Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sony Announces PlayStation 4, Second-Screen Experience PlayStation App for iOS

Tonight, Sony announced*PlayStation 4, their next generation video game console, at an event in New York City, which was also live streamed on their website. The company announced that the new console would allow gamers to try out new games before purchasing them, share gameplay videos with friends and watch friends play their games in a spectator mode.

Sony also revealed a redesigned Dual Shock controller with a touch pad on the front and showed off tech demos of the console's capabilities and new games like "Killzone: Shadow Fall." While Sony announced some of the hardware specs for the new PS4, they didn't show the device and provided no details about pricing.

Just after announcement, Sony sent out a press release (via Engadget) announcing a PlayStation App for iOS, which will serve as a second-screen experience app, much like Microsoft's Xbox SmartGlass.

Image via Engadget
Quote:
A new application from SCE called "PlayStation®App" will enable iPhone, iPad, and Android based smartphones and tablets to become second screens. Once installed on these devices, users can, for example, see maps on their second screens when playing an adventure game, purchase PS4 games while away from home and download it directly to the console at home, or remotely watch other gamers playing on their devices.
Previously, Sony had released an iOS app called PlayStation Official App that was only available in Europe and Australia and it allowed users to check on their gaming achievements, in the form of "trophies," and check their friends' online statuses.

It's not known when this new app will be available, whether it will cost anything or whether it will have any additional features, but more information is certain to be released as the PlayStation 4's release date gets closer. Sony announced that the PlayStation 4 would be released in the Holiday 2013 timeframe, but did not reveal pricing for the console.

Article Link: Sony Announces PlayStation 4, Second-Screen Experience PlayStation App for iOS
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

"I’d like to be watching this on my television, while hooked onto my mobile device, which is being controlled by my tablet device, which is hooked into my oven, all while sitting in my refrigerator.”
komodrone is offline   46 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:25 AM   #3
spacepower7
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
"I’d like to be watching this on my television, while hooked onto my mobile device, which is being controlled by my tablet device, which is hooked into my oven, all while sitting in my refrigerator.”
I'd like to add...

I want it to move my laundry from my washer to my dryer, then hang my clean laundry.

Maybe Samsung, with all their innovation, can create that machine instead of making washers and dryers the same way they have been made for 50 years.
spacepower7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:24 AM   #4
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Its a good thing that device designers don't listen to you, or they'd be making devices for which there is no addressable market above one person.

Two-display systems, however...
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:39 PM   #5
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Its a good thing that device designers don't listen to you, or they'd be making devices for which there is no addressable market above one person.

Two-display systems, however...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tqIVmF3MPg

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuck View Post
"Who said this?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tqIVmF3MPg
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 06:54 PM   #6
SactoGuy18
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Yahoo to SactoGuy18
While they're shown the controller, I think right now Sony is aiming for a system box that will be just slightly bigger than the first PS3 "Slim" model.

Don't be surprised that the PS4 includes two new features:

1. HDMI 2.0 support to interface with 3840x2160 resolution "4K" displays at upscaled resolution even at 30 frames per second (HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 only at 24 frames per second).

2. 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter support, especially with the expected drop in 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers later this year.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:46 AM   #7
erawsd
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoGuy18 View Post
While they're shown the controller, I think right now Sony is aiming for a system box that will be just slightly bigger than the first PS3 "Slim" model.

Don't be surprised that the PS4 includes two new features:

1. HDMI 2.0 support to interface with 3840x2160 resolution "4K" displays at upscaled resolution even at 30 frames per second (HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 only at 24 frames per second).

2. 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter support, especially with the expected drop in 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers later this year.
Sony's has already confirmed 4K video/picture support but not for games.
erawsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
"Who said this?"
DaffyDuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:44 AM   #9
apolloa
macrumors 601

For those asking why no console was showing. That's because Sony advertised the event as 'The Future Of Playstation', it is ONLY the media and the public that assumed a new console would be shown.
No Sony only showed the future of the Playstation platform, the games, the network, the operating system features, how the Playstation platform will span across the Vita and tablets and smartphones.

Sure it announced the tech specs of the PS4 etc but it didn't have to.

And besides they may not even have the final design yet, they could still be choosing between the final two.
apolloa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:02 PM   #10
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
And besides they may not even have the final design yet, they could still be choosing between the final two.
I'd love to see all the designs they considered ...

"OK, show me the designs"

"Yes, well, we have this retro styled approach, it's 50 lbs, stands 5 feet tall on adjustable legs, and the center section is clear and illuminated with neon lights. It invokes the classic pinball design since that's making a comeback"

"Umm, the other one?"

"It's a 1" black cube"
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:45 PM   #11
singhjeet29
macrumors regular

Finally Sony looking beyond just their own devices and proprietary crap!! Personally quite excited about the PS4 and next-box. Can't wait to see more.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:22 PM   #12
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhjeet29 View Post
Finally Sony looking beyond just their own devices and proprietary crap!! Personally quite excited about the PS4 and next-box. Can't wait to see more.
Maybe because they finally realized they're not the king of electronics anymore. There are 400 million iOS devices in the wild, and probably as many or more Android devices - there are only ~75 million PS3s. SONY needs to play ball with the customer in order to succeed.

Still, they'll have their share of proprietary hardware. By the looks of it, the I/O headset port on their new controller is proprietary.

While I am glad they went with x86 platform, the question of pricing remains. Some speculate that the PS4 will be as much as $999 for the top-ens SKU which would be just ridiculous in our day and age.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:41 AM   #13
bitcloudrzr
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
Maybe because they finally realized they're not the king of electronics anymore. There are 400 million iOS devices in the wild, and probably as many or more Android devices - there are only ~75 million PS3s. SONY needs to play ball with the customer in order to succeed.

Still, they'll have their share of proprietary hardware. By the looks of it, the I/O headset port on their new controller is proprietary.

While I am glad they went with x86 platform, the question of pricing remains. Some speculate that the PS4 will be as much as $999 for the top-ens SKU which would be just ridiculous in our day and age.
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5. You can expect the PS4 to be $399 though, that is the common thread for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
Absolutely the need for quality is there. While a terrible film can become a box office hit, video games live and die based on the quality of the games. Resident Evil 4 was a fantastic game, and sold very well across multiple consoles. Resident Evil 5 was fun, if with a few blemishes. Resident Evil 6 sucked, and the sales took a hit.

The price tags for games make gamers more educated about the perceived quality of the games, so quality is of the utmost importance.

Brawl was fun, but it was a retread. I feel the same way about Mario Kart, as well. However, I absolutely disagree with you on the Galaxy games; though were fantastic achievements in level design, pacing, and gameplay.
A $20 million dollar costing game on PS4 should have much better value for the developer than from PS3. They are making games very easy to develop for and asset generation much easier. The point is so that even indie developers can make really good looking games for very little money.
bitcloudrzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:16 AM   #14
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcloudrzr View Post
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5. You can expect the PS4 to be $399 though, that is the common thread for a while.
Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:36 AM   #15
bitcloudrzr
macrumors member

Quote:
Amount of memory is one thing while actual GPU performance is quite another. Sony announced neither clock speed nor latency for that memory. However, they did announce the GPU processing power (~1.85 TFlops) which is equivalent to $200 GPUs such as GTX 660 or a Radeon HD 7850, and is nowhere near Titan's massive 4.5 TFlops.

Also, considering the fact that Sony won't have to pay for the entire GPU assembly, the cooler, heatsink, or the PCB, as well as the fact that they'll almost certainly get a bulk discount, I'd be surprised if they'll have to pay more than $100 apiece for those chips.
They are committing to a co-processor for OS tasks while games run so all the hardware is dedicated to games. The same thing happened last gen, but this time it's a much better situation. We started with Resistance and have Uncharted 3.

To be fair to the PS3, the hardware was pretty much the mid-range and optimization got them this far and the hardware still has life left.
bitcloudrzr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:46 AM   #16
jackal123uk
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitcloudrzr View Post
The new $1000 graphic card by Nvidia called the GTX Titan only has 6gb of GDDR5.
The 8GB "unified" memory in the PS4 is shared between graphics and system, to say a given graphics card "only has 6 GB" is a bad comparison since this will be dedicated to the graphics, the system will possess more memory generally totalling much more than 8GB.
jackal123uk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:10 AM   #17
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
doubt that price, but I think they'll force people to buy the PS Plus subscriptions to get online now.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:17 AM   #18
runeapple
macrumors 6502

I like the App second screen idea (not that I will ever buy a Playstation) - but they haven't actually showed anything which will make me want to buy it?

As interesting as a dual shock controller is, I would much rather know about the PS4 itself :P
runeapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:35 AM   #19
neiltc13
macrumors 68040

The whining about "we didn't see it!" is pretty silly when you realise that it has a 99% chance of being a plastic, rectangular box.
neiltc13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:05 AM   #20
thisisdallas
macrumors regular

Quote:

I'm almost 100% certain it won't be $999. NOBODY would bother buying a game console for $999, I don't care how great it is. A price that high wouldn't make sense. Console gaming is slowly becoming less popular. Since when was raising the price by almost 4x a smart thing? If the console isn't around $200-$400, they may as well give Microsoft the gold medals now.
thisisdallas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:14 AM   #21
AlbertEinstein
macrumors regular

What is all this hate for PlayStation 4 about? There were a handful of games showed (including Killzone, Driveclub, Infamous and The Witness) and the console has some real specs (8 GB of RAM versus 256 MB of today)!

Seriously, this is probably the best you can get while keeping the price down (talking about price; remember how much the PS3 went for when it first came out? And you are complaining about a better machine at a higher price?).

PlayStation 4 is also supposed to come with a Kinect inspired accessory that will (based on the amount of development time) blow the Kinect out of the water.

And remember the guarantee of games. There will be at least 5 years of games for the PS4, and that's not too shabby.

_
And for you who keeps preaching about Apple creating the ultimate console: C'mon, man. Seriously.
AlbertEinstein is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:35 AM   #22
heretoread
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertEinstein View Post
and the console has some real specs (8 GB of RAM versus 256 MB of today)!
The PS3 has 512MB - 256MB system and 256MB graphics. The new one has 8GB shared. Still a good spec bump!

heretoread
heretoread is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 08:41 AM   #23
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhjeet29 View Post
Finally Sony looking beyond just their own devices and proprietary crap!!
Do you feel the same about Apple?
AppleScruff1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:46 PM   #24
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

All a bit meh really.. What does everyone else think?

Australia really needs to step up their broadband with everything going to the cloud / streaming..
fullauto is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 PM   #25
Fatalbert
Banned

I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

The interface looks better than whatever MS can make, but I hardly know anything about it. I know that I like the PS3 interface waaaaaaaay better than the 360 interface. Wanna play a local multiplayer game? Plug in another controller. Wanna do that on an XBOX 360? D00d you need to sign in br0! Wanna play online? There, enjoy. Wanna do that on a 360? You must subscribe to XBOX Live. You want Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Copper, Helium, Germanium, or Hydrogen Phosphate? Too late, you slow, RRoD, bai.

Last edited by Fatalbert; Feb 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Fatalbert is offline   20 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion