Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:50 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Introduces the Chromebook Pixel to Compete With the MacBook Air

Google today announced the Chromebook Pixel, a new Chrome OS-based notebook that Google is aiming directly at Apple's MacBook Air.
On the hardware front, Google has built in a high-resolution touchscreen display, as well as 32 or 64GB SSD storage, a backlit keyboard, and a dual core 1.8GHz Intel i5 processor. The unit includes a 12.85" screen with a 2560 x 1700, 239 ppi display -- the same range as Apple's 13" MacBook Pro with Retina, which has a 227 ppi screen -- as well as two USB 2.0 ports, a Mini Display Port connector, and a SD-card reader.

The machine runs Google's Chrome OS, the web-only operating system that the company introduced almost two years ago. As added perks, the Pixel comes with 1TB of Google Drive cloud storage for three years, and 12 free sessions of GoGo inflight Wi-Fi.
Quote:
So what's next? Today we're excited to announce our newest laptop--the Chromebook Pixel--which brings together the best in hardware, software and design to inspire the next generation of Chromebooks. With the Pixel, we set out to rethink all elements of a computer in order to design the best laptop possible, especially for power users who have fully embraced the cloud. The philosophy of Chrome has always been to minimize the "chrome" of the browser. In much the same way, the goal of the Pixel is to make the pixels disappear, giving people the best web experience.
The Pixel comes in two flavors, a $1,300 model that includes 32GB of SSD storage and Wi-Fi connectivity, while the $1,450 option adds built-in LTE and a 64GB SSD. The Wi-Fi only model ships today while the LTE model is expected in 6-7 weeks.

While the Pixel's hardware is appealing, because it runs the Chrome OS there are not nearly as many apps available for it as comparable Windows or OS X machines. Gadget recommendation site The Wirecutter had this to say:
Quote:
Maybe someday Chrome OS will really be enough of an operating system to replace Mac OS X or Windows on a productivity machine. But at $1,300, the Chromebook Pixel is just too much machine for the software. If you have the money to spend on the Pixel and you need the kind of hardware it's packing, you have so many other better options.
Article Link: Google Introduces the Chromebook Pixel to Compete With the MacBook Air
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:51 PM   #2
tigert07
macrumors regular

this is not competition for the macbook air.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Who came up with this name?

PS: Is this a unibody case?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike MA View Post
Who came up with this name?
Apple suggested.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
Apple suggested.
Google should have listen to Jony Ive's thoughts on product naming
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:56 AM   #6
.macbookpro.
macrumors regular

what I find ridiculous is that they say that I, if I buy one, should only keep their $1300-1400 laptop for 3 years. If that means after three years its going to break, then thats terrible quality.
If that means that after three years you should sell it, who is going to buy it? You have to pay more than $1000 a year to get more than 64gb of storage.
No one will buy one second hand, so you have a waste of a laptop, which probably isn't upgradeable.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 02:13 AM   #7
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quick question does Google have a Tablet computer?
Wouldn't that be a better direction for something like this?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:16 AM   #8
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry&Foolish View Post
I think google has something more important and sensible project in store for us in the coming months. This was just a dry run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
Quick question does Google have a Tablet computer?
Wouldn't that be a better direction for something like this?
They do have the Nexus 7 and Nexus 10. One question is whether they will merge Chrome with Android.

It's entirely possible that the Chromebook Pixel is being positioned like the first MacBook Air, or even to some extent like the 13" rMBP was 4 months ago. It has some compelling features (a HiDPI screen, what appears to be good build quality), but is a bit overpriced for what it does (like the 13" rMBP was until 2 weeks ago) and is not quite ready for primetime (like the early 2008 MacBook Air). However, both those devices attracted small but loyal fan bases (and both were met with derision even among other fans of their respective ecosystems).

What this does seem to indicate is that HiDPI screens are the future.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:14 AM   #9
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Also the screen is a weird size 2560x1700 = 3x2, which is somewhere between 4x3 and 16x9. Which is probably not helping the costs.

I say drop the high res screen, add USB3 and drop the price.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:56 PM   #10
cirus
macrumors 6502a

Might actually be good if it wasn't limited to only chrome OS.
cirus is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:57 PM   #11
sshhoott
macrumors 6502

Loving the aspect ratio ...
sshhoott is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:58 PM   #12
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshhoott View Post
Loving the aspect ratio ...
Like a Think Pad.
Hungry&Foolish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:04 PM   #13
HMI
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if.....

The EULA and TOS actually say:
"By using this product, you agree that any "innovation" or "intellectual property" created with this product will become the sole property of Google, Inc."
HMI is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Renzatic
macrumors 604

LOL! Look people! Someone made a thing! Let us make fun of it and call it stupid!

It's a thin, well designed i5 notebook with retina quality screen. The hardware itself is pretty impressive. You can make fun of it all you want, but it looks at the very least to be a solidly built product on par with what Apple puts out.

Though my biggest question is what will I be using ChromeOS for that requires a Core i5 processor? It's all just cloud and web browsing right now. If I'm gonna pay that much for a computer, I at least wanna run some games on it or something.
Renzatic is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:42 PM   #15
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigert07 View Post
this is not competition for the macbook air.
Not even close
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:30 PM   #16
jcaramanica
macrumors newbie

Don't get me wrong, I have a MacBook Pro, Apple TV 3rd gen. and an iPhone 4S but the one thing I can't stand about "Apple fans" is the fact that they think anything that is not Apple isn't even worth trying. Yeah, Apple is a good company, but I mean seriously, their products are nothing revolutionary anymore, their software is nothing new and their computers honestly aren't even that spectacular. you realize that after you own a Mac for about a month. Also all the comments complaining about the price? Have you seen Apple's prices? Certainly not worth the hardware, and the software.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:37 PM   #17
iSayuSay
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaramanica View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have a MacBook Pro, Apple TV 3rd gen. and an iPhone 4S but the one thing I can't stand about "Apple fans" is the fact that they think anything that is not Apple isn't even worth trying. Yeah, Apple is a good company, but I mean seriously, their products are nothing revolutionary anymore, their software is nothing new and their computers honestly aren't even that spectacular. you realize that after you own a Mac for about a month. Also all the comments complaining about the price? Have you seen Apple's prices? Certainly not worth the hardware, and the software.
Any sane human would agree that Apple's pricing scheme is by no means rationale. Even fanboys admit that.

But this Chromeboom Pixel is even more exorbitant than what Apple does. $1450, for 64GB of storage and already-available retina display?

This makes a retina MBP looks really really a wholesale bargain (while it's not)
iSayuSay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Go to c|net, Engadget, the Verge, ArsTechnica, etc. and lots of people who aren't Apple fans are dumping on this. And the rest of your comments...well they just gave me a good laugh.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:41 PM   #19
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
one thing I can't stand about "Apple fans" is the fact that they think anything that is not Apple isn't even worth trying.
Lol, you think it's just Apple fans? You could replace the word Apple with Android, Windows/PC/etc, virtually any other tech company, just about every car company etc and it would be just as true. Apple fans are no worse.
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:46 PM   #20
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

Quote:
But what exactly could you do with this thing that would justify putting down $1300? A $250 Chromebook to do basic web tasks is a decent value proposition. This isn't
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:47 PM   #21
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Ok so it seems silly to sell a $1,300 web-only computer. But I wonder how many Mac Books are used this way. I'd bet a good percentage of MacBook owners only use the browser.

Google Docs is not bad. I think ther City of Low Angeles has signed up with Google to have Google do all their email, word processing and so on. Chrome OS might be the ideal OS to use in an organization that wa moved 100% to Google products
ChrisA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:49 PM   #22
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Saw the picture in the article, thought it was a MacBook.

Then lol'd
TM WAZZA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:18 AM   #23
JoeBob HenryBob
macrumors newbie

You guys are awesome

One of you summed it up as this:

"It's the new era! Everything has to be touch and somewhat without purpose!" was re Windows 8, chromebook pixel...

I laughed at that for a good ten seconds. Well done!
JoeBob HenryBob is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:55 AM   #24
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Ok so it seems silly to sell a $1,300 web-only computer. But I wonder how many Mac Books are used this way. I'd bet a good percentage of MacBook owners only use the browser.

Google Docs is not bad. I think ther City of Low Angeles has signed up with Google to have Google do all their email, word processing and so on. Chrome OS might be the ideal OS to use in an organization that wa moved 100% to Google products
I know my friend pete uses his mac this way but he will be upset when he cant get his iTunes with this machine.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:27 AM   #25
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
A full fledged computer used that way isn't the same as one for the same price that can only be used that way.

And Apple designed the iPad for those types of people. Even the snazziest one is still $500 off these laptop prices.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion