Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moonman239

Cancelled
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Apple gets its maps from TomTom, who has been making GPSs for years. If there's a mistake in Apple Maps, it's not because the app is new, it's just because TomTom made a mistake that has yet to be corrected. Therefore, I invite you to use the "Report a Problem" button that is conveniently located above the toggle that lets you switch between standard maps, satellite maps, and hybrid maps. You can even report a problem with a POI by tapping on the pin where Apple Maps thinks the place is and tapping "Report a Problem."

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
"Please help out maps after it makes you miss an important appointment" ... or something along those lines.

Anyway, I reported one thing months ago and it's still not fixed. The McDonalds near me is still razed, gone, kaput, but not according to Apple maps. Definitely not reporting anything else until I see the feature work.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Either they don't fix the errors or the rate they fix the errors is absurdly slow to the extent that people just stop reporting problems because they don't see any point in it.

Apple Maps in my country is still 100% identical to that of the beta days even though they are plenty of iOS users in my country. And it's only a tiny island compared to the rest of the world.

Even if the world is a very big place, I should've seen SOME improvements by now. The problem -a very big one- now is that I haven't seen ANY.

Good for the US users, I heard Apple Maps is spectacular there.

heyyoudvd

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
I've reported dozens upon dozens of problems since I first got Apple Maps 5 months ago and not a single one of them has been fixed. There are two possibilities:

1. Apple is saving all the fixes that have been sent and it plans to release them all together in one big update when iOS 7 comes our.

2. Apple is continually fixing them as we speak, but this process is occurring so slowly, that no one notices it.

If #2 is accurate, then the app is completely hopeless. If Apple has actually been updating things and hasn't been stockpiling them, then it is going at such a slow pace that Maps will NEVER be a decent app.

If #1 is accurate, then there's still hope. This still isn't a good idea because it causes people to become disillusioned with the app because people simply won't use the 'Report A Problem' feature if they don't see it doing anything. Apple likes to release things periodically (ie. annually) rather than continually. That's how it functions with its hardware and software releases. The problem is that for a service like Maps, these upgrades should happen continually throughout the year, not on a periodic basis.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
They haven't fixed the ones I've reported. :(

I've reported 15 errors and only 1 has been corrected. But the OP is right...Keep reporting them and Apple will eventually do something about it if they actually care about the Maps App and they do...My Apple rep asked me to report all the faults I find...It's tedious, but worth doing.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Around my home town in Scotland I have reported many, many errors. Apple and its partners did rescue a local village from being positioned in the middle of an uninhabited forest, but the locations of businesses are often incorrect and some businesses are shown that have been shut down for years.

The point is that Apple is relying on partners like Tom Tom etc. in various countries. Frankly, some of those partners' databases suck big time. However, people like me who buy iPhones outside of the US do not pay less for our phones, so why does Apple always prioritize the US? They've got so much money you'd think they'd invest in personnel in Europe and Asia to sort out local services. But they haven't, and it's bloody annoying. :mad: Bad :apple:.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've reported 15 errors and only 1 has been corrected. But the OP is right...Keep reporting them and Apple will eventually do something about it if they actually care about the Maps App and they do...My Apple rep asked me to report all the faults I find...It's tedious, but worth doing.

To be honest I've lost interest now.

One of the local towns is 7 miles from where it should be and I've reported it over and over again. I know it was reported by at least one MR member in the beta phase and it was spotlighted on the BBC news website and by the local and national press back when iOS 6 was launched in September.

8 months on from the first beta and it still hasn't been fixed. This isn't a missing McDonalds or a pub that's on the wrong street it's a whole bloody town! The maps around where I live are littered with errors (both major and minor) and I reported as many as I could back in September / October. Out of the dozens I've reported the only fixes I have seen so far is Apple adding labels to Wolverhampton, Walsall and West Bromwich.

If I can spot so many obvious mistakes on my local maps how am I supposed to trust it when I'm visiting a place where I don't know the area like the back of my hand?

That's why I've give up with Apple Maps. :mad:

You can tell your Apple rep I'm not impressed. :D

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
To be honest I've lost interest now.

One of the local towns is 7 miles from where it should be and I've reported it over and over again. I know it was reported by at least one MR member in the beta phase and it was spotlighted on the BBC news website and by the local and national press back when iOS 6 was launched in September.

8 months on from the first beta and it still hasn't been fixed. This isn't a missing McDonalds or a pub that's on the wrong street it's a whole bloody town! The maps around where I live are littered with errors (both major and minor) and I reported as many as I could back in September / October. Out of the dozens I've reported the only fixes I have seen so far is Apple adding labels to Wolverhampton, Walsall and West Bromwich.

If I can spot so many obvious mistakes on my local maps how am I supposed to trust it when I'm visiting a place where I don't know the area like the back of my hand?

That's why I've give up with Apple Maps. :mad:

You can tell your Apple rep I'm not impressed. :D

I will, she always passes stuff on, but she is after all only a sales manager...Albeit a high end one...I'm going to keep plugging away, but I don't go looking for errors anymore. Maps has created a non-existent park in the city centre....How I do not know, but it's not there in real life that's for sure..:D

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I've reported dozens upon dozens of problems since I first got Apple Maps 5 months ago and not a single one of them has been fixed. There are two possibilities:

1. Apple is saving all the fixes that have been sent and it plans to release them all together in one big update when iOS 7 comes our.

2. Apple is continually fixing them as we speak, but this process is occurring so slowly, that no one notices it.

If #2 is accurate, then the app is completely hopeless. If Apple has actually been updating things and hasn't been stockpiling them, then it is going at such a slow pace that Maps will NEVER be a decent app.

If #1 is accurate, then there's still hope. This still isn't a good idea because it causes people to become disillusioned with the app because people simply won't use the 'Report A Problem' feature if they don't see it doing anything. Apple likes to release things periodically (ie. annually) rather than continually. That's how it functions with its hardware and software releases. The problem is that for a service like Maps, these upgrades should happen continually throughout the year, not on a periodic basis.

I respectfully disagree with both #1 & #2.

Regarding #1, in my opinion, map updates aren't the sort of thing that you "save" for some upcoming software release (assuming you're not limited to doing so). At least not these days. Apple has been hammered on this to an extreme extent (public apology from Tim Cook) that it would be a seriously poor judgement call on their part to do so. They already made one such call when they released Maps in the condition that they did. I very much doubt they'd make the same mistake again...with the same app.

Regarding #2, the "slowness" with which they correct their maps data is entirely relative to how many people they have working on it, how many reports they receive for each error, and how they prioritize those reports, among other things. This is a sentiment I've expressed before.

Let's take a moment to [very roughly] think about some numbers:

There are approximately 300 million iOS 6 devices out there right now. Assuming that not every one of them can account for an error report but instead, say, a third of them, that's still 100 million error reports. Heck, make it a 30th of those devices (10 million reports). I'm confident that the majority of users have never submitted a report but I imagine that there are still many who have. And, as this thread shows, at least some of those users have submitted multiple reports. I know I have.

These reports presumably can't fix themselves, no matter how many times they're duplicated. By this I mean to say (read: assume) that someone has to manually verify the accuracy of any one report, even if all 10 million reports were for the same thing. What getting 10 million reports for one thing likely would do is move that report to the top of the list.

So I'm assuming 10 million reports.

If the team working on these is, for example, a thousand strong and corrections began on day 1 of iOS 6's release 5 months ago, that calculates to approximately 65 corrections per day to be at zero. Of course, many reports are for the same thing so for the sake of argument, I'll assume 10 corrections per day per team member. And still yet, there are likely a more-than-negligible amount of reports that are maliciously bogus, intended to muck things up. These bogus reports further slow the process down in ways we can only speculate about.

To make a long story not as long as it could be, the report that I submitted on day 1 that "moved" the bar nearest to my work to its rightful place is not one that I expect to have corrected anytime soon. But I'm not worried, I still know where that bar is. ;)

And I'm not arguing that any of this is okay. In fact, I think it's a damn shame. But I don't agree that it's "completely hopeless."

mdhwoods

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2008
They dont fix it - thats the problem.

Nope the do not, Notified them that my daughters school is shown as the school that is down the block and across the street. They do not even show her school. Told them months and months ago. Its still wrong.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
Face it: the Apple Maps problem is so very massive that it's going to take years to fix. Also, why would Apple trust any submissions on corrections? They have to verify the data first--which gets back to how abysmal Apple Maps is. Catch 22.

So the best way to report a problem: Use Google Maps instead.

Being able to use Google Maps with Address Book is one of the main reasons I jailbroke my phone. Now I'm waiting for someone to redirect addresses in Safari to use Google Maps instead of the totally unreliable Apple Maps.

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Reported problems the day iOS 6 was released, placed numerous calls to Apple Support, and was promised (repeatedly) that they would make sure my address was fixed to return various functions back to my iDevices.

Still nothing changed.

For me, the maps fiasco is far worse than just one bad app, it has removed features that I had been using, crippled a bunch of 3rd party apps, and shown me how little Apple actually cares about the customer with it's constant lies.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
Of course, many reports are for the same thing so for the sake of argument, I'll assume 10 corrections per day per team member. And still yet, there are likely a more-than-negligible amount of reports that are maliciously bogus, intended to muck things up. These bogus reports further slow the process down in ways we can only speculate about.

The world isn't unchanging. Apple's bug fixing is slower than places change location and new streets are built. It's likely they're going to get worse, not better at this rate.

brettO5

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
They've fixed all three of the issues I've reported. Happened pretty quickly too.

Cheers, Brett

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Apple gets its maps from TomTom, who has been making GPSs for years. If there's a mistake in Apple Maps, it's not because the app is new, it's just because TomTom made a mistake that has yet to be corrected. Therefore, I invite you to use the "Report a Problem" button that is conveniently located above the toggle that lets you switch between standard maps, satellite maps, and hybrid maps. You can even report a problem with a POI by tapping on the pin where Apple Maps thinks the place is and tapping "Report a Problem."

Sure thing, Mr. Cook. When's 10.8.3 coming out?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
I did it a few times when iOS 6 first came out to tell them they had the Verizon store listed as blockbuster (blockbuster closed about 6 months ago) and as of today it still says blockbuster.

Zcev5454

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2013
I have tried to report many, many problems, but I stopped after not noticing any changes at all.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
There are approximately 300 million iOS 6 devices out there right now. Assuming that not every one of them can account for an error report but instead, say, a third of them, that's still 100 million error reports. Heck, make it a 30th of those devices (10 million reports). I'm confident that the majority of users have never submitted a report but I imagine that there are still many who have. And, as this thread shows, at least some of those users have submitted multiple reports. I know I have.

At the very least they should be identifying duplicate reports (based on the GPS location) and using that info they should be able to rank reports that are occurring the most. This would help them prioritize commonly reported errors. There should rarely be a need to manually go through error reports one at a time. If they are, Apple has a terrible system that will never be manageable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.