Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
That's the best way I can describe it. I've searched and can't find any articles on it. When I put my Air to sleep, the last image is still showing on the screen, if a light source is shined at it. I never noticed this before with my old MB. Is this normal? Thanks!

superpepino

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
by putting it to sleep are you just hitting the F1 dim key until the light goes out? or are you actually pushing the power button and clicking the sleep button from the options. because if i dim my screen all the way it leaves the image still there but thats because the computer isn't "asleep"

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
by putting it to sleep are you just hitting the F1 dim key until the light goes out? or are you actually pushing the power button and clicking the sleep button from the options. because if i dim my screen all the way it leaves the image still there but thats because the computer isn't "asleep"

I'll have to play around with it more, but I just have it setup that if my cursor goes to the top left hot corner, it puts the display to sleep. I then have to press any key for the display to light up.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Something seems odd there. I am using an external monitor and turn the backlight completely off on the MBA screen (hold down the brightness key until it blacks out). But the LCD panel itself is still active when you do that, and you can see an image on the screen if you shine a bright light on it.

Now if I actually put the display "to sleep" as you describe by moving the cursor to the "hot corner", the screen turns off completely and no image is visible on the MBA screen.

FWIW, I have a 13" late 2011 MBA running 10.7.3

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Turning the backlight down to zero doesn't actually turn off the screen. That's just turning off the backlight.

The reason you're able to still see the image is because some light (from your lights, sunlight, etc) is entering the screen and is then reflected back, thereby illuminating the pixels enough for you to see them.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Turning the backlight down to zero doesn't actually turn off the screen. That's just turning off the backlight.

The reason you're able to still see the image is because some light (from your lights, sunlight, etc) is entering the screen and is then reflected back, thereby illuminating the pixels enough for you to see them.

I just thought it was odd. Just tested it. If I go to the apple symbol and go to sleep. I see no image retention, but if I just use the hot corner to turn the screen off, I see it....Go figure...

----------

I just thought it was odd. Just tested it. If I go to the apple symbol and go to sleep. I see no image retention, but if I just use the hot corner to turn the screen off, I see it....Go figure...

Hmm...Now it is working perfectly. I had transmission running in the background before, when it did it. Now, I've closed transmission, and it's not doing it.......Hmmm.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

----------

Hmm...Now it is working perfectly. I had transmission running in the background before, when it did it. Now, I've closed transmission, and it's not doing it.......Hmmm.

Check the preferences in Transmission. Maybe it prevents sleep if you're downloading or seeding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.