Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TNThomas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2012
Hey,

I have a few questions about charging an iPhone.

1. Can you charge an iPhone when it's turned off?
2. Is it bad to charge an iPhone when it has still powe left, for example at 40%?

Thomas

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hey,

I have a few questions about charging an iPhone.

1. Can you charge an iPhone when it's turned off?
2. Is it bad to charge an iPhone when it has still powe left, for example at 40%?

Thomas

1. Plugging it into the charger will automatically power it back up. The only time you can charge it while off is if it has literally no battery left.

2. Nope - charge it whenever you want.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
#1. Yes, I believe so, though I've never tried it.
#2. No it's not bad at all. I charge my iPhone every night regardless of what percentage it's at. Li-ion batteries like being charged and if run until dead, too much, it will shorten it's life.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
Just turn off your iPhone after plugging it in. Voila, charging while off. And yes, you can plug it in whenever you feel you need more battery.

It's 2013 not 2003. You can plug your phone to charge when ever you want. ;)

Your avatar gets me every time. You think I'd be used to it by now, but nope. I still have a spaz attack every time I see it from the corner of my eye.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Just turn off your iPhone after plugging it in. Voila, charging while off. And yes, you can plug it in whenever you feel you need more battery.

Your avatar gets me every time. You think I'd be used to it by now, but nope. I still have a spaz attack every time I see it from the corner of my eye.

Add me to the "Spaz Attack List" :D

El buggy strikes again! :D

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
I only charge mine with it's at -30%, that way when it's fully charged, I get 130%.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.