Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Jeanjeannie
macrumors newbie

Help, I am going M A D !

I am new to Macs and I am really missing my old drawing programme
Serif Drawplus. I am looking for something to replace it which is not mega expensive and also has the option to make cards. I do all my own Greetings cards and friends and family expect them now.
Does anyone know of a Mac programme which will fit the bill?
Thanks in advance
JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cheers.png
Views:	46
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	398034  
Jeanjeannie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 AM   #2
bbeers
macrumors regular

Cheap / Free Vector Drawing Software

While I haven't personally us it, I would take a look at Inkscape it is a free solution i keep hearing people talk about, mostly good.

I would aso look into the Sketchbook apps from Autodesk, there is a free version in the App Store. They have a great interface if you use a tablet regularly.

iDraw would be another option.
bbeers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

I love iDraw which is a very intuitive vector program -about $25 I think, Pixelmator is still on sale for $15 in the Mac App Store and is very good -somewhat similar to Photoshop, Sketchbook Express & Sketchbook Copic are both free but more limited --tools & layers-wise, etc.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Jeanjeannie
macrumors newbie

Thanks very much for the info.
Do you know if any of these programmes have templates for greetings cards, business cards, banners etc?
JJ
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:23 PM   #5
martinX
macrumors 6502a

Take a look at PrintMaster.

Edit: I just looked at some reviews of it. May not be the app you want...

Last edited by martinX; Feb 19, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
martinX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 04:14 PM   #6
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanjeannie View Post
Thanks very much for the info.
Do you know if any of these programmes have templates for greetings cards, business cards, banners etc?
JJ
In the past if I wanted to use an illustration as a card I either dragged it into iPhoto and then used the "Create" button on the bottom & chose size, orientation, borders, etc from the options within iPhoto; OR I configured the illustration in Photoshop to be on the right side of the document and used the rulers & guidelines, etc. and just printed it onto bristol board.

By the way, if you go to Preferences and/or Menu in iDraw, Pixelmator & Photoshop and set Rulers to show, you can drag out guidelines from the top and left sides, they won't print.

I don't know about banners because my inkjet printer doesn't do that. If I needed banner-size enlargements in my past life, I'd email or take a disk to a local printer and had 3 or 4 ft x 25 ft banners printed. With stuff like this, vectors are your friends. And back-of-the-envelope calculations...

---Also, figure out your proportions and check within the menus in your Printer settings for different sizes like postcard, A4, 5x7, 2x3, etc. If I recall correctly, iPhoto has this sort of thing in the Create menu too.

Google for internet graphics tuts too (Pixelmator, Photoshop, Vectortuts+), there were a ton of them just before Valentine's Day. I used one from PSD-Dude.com to make several card variations:

http://www.psd-dude.com/tutorials/ph...n-psd-tutorial

Hmmm, I guess that doesn't exactly help as you want to mail your cards. I email mine now with only a hint at real envelopes, etc. because i'm cheap.

Edit: I just took a look at a card I made using iPhoto last year and the neat thing is that there's also a template for a matching interior with nice matching graphics (I used one with a frame).

Last edited by CrickettGrrrl; Feb 19, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:13 AM   #7
Jeanjeannie
macrumors newbie

I think I need to explain what I do .
I draw & I paint on my laptop and also am into Photography.
I make personalised greetings cards which may be a drawing, a painting or perhaps one of my photos and at the moment I can just work on An A5 card, page by page on my Serif programme. This makes it very easy to print, the front and back pages are on one side of an A4 sheet,and the middle pages are on the other. Just have to fold the paper correctly. I don't want other designs etc just a blank template.

Really appreciate your help guys.
Thank you.
JJ

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics