Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Samsung to Beat Apple to Market with 'iWatch' Competitor?

Screenshots alleged to be of a forthcoming Samsung smartwatch have been posted on the Korean message board Ruliweb (via SlashGear), suggesting possible competition for the rumored Apple "iWatch".

It is unclear whether the watch will be a self-contained product, or rely on a Bluetooth connection to a smartphone.

The claimed code name of the project, Altius, is causing some confusion, as SamMobile had previously reported this to be the code name for the Galaxy S IV expected to be launched on April 15, though other code names have been associated with that handset. The watch screenshots indicate that the device is running software called AltiusOS beta2, and an app navigation screen bears a resemblance to the tiles seen on Windows Phone.

SlashGear notes that the screenshots are 500x500 pixels, and suggests that this may be the resolution of the screen.

Apple and Samsung are of course not the only major electronics companies apparently seeking to break into the watch market, with Sony offering another example in the form of its Android-compatible SmartWatch. But given the tense relationship between Apple and Samsung, it is notable that the two companies appear to be preparing to face off yet again in a new market.

Article Link: Samsung to Beat Apple to Market with 'iWatch' Competitor?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
madsci954
macrumors 68000

New market? Release the Lawyers!!!!

Last edited by madsci954; Feb 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
madsci954 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 AM   #3
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Not on my watch.
JaySoul is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:35 AM   #4
dBeats
macrumors 6502

That looks a helluva lot like a B&W windows 8 metro theme. Samsung decided to copy someone else rather than poke the Apple?
dBeats is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
nick_elt
macrumors 68000

Competition is always good for consumer even if most (maybe just the most vocal shall I say) of you wish there was only apple in the world.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
Macrolido
macrumors regular

It was matter of time...
Macrolido is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_elt View Post
Competition is always good for consumer even if most (maybe just the most vocal shall I say) of you wish there was only apple in the world.
I agree, and I very much hope to see Samsung do more competing with innovation and less with copying. Copying is no good for the consumer--it's anti-choice. I want more CHOICE in the market, and less of "Apple + Apple clones." What can Samsung do all on their own? I'd like to see consumers be able to buy that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAnger View Post
What is it with these watches all of a sudden? With people who actually wear watches being pretty slim these days, is there really a market here?
The idea I'm sure is that it's not really a watch. Just called that because it's on your wrist. It's another kind of device entirely, with time-telling being one of it's less important abilities.

An analogy a few years ago would be: "Almost nobody uses tablets. Why would Apple make one?"

As for why it's suddenly a "big deal" to report on... several reasons:

a) Apple is rumored to do it. (And they already started, a little, with the former Nano.)

b) ... um... no, that's about it. The media inflates vague Apple possibilities into big deals.
nagromme is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:10 AM   #8
hestroy
macrumors member

Competition?

Quote:
Well, competition is ok, but not in case when one competitor only copycat another.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm001 View Post
Don't forget
Blu-ray disc
the walkman and hence portable music
CD players
Flash memory
Pocket calculators
Quartz wristwatch
Bullet trains
Digial audio tape recorder

Wow to get a comment like that in our day and age. Seattlemoose is one bitter person.
Ok. Everything you named is INVENTED by west.
hestroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:21 PM   #9
inkswamp
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Pretty sure most people, even the most hardcore Apple apologists here, agree with that. However, many of us appreciate the benefits of true competition such that we're unwilling to lower the bar to include blatant copying as a form of competition. I've got no beef with Samsung, but I'd love to see them compete instead of mimic. Copying initiates a race-to-the-bottom mentality which hurts the market and floods stores with inferior products. Look at all the first-time smartphone buyers buying lousy Android devices because they're cheap. Is that a benefit of that kind of competition?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Sadly Apple, the brand I highly respected for years, is beginning to fall behind. Not just talking about iWatch, but in many areas they once excelled in. Adrift in a sea of uncertainty it's frustrating to watch them become fragmented.

During Tim Cooks most recent speech he goes out of his way to bash OLED, yet behind the scenes Apple just hired the worlds top OLED engineer. Talk about confused & befuddled. It makes me wonder what the truth is about the Cupertino company I could rely on for years.
Wow, you've got me convinced that you're a long-time Apple user, especially when you have to keep saying it over and over again, the way nobody does ever.

Anyway, decrying the current state of some tech while hiring someone to work on it would seem to suggest that Apple is interested in exploring where it can go or what they can do with it in the future. Why is that so hard to figure out?
inkswamp is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:32 AM   #10
Lex Yu
macrumors member

Quote:
Competition ≠ Plagiarism

Plagiarism is always bad for humanity even if some people in far east must have found an easy way for living in the world.

Bonus: Here are just a few of examples.

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/up...Apple-iPad.jpg

http://cdn.mactrast.com/wp-content/u...Cable-Copy.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_as...9applesam7.jpg

http://obamapacman.com/wp-content/up...iPod-touch.jpg

Last edited by Lex Yu; Feb 18, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
Lex Yu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Glideslope
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBeats View Post
That looks a helluva lot like a B&W windows 8 metro theme. Samsung decided to copy someone else rather than poke the Apple?
Time to wake up Redmond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
uknowimright
macrumors 6502a

so much ignorance in this thread
uknowimright is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:40 AM   #13
Krazy Bill
Banned

I doth hereby patent the iRing. Put it on yer finger to:

1.) Unlock all your devices within proximity to your hand
2.) Vibration codes for push notifications
3.) Heat up to 1000 degrees when wife walks into room
4.) Etc...
Krazy Bill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:56 PM   #14
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Let's not forget the "development" of Google Play on Android. From an iOS App Store clone to a WinMo clone in one generation!
GoldenJoe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:40 PM   #15
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's what I was thinking!
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:41 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

http://www.macstories.net/stories/always-beaten/
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:25 PM   #17
Joe-Diver
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Once Apple releases their product, Samsung will copy it. Right now they don't really have anything to copy. And....they had to put something out there.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:45 PM   #18
zbarsky
macrumors newbie

Didn't voice control appear in their dumb tvs after a rumour that a possible Apple television product would have Siri voice control?
zbarsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:48 AM   #19
jm001
macrumors 6502

Don't forget
Blu-ray disc
the walkman and hence portable music
CD players
Flash memory
Pocket calculators
Quartz wristwatch
Bullet trains
Digial audio tape recorder

Wow to get a comment like that in our day and age. Seattlemoose is one bitter person.
jm001 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:20 AM   #20
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
... Maybe it's running Windows 8, it does run on ARM processors afterall.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:14 PM   #21
naeS1Sean
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Not on my watch.
Hahahaha
naeS1Sean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:36 AM   #22
ForzaJuve
macrumors member

Yea right

How is this even possible. They would have to see the released iWatch in order to copy it an release an identical version with the Samsung logo and Android OS. This article implies that Samsung actually has its own R&D department. It is not April 1st today.
ForzaJuve is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:02 PM   #23
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaJuve View Post
How is this even possible. They would have to see the released iWatch in order to copy it an release an identical version with the Samsung logo and Android OS. This article implies that Samsung actually has its own R&D department. It is not April 1st today.
With all of the leaks now all they have to do is watch the rumor sites to find out months in advance some times with pictures then see what they have applied for patents and then try to beat them to market. It's happened at least 5 times in the last couple of years.
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:40 PM   #24
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Never fear. They will announce it now to release later in the year and while the first shots will look more like a Metro watch, when it releases it will be'inspired by' the iWatch
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:29 PM   #25
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Quote:

So on Point

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion