Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:11 PM   #1
stonyboys
macrumors 6502

Water dropped phone with non water problems?

Hey guys I'm wondering, if a phone is dropped in water but the sensors don't go off, is the warranty still void for all problems? Or does a water drop void all warranty, whether its related or not?
stonyboys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:49 PM   #2
dextr3k
macrumors 6502

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one around, who knows a tree fell?

I am saying if the senors didnt go off, who knows if the phone is water damaged?
dextr3k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:33 AM   #3
Ste Nova
macrumors 6502

is there any water dripping out of it?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
It actually depends. If you dropped the phone in non-saltwater, there will be little to no residue left inside of the phone. However, if it took in salt water, there may be white residue on the inside that would indicate the phone was exposed to water. If there is residue, a quick cover up is to use some 99.9% isopropyl alcohol, and clean the visible parts of the phone's internals with a cotton swab.

Even if the phone is water damaged, you can easily find replacement stickers that you can put in, and no one would be able to tell the difference.
iRepairParts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:17 AM   #5
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRepairParts View Post

Even if the phone is water damaged, you can easily find replacement stickers that you can put in, and no one would be able to tell the difference.
In other words, engage in warranty fraud. Tacky... Besides the Apple tech could still find evidence.
old-wiz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:26 AM   #6
iRepairParts
macrumors regular

see vendor information in user profile
Quote:
Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post
In other words, engage in warranty fraud. Tacky... Besides the Apple tech could still find evidence.
I am not condoning warranty fraud in any way, nor am I telling anyone to engage in warranty fraud... That is up to the person whose device is damaged, and their ethics when dealing with the situation. I am simply letting OP know what the options are, and what is on the market.

And although I do recommend being honest about an iPhone being water damaged, your statement that the Apple tech could still find out is wrong.

The reason they have the water damage indicators inside of the phone is so they can see if the indicators have been exposed to liquid (thereby changing color.) If the stickers do not change color, or are replaced with new water damage stickers, there is no indication of water damage.
iRepairParts is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone