Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:01 PM   #1
bigsnowdog
macrumors member

Disaster recovery

When I set up my Mac Pro I created an alternate, internal drive that could also be used as a startup drive. I realize that I forget some of the keyboard commands for diagnostic startups, and recognize the inability to research them in crisis when a computer fails to work correctly.

I am wondering how some of you may have prepared for such a possibility. Do you create any sort of references on paper?

I also consider this as I ponder whether to create an alternate drive so I can try Mountain Lion and at the same time keep a drive with Snow Leopard in case I want to go back.

Thoughts?
bigsnowdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:50 PM   #2
COrocket
macrumors 6502

I guess you could jot down notes if your Mac Pro is the only internet capable device in your house. When I do upgrades on my computer I use my ipad to access online DIY guides.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"When I set up my Mac Pro I created an alternate, internal drive that could also be used as a startup drive. I realize that I forget some of the keyboard commands for diagnostic startups"

Well, if the Mac won't boot from your primary startup volume, just do this:
- Reboot
- As soon as you hear the startup sound, hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN
- In a few moments the startup manager will appear, giving you a choice between all bootable volumes
- Select your alternate boot volume and go...
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help