Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
brayhite
macrumors 6502a

Wireless speaker solutions using Airplay

Are there any Airplay "receivers" that plug in, connect to wifi, and have an aux output for speakers?

Also, any recommendations for quality but low-cost speakers would be cool. Good enough quality to handle loud music for parties but small enough to hide behind furniture, mount to the wall/ceiling, etc.

TIA

Last edited by brayhite; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: got to the point
brayhite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
jhsfosho
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayhite View Post
Are there any Airplay "receivers" that plug in, connect to wifi, and have an aux output for speakers?
The airport express is the only one I know of. The first gen airport express can be found used/refurbished on ebay for around $40-$50. Refurb from the apple store is $70. Refurb 2012 express is $85. New is $99.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
stoster38
macrumors member

I think brayhite was referring to AV receivers. There are several AV receivers that have the AirPlay functionality built in. You would need to look up the specs on each one to see what kind of wired connections they offer for speakers.

The receiver is just getting the audio through airplay but obviously you'll still need speakers so I'm pretty sure most if not all Airplay AV receivers should have connections for wired speakers.

I did a Google search and got plenty of results. Unfortunately I don't own an Airplay receiver so I can't speak to which ones you might look at or performance.

Good luck on your search!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsfosho View Post
The airport express is the only one I know of. The first gen airport express can be found used/refurbished on ebay for around $40-$50. Refurb from the apple store is $70. Refurb 2012 express is $85. New is $99.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:41 PM   #4
crhendo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoster38 View Post
I think brayhite was referring to AV receivers. There are several AV receivers that have the AirPlay functionality built in. You would need to look up the specs on each one to see what kind of wired connections they offer for speakers.

The receiver is just getting the audio through airplay but obviously you'll still need speakers so I'm pretty sure most if not all Airplay AV receivers should have connections for wired speakers.

I have three Griffin Twenty's ( http://www.griffintechnology.com/twenty ) that I use for demos. Each one has a pair or ORB's and they all share a Definitive Technology subwoofer. You would be amazed at the sound I get out of these tiny D-Grade amps. I cannot recommend them highly enough. All you need is a pre-loved old Airport Express ($40-$50 on eBay) a $99 Griffin Twenty, hook up your speakers and away you go.
crhendo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5
brayhite
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsfosho View Post
This sounds good. I wasn't sure how cheap the older models were. $50 for an old Airport Express sounds fair, though I can only find them for $60 on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoster38 View Post

I did a Google search and got plenty of results. Unfortunately I don't own an Airplay receiver so I can't speak to which ones you might look at or performance.

Unless the receivers are cheaper than $60 (see comment about Airport Expresses), I'd rather not buy a receiver. Those cost around $400 each and I'm looking to spend less than that on all four. Thanks for the help though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crhendo View Post
I have three Griffin Twenty's ( http://www.griffintechnology.com/twenty ) that I use for demos. Each one has a pair or ORB's and they all share a Definitive Technology subwoofer. You would be amazed at the sound I get out of these tiny D-Grade amps. I cannot recommend them highly enough. All you need is a pre-loved old Airport Express ($40-$50 on eBay) a $99 Griffin Twenty, hook up your speakers and away you go.
This sounds fair enough if I was looking for a very nice, somewhat permanent set-up. However, money considered and flexibility desired, I'd say the Griffin Twenty's just aren't what I need. Thanks though!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:16 AM   #6
jhsfosho
macrumors 6502

If I were you, I would consider buying a computer speaker system, either 2.1 or 5.1 if your budget can handle it.

You can pair an airport express:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Airpor...item2c6c882ff3

with something like these Logitech speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...d=&seller=&sr=

and probably do it all for around $100 if you aren't opposed to buying used.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 05:44 PM   #7
robzr
macrumors member

We're at a pretty cool time with technology, with Airplay we can do things that previously required lots of dedicated wiring, Crestron controllers, multizone amps, now with Airport Expresses we can distribute our audio pretty damn easily!

I've been wiring up our house with some indoor and outdoor speakers and here's some stuff I've found that is pretty cool -

Audiosource Amp-100 $100 @ Amazon, sounds good, has good power for a set of secondary speakers, and has priority input so you can hook up a radio tuner (or anything else) as your first input, but when the Airport Express kicks on, it overrides the other input.

Leviton 48211 digital volume control, $80 on eBay or $170 new - lets you add a volume control in your wall in a standard "decora" style wall switch plate; all you have to run is a cat5 to a control box you can place by the amplifier (say, in a closet)

For speakers you really have to consider what you're trying to do, how much bass you want, how big the room is, how well you want the speakers to blend into your environment aesthetically, what your budget is, you can get as ridiculous as you want.

Rob
robzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2013, 10:55 AM   #8
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktech View Post
I recently bought a portable wireless speaker from the below link and trust me it has really cool features, sound quality and water-resistant too. I would suggest it any day and its value for money too.

http://www.bitmore.co.uk/collections...rtable-speaker
Ugh! No thank you. That might be fine for covenient on-the-go portability, but Bluetooth is no substitute for Airplay. And as small as that speaker is it would not come close to providing reasonable sound for in-home use. I would recommend anyone looking for home audio solutions steer clear of Bluetooth.

Airplay is about HiFi. Bluetooth is about convenience, best left to portable audio (like headsets) where convenience is desired over sound quality.
marzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater