Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
So, iBook G4 1.42GHz is now up and running with Leopard. Swapped disk from another machine so I had to disassemble two iBooks (why are they built the way they are?). Machine works well except for the fact that there's something strange going on with the battery as the charging light shifts back and forth between green and orange. From the system info I can see that the battery does get more charge, slowly but still.

The battery has over 600 load cycles so is it just too old? System info claims that the battery condition is "Good". The machine works with the battery and also with only the charger. I had to detach the DC-IN board in the disassembly process so of course I might have damaged something.

EDIT: Well, with this case it was just too old:
http://forums.macresource.com/read.php?1,730312

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Yes I know what those colors mean but in this case they cycle back and forth, also when I check the system info it shows that the battery is not full. Maximum charge for this battery is 1306 mAh and at the moment it is charged at 934 mAh. I hope the battery is just tool old and the DC-IN board is fine, according to that other case I linked that might be the case, also, over 600 load cycles is a lot of usage.

Last edited:

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
If it cycles back and forth non stop it is most likely the battery.Like you said 600 cylcles is a lot of usage and it no doubt lost its charging capacity over time.If possible I would get a battery asap.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
Yes, I left the machine with charger connected for some time and apparently after it finally had recharged it stopped that shifting and remained green. Over 600 charges is, as said, very much and even without these kind of weird symptoms it is natural that the battery is not in its best shape, which it isn't since it holds charge for about 30-45min.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
I wish I 3 minutes I got an Ibook today,I like it but im spoiled to the powerbook keyboard and as of now not a spec of charge if the cable wiggles the wrong way shes gone.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Same thing happened to me

Hey,

Also, this just happened with my PB G4 DLSD 1.67 - I almost freaked when I saw the charge light going from green to amber vice versa and realized my battery has almost 390 cycles left.

Time for a new battery!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.