Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Hello all,

I currently have an iPhone 5 running iOS 6.1. I've come across the Jailbreak scene recently and find myself intrigued by the possibilities and customization jailbreaking has to offer. I'm considering jailbreaking but I'm worried about performance, phone responsiveness, and battery drain, as I know jailbreaking and tweaks/apps can all affect phone performance. I would love the ability to enable toggles and customize my lock and home screen, and find myself really drawn to options jailbreaking has to offer, but is it really worth it? I came over to iOS from Windows Phone (closed ecosystem and kind of bland OS) and Android (open as a hot dog in a hall way with limitless customization but performance sucked and I kinda got tired of playing with the phone all the time instead of using it!). Another concern of mine is I've setup a Microsoft exchange server email account on my phone for work email (this is my personal phone, not a company phone), will my work email still work or will it detect the jail break and restrict access to the mail?

Thanks in advance!

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Exchange would be fine, and the performance of the phone correlates to the tweaks.

If you're running several tweaks, then expect the battery to be drain faster and the phone be slower.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Exchange would be fine, and the performance of the phone correlates to the tweaks.

If you're running several tweaks, then expect the battery to be drain faster and the phone be slower.

So would tweaks like NCsettings, Auxo, be huge offenders to battery life?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I would love the ability to enable toggles and customize my lock and home screen, and find myself really drawn to options jailbreaking has to offer, but is it really worth it?
As with any topic, worth is highly subjective. If you want to know then JB and see for yourself. If you don't find it worthwhile then go back to stock. No one can tell you if you'll find it worthwhile or not. Clearly, some find JB worthwhile while others do not as some JB and some do not. I find it highly worthwhile. YMMV.

So would tweaks like NCsettings, Auxo, be huge offenders to battery life?
It's not just a matter of what tweak(s) but your usage as well. Can't comment on these specifically as I don't use them.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Should be relatively ok, else much fewer people would actually use them.

I would recommend you to play around yourself and see how things are.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Thanks for the responses, I'll give it a shot later on today. If I wanted to restore to stock, should I just backup to iTunes first before JB'ing, then I could erase and delete all settings within the phone itself after JB'ing or should I restore to the stock backup created using iTunes?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Yes, I would recommend a clean backup before jailbreak.

Fwiw, I have been jailbreaking my phone since the very first one, which cost me $500, and I remember that it was a tough first time considering the risk.

Since then, I have jail broken countless times and never had major issues, couldn't think of using the phone without jb.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Yes, I would recommend a clean backup before jailbreak.

Fwiw, I have been jailbreaking my phone since the very first one, which cost me $500, and I remember that it was a tough first time considering the risk.

Since then, I have jail broken countless times and never had major issues, couldn't think of using the phone without jb.

Yeah the inclination to jailbreak is getting much stronger ;) When you say clean backup, do you mean backing up first with iTunes or using iCloud? Also, if I wanted to restore after JB'ing, should I do a factory reset in the phone itself or do I use iTunes to factory reset, and then restore the clean backup? Which do you recommend? Also, what's all this I hear about blobs? Is this step even necessary?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Yeah the inclination to jailbreak is getting much stronger ;) When you say clean backup, do you mean backing up first with iTunes or using iCloud? Also, if I wanted to restore after JB'ing, should I do a factory reset in the phone itself or do I use iTunes to factory reset, and then restore the clean backup? Which do you recommend? Also, what's all this I hear about blobs? Is this step even necessary?

Never Factory reset on the phone itself. It will throw it into recovery and it will then need to be restored via iTunes anyway.

DFU restoring as new would be the recommended way of clearing the jailbreak from your device. an iCloud backup or iTunes backup works either way. Blobs shouldn't be an issue unless Apple stops signing iOS 6.1 before you want to restore. There's a program called TinyUmbrella that you can use to save your SHSH blobs, but as of right now, there is no way to restore to a previous iOS version on the iPhone 4S and 5.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
Never Factory reset on the phone itself. It will throw it into recovery and it will then need to be restored via iTunes anyway.

DFU restoring as new would be the recommended way of clearing the jailbreak from your device. an iCloud backup or iTunes backup works either way. Blobs shouldn't be an issue unless Apple stops signing iOS 6.1 before you want to restore. There's a program called TinyUmbrella that you can use to save your SHSH blobs, but as of right now, there is no way to restore to a previous iOS version on the iPhone 4S and 5.

Does DFU restoring completely restore the phone to stock firmware and removes all traces of JB'ing, Cydia, etc.? Thanks!

----------

Also, after JB'ing, can I still sync my phone with iTunes to sync media (e.g., music, etc.)?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Does DFU restoring completely restore the phone to stock firmware and removes all traces of JB'ing, Cydia, etc.? Thanks!

----------

Also, after JB'ing, can I still sync my phone with iTunes to sync media (e.g., music, etc.)?

DFU restoring completely wipes your phone and installs the updated factory firmware. You can restore back to the backup after this process finishes in iTunes.

Yes, after Jailbreaking, you can still sync your media and content with iTunes.

Note that after Jailbreaking the OTA update feature of the newer iOS versions becomes completely disabled. This is good, however because it prevents accidental updates to the new iOS, which usually patches the Jailbreak.

MagicThief83

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
NYC
DFU restoring completely wipes your phone and installs the updated factory firmware. You can restore back to the backup after this process finishes in iTunes.

Yes, after Jailbreaking, you can still sync your media and content with iTunes.

Note that after Jailbreaking the OTA update feature of the newer iOS versions becomes completely disabled. This is good, however because it prevents accidental updates to the new iOS, which usually patches the Jailbreak.

Thank you and to everyone else for their helpful responses. I'm backing up to iTunes now and will JB'ing shortly after :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.