Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Redesigned MacBook Air Reportedly Planned for 3Q 2013 Launch, Possibly with Retina Display

Taiwanese newspaper Economic Times reports [Google translation, via Mac Otakara] that Apple is lining up suppliers for its next-generation MacBook Air for launch in the third quarter of this year.

According to the report, the MacBook Air will not only be receiving internal upgrades to Intel's new Haswell platform but also a "facelift" with new external features, including the possibility of a Retina display. The report also claims that suppliers will begin shipping components to Apple's assembly partner Quanta during the second quarter of the year.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo had previously included an updated MacBook Air in his 2013 Apple product roadmap, predicting a late second quarter or early third quarter launch for the device. He did, however, indicate that the update would not include Retina displays, which would require substantially more battery power than the current displays and likely force a redesign to also accommodate a somewhat thicker display assembly.

Pricing remains another question for Apple, as the MacBook Air is the company's entry-level notebook and Apple will likely be very hesitant to raise that floor. But while Apple's Retina MacBook Pro models carry significantly higher pricing than their non-Retina counterparts, a significant amount of that cost is related to a shift to solid-state drives, which are already used in the MacBook Air.

Consequently, a shift to a Retina display for the MacBook Air may add a much smaller price premium to the lineup. Apple could also choose to separate the MacBook Air into Retina and non-Retina lines as it has for the MacBook Pro, or offer Retina displays as higher-end options on a unified lineup.

Article Link: Redesigned MacBook Air Reportedly Planned for 3Q 2013 Launch, Possibly with Retina Display
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:57 AM   #2
carl0sian
macrumors regular

Apple bashing begins right about now.....
carl0sian is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:14 AM   #3
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0sian View Post
Apple bashing begins right about now.....
Why do you want to bash Apple?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurix View Post
13.3'' Pro does not have dedicated GPU and still works fine
Insanely great has been replace by works fine.
Bubba Satori is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:15 AM   #4
samcraig
macrumors G5

Apple's old refresh model/timeline has been shattered.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. But those that have been adamant about timing their purchases and/or thinking that their new model will stay the "latest and greatest" for as long as they have will probably be frustrated. And a few will no doubt post here something along "money grab" or that they are pissed about a new model so soon after they just spent their money on X.
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:19 AM   #5
paradox00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Apple's old refresh model/timeline has been shattered.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all. But those that have been adamant about timing their purchases and/or thinking that their new model will stay the "latest and greatest" for as long as they have will probably be frustrated. And a few will no doubt post here something along "money grab" or that they are pissed about a new model so soon after they just spent their money on X.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Air

You can't really make that case for the Air.
paradox00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Redesign? YES! Retina? NO THANKS!

Not that the current MBA is ugly, but it is starting to look a bit aging... plus I'm ready to hop to the MBA from my late 2007 whitebook and I would like to hop on at the very beginning of a design, not the tail end...

I don't need retina on it though... too much of a power/battery hog to be worth it. That should remain a major differentiating feature between the pro and the air.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:18 AM   #7
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Redesign? YES! Retina? NO THANKS!

Not that the current MBA is ugly, but it is starting to look a bit aging... plus I'm ready to hop to the MBA from my late 2007 whitebook and I would like to hop on at the very beginning of a design, not the tail end...

I don't need retina on it though... too much of a power/battery hog to be worth it. That should remain a major differentiating feature between the pro and the air.
Apple won't sacrifice battery life simply for retina.....it will likely keep the battery life it has now.....what product has gotten a retina screen and subsequently gotten worse battery life?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Apple won't sacrifice battery life simply for retina.....it will likely keep the battery life it has now.....what product has gotten a retina screen and subsequently gotten worse battery life?
uhhh... the iPad 3 and 4 are thicker, heavier, take longer to charge (bigger battery), and has worse battery life than the iPad 2..... Apple cannot defy the laws of physics (no matter what their ads convince you).

Sure maybe Apple could create a rMBA that achieves the same battery life (due to improving battery tech and power reduction on haswell), but that only means they could keep the same screen and improve battery life by an hour or two. Plus the rMBP have some performace/graphical degradation because the processor has to work so hard to push that many pixels. Tradeoff isn't worth in IMO for an entry level, consumer device. Especially one that prides itself on being thin and light.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9
carl0sian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Why do you want to bash Apple?

----------

Insanely great has been replace by works fine.
I don't bash apple. Some of the people here do
carl0sian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Throw Out
macrumors member

Redesign? Retina?
Throw Out is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

That would almost require a dedicated GPU, and would provide too much cross over with the Air and Pro w/ Retina. I don't think the 11" could drive retina, and there is already a 13" Pro w/ retina.

Seems like a bogus rumor.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:00 AM   #12
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Call me crazy but the Air doesn't need retina or any of the performance hits when it comes to displaying that high of a resolution on a portable machine.

The pixel density is already good
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
Call me crazy but the Air doesn't need retina or any of the performance hits when it comes to displaying that high of a resolution on a portable machine.
The hardware is not the problem. The drivers are the problem. Even IGPs from 2009 have no problem with the "retina" resolution.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:09 AM   #14
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

$3000
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:10 AM   #15
designaholic
macrumors regular

Bring it...

No need for a redesign, just bang-in a Retina display with a higher color gamut and I'll be a happy man
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Builddesign
macrumors member

...And get rid of that enormous bezel !
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #17
KPOM
macrumors G3

Count me in if there is an 11.6" rMBA. I recently switched from an 11.6" MBA to a 13.3" rMBP, and while I like the screen, I do miss the portability of the MBA.
KPOM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:17 AM   #18
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Dang....I've wanted an Air for a while and was content with waiting until Haswell given the substantial increase in graphics power it will supposedly bring.....but now a redesign and possibly retina???

TAKE. MY. MONEY.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 AM   #19
Acerone
macrumors regular

15" Air please... The MBA have become my favorite...
Acerone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:31 AM   #20
ironsienna
macrumors regular

Looking forward for a black bezel around screen!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:35 AM   #21
roland.g
macrumors 603

Remember the 13" Air has a higher resolution than the 13" Pro

1440 x 900 vs 1280 x 800.

It is just the 13" rMBP that outshines.

Personally I bought a 13" Air last June at the refresh b/c I needed one at the time. I was a little dismayed when the 13" rMBP came out in Oct as I would have had a real dilemma if they both came out in June.

And I ordered the 8GB RAM spec bump, no drive bump though which makes it a $200 difference to the later released 13" Retina.

But I have gone into the store a few times and while the specs are 3.57 vs 2.96 pounds, it feels like more. My Air really feels light and when I pick up the 13" Retina I notice the extra weight.

Maybe I'll want a retina at some point but am glad I got the Air.

I also haven't heard how well all the apps, web pages, and everything else does because it was my understanding that when the 15" Retina was released very few apps took advantage of it, there were scaling issues, and that it really sits somewhere in between as it doesn't "use the full resolution" in a way.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:40 AM   #22
newdeal
macrumors 68000

Retina is not happening with current display technology. Look at the 13" retina macbook pro, what does it have that the air doesn't other than the display? Not much except the gigantic battery required to power the retina display. An air with retina would have terrible battery life unless they made it the same size as the pro...not happening. Maybe one day.
newdeal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:43 AM   #23
CaryMacGuy
macrumors 6502

I would like to see a black/charcoal, white/silver version of the Macbook Air...something akin to the current design of the iPhone 5/iPad Mini/rumored iPad

Maybe the charcoal/silver can be the body of the machine and the black/white glossy finish can surround the bezel and maybe the trackpad.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:44 AM   #24
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Not holding my breath for Retina for the entry level model... which seems to be the one I always buy.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:46 AM   #25
The Samurai
macrumors 68000

Will happily trade in my 15 rMBP for a 13" Retina Air.

Went from a 13" Air to 15" rMBP due to retina screen but miss the weight of the Air.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion