Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New Retina MacBook Pro Processor Bumps Offer Minor 3-5% Performance Improvements

Following last week's introduction of new processors for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup, Primate Labs has analyzed benchmarks coming in from the new machines through the company's popular Geekbench 2 software.

Unsurprisingly, the benchmarks reveal a roughly 3-5% increase in Geekbench scores for each of the processor bumps. For the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro lineup, Apple bumped each of the three available processors by 100 MHz, accounting for the minor benchmark improvements.

Quote:
One thing to note is that the new mid-range Retina MacBook Pro has the same speed processor as the old high-end Retina MacBook Pro. However, the new mid-range model is slightly slower than the old high-end model. While this seems surprising at first, the difference is easily explained by comparing the two processors: the old high-end processor has more cache than the new mid-range processor.
For the 13-inch lineup, the 100 MHz speed bumps were limited to machines based on the high-end stock configuration starting at 256 GB of storage, with those machines also seeing a 3-5% improvement in Geekbench scores.
Aside from the processor improvements for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup, Apple also reduced pricing on the 13-inch models by $200-$300, increased RAM on the high-end 15-inch stock configuration, and reduced pricing on storage options.

Article Link: New Retina MacBook Pro Processor Bumps Offer Minor 3-5% Performance Improvements
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

Stick to phones and tablets Apple.
Smartass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what they are currently doing. There hasn't been a single update to the rMBP in over 4 months. I know I will not be buying an Apple laptop / desktop again unless they do a major overhaul in their approach at conducting business.
noiseordinance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4
Imory
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
I'm pretty sure that's what they are currently doing. There hasn't been a single update to the rMBP in over 4 months. I know I will not be buying an Apple laptop / desktop again unless they do a major overhaul in their approach at conducting business.
Not a single update in over 4 months? Is that considered a long time? Apple has pretty much always released a major overhaul/change once every year, and I don't see why that has to change when it comes to their laptops.
Imory is online now   10 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:07 AM   #5
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imory View Post
Not a single update in over 4 months? Is that considered a long time? Apple has pretty much always released a major overhaul/change once every year, and I don't see why that has to change when it comes to their laptops.
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
mr.steevo
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc.
What is Apple's response when you brought in the computer? Will they replace it?
mr.steevo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:59 PM   #7
JoshAlfie
macrumors member

Quote:
Let's see... Safari is totally ruined on rMBP (CSS not rendered correctly on half the websites, blank white pages), mouse and keyboard become unresponsive when switching GPU, background resets after every reboot, stuttering audio, etc. Yeah, I guess you're right... I should have to wait a year for these to be fixed, as should countless others who complain about the same exact problems.
Although I would not question your right to complain if you feel you have issues I have to disagree with your statement.

I have been using the rMBP extensively since August (surfing, listening to music, playing video games, movie editing, running vms, CAD work, etc) and have had none of the issues that your stating. I am in contact with many people who have the same laptop with the same use as me and had heard no complaints from them either.

After many disappointments with windows machines over the years I view the rMBP as a breath of fresh air. It's how top of the line laptops should have been.
JoshAlfie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Imory
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's not what I meant and you know it. Stop being condescending because it's not going to help you.

What you suffer from is very unfortunate and I would never tolerate that. But it sounds like most of that is related to software issues rather than hardware issues. Nevertheless, maybe you were talking about software updates? In that case I understand your frustration. I guess you've already done a format? Have you tried to return it and get a replacement?
Imory is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:44 AM   #9
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Do you update your system frequently? My friend has had none of the problems you mentioned above.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:04 AM   #10
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Bo bl***y ho, no update in 4 months try waiting 2 years to buy an updated damn computer.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:09 AM   #11
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Bo bl***y ho, no update in 4 months try waiting 2 years to buy an updated damn computer.
I'm talking about waiting several months for fixes to the plethora of issues plaguing the current generation of rMBP. See, I'm complaining about something that I've already paid for. You're waiting 2 years to buy an updated computer? How about you try getting a job and just buy a new computer that currently exists. That usually works well for people. Or you can just cry about it. Then maybe you can collect all your tears, bring it into the Apple store and see if you can trade them in for a magical new product that doesn't exist.
noiseordinance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:29 AM   #12
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
There hasn't been a single update to the rMBP in over 4 months.
...he says in response to an article starting with "Following last week's introduction of new processors for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup".
ctdonath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:56 AM   #13
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
...he says in response to an article starting with "Following last week's introduction of new processors for the Retina MacBook Pro lineup".
Ok, clearly I did not make my post very clear. Let me clarify: there hasn't been a SOFTWARE update in over four months. I realize there hasn't been a hardware update since the rMBP came out last June. The reason I complain is because I hope they fix the current line of rMBPs before releasing the new line. I don't think it's much to ask... really, I just wanna be able to surf the net and listen to music... that sorta function really works fine on my iPhone, and it works fine on a ten year old $20 eMachine off Craigslist, so I don't think it's much to ask in a $2000+ 6 month old computer. (I don't actually have an e-machine, but I betcha surfing and music would be more enjoyable.)

tl;dr: it's hard to get excited about the new line when Apple has really dropped the ball on the current lineup.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:11 PM   #14
bobr1952
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I think your forgot this
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:57 AM   #15
barkmonster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity. They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:23 AM   #16
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity. They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.
Apple is a phone tablet company first. Dont even get me started on the mac pro abandonment.
winston1236 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:48 AM   #17
InuNacho
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Apple is a phone tablet company first. Dont even get me started on the mac pro abandonment.
I actually like the Mac Pro abadonment, it means that my 09 Quad 3.33 is just as good as the current base Quad 3.2. Four years old and still on the cutting edge.
InuNacho is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:47 AM   #18
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
But they're a computer company first and a gadget company second, it's just the gadgets are available for far less than a Mac and sell in far higher quantity.

They've been offering very slim laptops with decent enough specs for quite some years before the Windows Ultrabook/Google Chromebook systems came out to "try" and compete with them and only beat them on cost.
I would truly like to agree, but the cold hard facts are the day they changed the company's name from Apple Computer Inc. to Apple Inc. I knew the party was over for those of us who use & enjoy Macs for work.

Now, as Apple Inc. They've morphed into a mass market mobile device & gadget maker.

One that just happens to have revenue from computers that they are enjoying based on past reputation & the well promoted myth that Macs are easier & don't get viruses.

Supremely obsessed with being "thin & pretty" from the Jobs days, they're still building computers even after convincing the world it's the "Post PC Era" now.

Thus they are now Apple Inc. iDevices are the focus.
maxosx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:32 PM   #19
I.Love.Apple
Banned

Quote:
If they were a "computer company first " why did they remove word "computer" from their corporate name?
I.Love.Apple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:20 PM   #20
barkmonster
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.Love.Apple View Post
If they were a "computer company first " why did they remove word "computer" from their corporate name?
Because they were a computer company first, then started selling iGadgets. Obviously
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 AM   #21
lunarworks
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, they could have simply not bumped the processors... would that have been better?
lunarworks is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:13 AM   #22
alsec
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I hope they don't just stick to phones and tablets. Apple's computers are awesome, especially considering the need for bootcamp. Makes my work life a lot easier!
alsec is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 12:26 PM   #23
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
What? Why? Because competition and spearheading the HiDPI revolution sucks?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:25 PM   #24
drblank
macrumors regular

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imory View Post

Actually many many years ago, it was customary for Apple to have 6 month speed bumps, but they haven't done that for many years. Personally, they have reasons for doing what they do and unless you sit down with their engineers and find out all of the reasons, then we can only speculate.

Maybe they got a better deal on the slightly faster chips, maybe intel was the one that changed things and Apple is just using what Intel can supply.

The PC industry isn't doing to well over all and maybe Intel just spit out slightly faster chips at a reduced price to help get some sales going on.

There is always some amount of logic involved.
drblank is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 PM   #25
hestroy
macrumors member

Quote:
Stick to your ass, smartass.
hestroy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion