Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I know 99% of us including myself are apple fans, but i know some of the people on here can't see any fault in Apple or some even make a fault out to be a good thing but no company or product is perfect so what I'm interested in finding out is what all do you dislike about apple products?

Not just one, any.

Also, can you name one apple product you just refuse to use and WHY?

Also if you're an apple hater, please don't even reply, this is for fans only.

McCaffers

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2012
The price tag :D...

But seriously, I would prefer it if Apple would provide an official live stream of their conferences.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
If I ever get to the point where I hate something about apple, I'll just take a second and remember the massive frustrations when I used to own a windows PC. Oh god...I'm using one right now (work PC)....fingers burning! help me! lol

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
You're more of a computer fan of them?

Why don't you like iOS?

I had an iPad for a year. I ended up selling it because you can't do nearly as much on it as you can on a full blown operating system like OSX and Windows 7. My opinion it get too much credit for being a serious operating system, which it's not. I hate the term "post PC". That's not going to happen in the near future..

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
If I ever get to the point where I hate something about apple, I'll just take a second and remember the massive frustrations when I used to own a windows PC. Oh god...I'm using one right now (work PC)....fingers burning! help me! lol

Yeah the price tags are insane.

MY list of hates are
-iOS is so limited in capability which is in stark contract to osx which is so feature rich. Why not continue the theme on th mobile front?

-too much focus on form over function. I remember they removed ports ti make an imac thinner years ago. It's a desktop, it doesn't need to be thinner

-charging more, but not including all features that a device in that price range should have. (imac no upgradeable memory, iphone no nfc, airport extreme no QOS etc).

The one apple device I wouldn't use is the iphone because it's fallen so far behind in mobile phone technology.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
Yeah the price tags are insane.

MY list of hates are
-iOS is so limited in capability which is in stark contract to osx which is so feature rich. Why not continue the theme on th mobile front?

-too much focus on form over function. I remember they removed ports ti make an imac thinner years ago. It's a desktop, it doesn't need to be thinner

-charging more, but not including all features that a device in that price range should have. (imac no upgradeable memory, iphone no nfc, airport extreme no QOS etc).

The one apple device I wouldn't use is the iphone because it's fallen so far behind in mobile phone technology.

For the small price bump I'll happily buy a mac

And I won't have to spend the time and money to:
A. Time spent removing the pre-loaded crapware
B. Purchasing Virus Protection
C. Replacing parts
D. Running malware/spyware/virus scans

Just speaking from personal history here :)

And I believe the only imac you can't upgrade the RAM on is the smaller version?
NFC it's the 4G of 2013 - It's only good if you can actually use it :)

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
For the small price bump I'll happily buy a mac

And I won't have to spend the time and money to:
A. Time spent removing the pre-loaded crapware
B. Purchasing Virus Protection
C. Replacing parts
D. Running malware/spyware/virus scans

Just speaking from personal history here :)

And I believe the only imac you can't upgrade the RAM on is the smaller version?
NFC it's the 4G of 2013 - It's only good if you can actually use it :)

Great points. I used to be a fiddler. Spent hours and days fiddling. New motherboards, upgraded ram, new graphics cards, searching for upgraded drivers, figuring out the best backup strategies (and implementing them), new hard drives, new power supplies, new cases, new Windows variants, new Office variants (and costs), viruses, Trojans. Virus scans. Constant updates. Defragging. BSOD. Ultimately, I felt I was spending more time fiddling than working. And keep in mind, this went on for years, from a family PC perspective.

I woke up one day and decided that I didn't want to fiddle anymore and got the family on Macs and iPhones, plus now matches the work environment. Best sanity move I ever made. My support time has dropped to near zero. Apple does certainly have its issues, the OSs have their flaws and wish lists, and there are days when I want to throw an iPhone or MacBook Pro against the wall (pet peeves are calendar, mail, and other niggles) but wouldn't trade it for any other Ecosystem at this time. I write software for both Android and iOS and use them both all the time so don't have that grass is greener view point that others seem to have. They're excellent in their own ways, PIA in their own ways. And like you, NFC isn't very useful in my world. Bigger screen isn't very interesting, really. Not really looking for the OS to entertain me like others seem to think the competition does.

I want tools that work and which I don't have to think about too much and that integrate reasonably well. I used to be different, not so much now. And I happen to like Apple's design philosophy, but that's all a matter of personal taste of course.

To answer the OP's original question after a long-winded intro...would love to see some more openness on the roadmap front from a user software perspective (Aperture, etc).

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I think the pricing of some of their items is a bit ridiculous, but it hasn't stopped me from stuffing money into their pockets. :p

Also think iOS has fallen quite far behind Android and would love to see a major overhaul of the OS.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
I know 99% of us including myself are apple fans, but i know some of the people on here can't see any fault in Apple or some even make a fault out to be a good thing but no company or product is perfect so what I'm interested in finding out is what all do you dislike about apple products?

I have a list. (And, as you say, if I were a Windows fan I wouldn't care.)

- Most of Apple's recent effort has gone into iOS devices. For the foreseeable future, I need a keyboard.

- Apple's neglect of Macs. Macs are still a huge market, but, for the moment, that market looks small compared to cell phones and tablets. But, the cell phone market is fickle. Companies like Nokia, Motorola, and RIM were once dominant and are now almost forgotten. When the iPhone bubble bursts, the Mac will still be there.

- Glossy screens. This has been an obsession of Apple in recent years. It makes laptops and desktop displays look like sculptures, but, I don't want to look at the display, I want to look at what is displayed.

- Professional products are neglected or killed. Not only is this annoying, but, when the iPhone bubble bursts, these products could help keep the company going strong.

- Dumb games with connectors, cables, and adapters. The dumbest yet is the Lightning. Looking back, Apple did something almost right with FireWire. Almost, because it was a tremendous technical success, but, never caught on in the mass market. DisplayPort has had similar difficulties.

- Thoughtless moves with the Mac App Store that really hurt Enterprise use of Macs.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I prefer apple stuff to other stuff on the market, but they're not perfect.

I've run into deal-breaking iOS issues with my testing to see if i can ditch my work laptop entirely and run everything either via iPad using either the iOS apps or remote VDI (VMware View desktop) in a Windows session for business stuff the iPad can't run itself that I need to use.

• Give me bluetooth mouse support in iOS, for stuff like VDI. Sure, i don't care if iOS itself doesn't support it, but please expose an API so that iOS applications can make use of it if appropriate!
  • Bluetooth keyboard support in iOS is GARBAGE. inconsistently supported between apps, sometimes keystrokes don't go through properly, etc. Even though i have an apple BT keyboard, i'm forced to use the on-screen keyboard for various apps. Which is just retarded when plugged into a 22" monitor and at a desk - and annoying when also trying to use the thing as a trackpad because there's no mouse support.
  • Output via a VGA adapter to a decent monitor is pretty hideously ugly - as iOS can't switch to the monitor's native res - everything is stretched and chunky (iPad mini to 22" LCD).

For this reason, I'm looking to evaluate Win 8 tablets for the same job. There's a massive weakness for Apple there at the moment and they need to pull their finger out. I'm SO CLOSE to being able to ditch my work laptop entirely, and the brain damaged stuff above with the iPad is why I can't. If they fix the above things then I'd have no reason to be evaluating Windows 8 tablets that suck design and hardware wise, simply to get input peripherals that work.

The iPad is fine while on the go, but when i get back to my desk at work, my dream is to put the tablet on my desk and carry on working with a bigger screen and real input devices.

But as far as the locked down nature of the devices goes - I actually think this is a good thing. In my 20 years in the tech industry and observing the past 30 year history - it has shown that letting us run any random unsigned code from anywhere is a security nightmare.

Whether it is iOS or something else, we will eventually end up with code-signing in some form.

As soon as you go down the path of needing virus scanners to verify code is "safe" rather than refusing to run if the source is not explcitly trusted, you're rolling the dice. The virus scanner is and will always be behind the bad guys.

Last edited:

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
No blu-ray support. Some people still want to burn physical media after they edit their videos.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
I'm interested in finding out is what all do you dislike about apple products? Not just one, any.

From a business perspective, the Apple ecosystem is genius but from a consumer standpoint, it seems overly restrictive at times. For example, I can't access itunes movies on my Samsung Blue Ray player.

Also, can you name one apple product you just refuse to use and WHY?

There aren't any that I refuse to use but rather those that I have no practical use for such as the iPad (I actually have one). I don't refuse to use the new iMac but I'm a little wary of the fusion drive since the technology is fairly new.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Things I don't like about Apple:

1. The less is more approach. Over-simplification, lack of features. This approach has produced some beautiful hardware. But sometimes that just doesn't work for me, especially in terms of software. iTunes is lacking in many ways, and iWork is a joke.

2. Restrictions. Closed environment. I can't do what I want, I can only do what Apple allows me to do.

3. The hype. Apple gadgets are for cool guys, who don't understand, don't care and don't have too much time for computers. It just doesn't seem serious for me. I hate the hype.

4. The high prices. Sometimes the high prices are justifiable, and that is OK. But sometimes Apple just seems to think every consumer will swallow anything it puts in the market, for any price it wishes to charge.

5. Neglecting real computers. iPhones and iPads are nice, neat gadgets. But you just can't compare these iOS toys with Macs, which are real computers. Despite that, Apple keeps putting too much effort on iOS and too little on Macs.

I guess that's it.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
No blu-ray support. Some people still want to burn physical media after they edit their videos.

And watch movies. A friend of mine has very very slow internet due to where he lives. Streaming HD movies isn't an option and Apple refuse to allow blu ray.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Not allowing blu ray is just a bad decision. Apple groupies will bash blu ray because apple says its bad. It isn't bad at all. Nothing in the iTunes Store compares to blu ray quality and owning the disc is always better than a download you can only watch on certain products

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
My points are mostly the same as what several other posters have said:

- Mostly dropping pro support and focusing almost solely on the consumer market. Yes, it's more profitable. Yes, it brings more people in. Why drop the other lines instead of having both? The MacPro has barely been touched in years, and still doesn't even have Thunderbolt. Final Cut Pro was nearly demolished, although I haven't paid enough attention to see if they have worked it back up. All the other pro apps are pretty much gone.

- Trying to move MacOS to be more like iOS. I have a desktop and a laptop for a reason. They aren't meant to be iOS devices. I don't want them to be iOS devices. I want a full-tilt desktop OS on them. Getting rid of scrollbars, making scrolling go backwards, etc.

- Trying to simplify everything to the point that there is little else you can do.

- Keeping out great features like Blu-Ray, more Bluetooth, etc. We all know the real reason for lack of Blu-Ray is to push iTunes movies.

I have actually started to enjoy some of the extra features of Windows when I do use it. But would I switch...probably not.

One thing I do like is that when you buy a brand new computer, it's nearly empty of any sort of buy-me-ware, and is ready for use right away. Whereas with Windows, half the desktop seems to be filled with junk.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I like Apple & always have.

It's just the way they seem a bit uncertain about their true mission that I find disconcerting.

When a company begins saying one thing & doing another, it reviews their inner conflicts & power struggles. At odds with the board only adds to the issues which once resolved leads to ultimate success & uniformity.

The question is how long will it take to get all parties on the same page if ever?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.