Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Verge's Joshua Topolsky has written a lengthy piece about his experiences using Google Glass, the company's new on-face computer.

Google Glass is a tiny computer that mounts to an eyeglass frame and has a small display that is visible only to the user. The wearable device has a built-in camera that sees what the wearer sees, GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth connections. The glasses can handle many of the same tasks as smartphones, including giving driving directions, sending text messages, showing weather reports and more.

googleglass.jpg
Some potential purchasers were concerned that Glass would only be compatible with Google's Android smartphone operating system, but it appears the device will be able to tether to any smartphone via Bluetooth. Topolsky writes:
The device gets data through Wi-Fi on its own, or it can tether via Bluetooth to an Android device or iPhone and use its 3G or 4G data while out and about. There's no cellular radio in Glass, but it does have a GPS chip.
Google hopes to put Glass on sale sometime before the end of the year for less than $1,500.

Article Link: Google Glass Can Use iPhone's Data Connection Via Bluetooth

MTL18

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I give Google tons of points here for trying something new, and I would certainly love to try one in some capacity

BUT....1500 is just too much for a novelty product of limited function.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

Innovating while using standard protocols to allow everyone to use their products instead of a closed, propitiatory ecosystem.

Also, I'm assuming the price is to prevent every Tom, Dick and Harry applying for a pair, along with these requirements:

Using Google+ or Twitter, tell us what you would do if you had Glass, starting with the hashtag #ifihadglass.

Your application must be 50 words or less
You must include #ifihadglass in your application
You can include up to 5 photos with your application
You can include a short video (15 secs max)
Be sure to follow us on Google+ (+ProjectGlass) or Twitter (@projectglass) so that we can contact you directly
You must be at least 18 years old and live in the U.S. to apply

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

• It performs basic mobile functions and nothing else
  • You have to talk to it to make it work, which will be very annoying in public
  • You have to wear a very unflattering pair of glasses
  • It is outrageously expensive

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
You never know ....

I've been saying for a while now, this whole Apple wristwatch thing has potential to be huge, if the next iPhone would be sold as a watch.

No idea if Apple has so much as considered that possibility? But I'd love a product like that. I don't wear glasses and don't particularly want to spend $1000+ to put on a pair of sunglasses or what-not, just to use Google's invention here. But it would be excellent if I could just wear a watch that serves all the purposes of my iPhone.

Think whatever you want, at least google is innovating at the moment. Can't say the same about Apple.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Neat idea... limited appeal for what they show. Might have more utility use in business where it acts like a heads up display in certain job situations.

Price needs to be under $200 to be interesting.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
I like the way google is using augmented reality. It isn't overwhelming, it's just a little box in the corner. I'm excited about this, especially from a developer's perspective. I wonder when google is going to make a glass SDK. :rolleyes:

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007

throwing tech against the wall to see what sticks isn't innovating. it's r&d.

innovating is the deployment and creation of new technology to the masses to change lives. that includes android, google maps, iPhone, iPad, iPod, etc.

maybe someday google glass will become innovation.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
It seems to me like google is just throwing everything they can think of against the wall and waiting to see what sticks. Let's look at this objectively:

What, exactly, is the appeal of this device? Who is it for? Skydivers who don't want to buy one of those go cameras?

everything has to start out as something that looks like an "prototype" and will evolve over time but someone has to be willing to push it and thats what google is trying to do. Remember what the first smartphone looked like? kids in 10 years will laugh at todays capability of those glasses but it may be "amazing" and the norm by 2020. however if no ones gonna "innovate" something new, it doesnt even have a chance to evolve into something great

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD

The same thing could have been said about the first bluetooth headsets which only geeks wore. Now its very common to see someone speaking randomly in public and having one of those bolted to their ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.