so I partitioned the hard drive to two, one with all the data on it, and the rest (480 gb) I want to use as my backup space with Time Machine.

Time Machine then connected to the right partition, and everything seemed to be working. I then chose to exclude some of my folders from backing up, but Time machine doesn't exclude them for some reason.

I tried looking it up online, and I shut down the Time Machine as suggested (including deleting com.adobe.timemachine... from the library and rebooting), but it did not work.
I also tried verifying the hard drive. The part with the free space (with the 480 GB that I'm trying to backup to) - was verified as ok. The other part (with the old data) didn't give me the 'the disc seems to be ok' message, but I don't really know what to do with that, plus it's not the partition I'm trying to connect the TimeMachine to, so I don't think that should be the problem.

Please help me understand - Why doesn't Time Machine exclude the items I'm asking it to?

Thank you.

dafnaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
how do you know it's not excluding the items?

It's saying it's backing up 58GB, and the items I excluded were 50GB total, the rest is the 8GB I actually want to back up (58GB is pretty much everything I have on this computer right now).

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
It's saying it's backing up 58GB, and the items I excluded were 50GB total, the rest is the 8GB I actually want to back up (58GB pretty much everything I have on this computer right now).

if you only have 58GB, you should probably just back up everything. It'll be a very long time before you even come close to filling up your backup drive. Perhaps years.

dafnaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
if you only have 58GB, you should probably just back up everything. It'll be a very long time before you even come close to filling up your backup drive. Perhaps years.

it's only 58 GB right now because it's a brand new computer.
I normally work with very big files (I'm a graphic designer).
and I don't want Time Machine to continuously backup everything I download from the internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.