Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2010
First, is there a Hackintosh thread? If there is I can't find it so forgive me for posting here.

So I've decided to build a hackintosh. There are several reasons why, mainly that I can build a better computer for 1500$ than I can buy from apple, and because it gives me more control and repairability.

So here are the parts I've chosen (all from newegg.ca):

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 (3.4Ghz, quad core, hyper threading, Ivy Bridge)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H (4 DDR3 slots, PCI-E 3.0, PCI-E 2.0)

RAM: 2X8GB Corsair DDR3

SSD: Kingston SSDNOW V+200 (120GB)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda (500 GB)

PSU: Xion XON-1000P14F (1000 Watts)

Case: CoolerMaster SGC-1000-KWN1

Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (3GB, PCI-E 3.0) (Apple is adding drivers for this card in 10.8.3)

If anyone with experience with building a Hackintosh has any helpful pointers that would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Have you tried the following Hackintosh specific fora and websites yet, since there is only one big Hackintosh thread around here and you would get much better help at the sites linked below?

----------

So I've decided to build a hackintosh. There are several reasons why, mainly that I can build a better computer for 1500$ than I can buy from apple, and because it gives me more control and repairability.

Just because you can build a "faster by specs" computer for less than Apple wants from you, it does not mean it is better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.