Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Netflix today updated its mobile app to version 3.0, adding several user interface improvements. Titles of TV shows and movies are now easily visible when the screen is tapped, and the playback buttons have been moved to a different position.

Most notably, the previously removed zoom icon was re-added to the display, allowing for better access to full screen controls.

netflixredesign.jpg
Old version on the left, new version on the right.
We enhanced the player UI for a better playback experience.

-See the Title in the iPad player UI - Touch the player UI screen to see the title of movie/TV show you are watching

-Zoom icon is back - so you can now control when you watch full screen mode

-Note better placement of play/pause and Back-10 buttons so you can easily control your experience
The universal Netflix app is available for download from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Netflix for iOS Updated with UI Changes, Zoom Icon

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, I like the 10 second back button, but I had hoped that they would add 10 second forward button. I also like the variable way that apps like AirVideo handle zoom, such that it's not all or nothing, but rather a slider that scales from full screen to full letterbox. Sometimes on really wide movies it's nice to be able to reduce the size of the letterbox black bars a little bit...

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Have they added 1080p support to the iPad app like they promised? Haven't seen it in update notes yet after they said it was coming a little under a year ago.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Did the American flag just sneak up on the guy in the right image?

He's actually referencing a serious problem Bush had in office. He would forget that the flag was there, causing great distress and alarm every 20-30 minutes as he noticed it out of the corner of his eye.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Good changes, but the "puffy" scrub bar and button now look a bit out of place with the flatter interface design.

Also, I'd like to see the "back" button jump time be user-definable, maybe 10, 15, or 30 seconds.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Would it kill them to fix AirPlay? Not everyone watches NetFlix via their home network...

No, AppleTV via throttled hotel internet is not an option...

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I wish they would bring back their DVD search feature. It used to be great to search for a title and if it were not on instant, easily add it to your DVD que if that is the only way it was available from them...

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
I wish the same updates Netflix does for the iOS could be also done for Sony Blu Ray player BDP-S780 which has the old UI, does not play in 5.1 surround just LPCM 2.0 and no caption option either.:mad:

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Yay, this is exactly what I would have liked from day one, it took me ages to realize I could make Netflix movies full screen on my iPad :S

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Can the Netflix app Airplay to an AppleTV? I know Netflix is already on the AppleTV, but using the remote or Remote App are a little awkward in comparison to using the Remote app with Home Sharing.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Netflix for iOS Updated with UI Changes, Zoom Icon

Can the Netflix app Airplay to an AppleTV? I know Netflix is already on the AppleTV, but using the remote or Remote App are a little awkward in comparison to using the Remote app with Home Sharing.

Yes it can you mirror it to the apple Tv. when you play a program from the netflix app it plays on the apple tv but can't watch both at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
Netflix sucks big time it has old movies and they don't even have the lion king for my kids to Watch. I had Netflix for free with the promotion that they offer I called back the third day and cancell that mess. (Netflix Sucks)

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So is it safe to upgrade to? Anything get worse in this update?

Netflix sucks big time it has old movies and they don't even have the lion king for my kids to Watch. I had Netflix for free with the promotion that they offer I called back the third day and cancell that mess. (Netflix Sucks)

Movie selection is just OK but there's a huge amount of great TV content, which is the main reason we have it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.