Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

After Meeting With Apple CFO, Analyst Believes Lower-Cost iPhone Makes Good Sense

Following recent meetings with Apple Chief Financial Officer Peter Oppenheimer, Morgan Stanley analyst Katy Huberty today issued a research note sharing some of her takeaways from those discussions and her views on Apple's future plans.

While she did not disclose any specific information shared by Oppenheimer, Huberty did come away feeling that Apple will be working hard to expand carrier partnerships and distribution for the iPhone to drive growth in Apple's largest segment. She also believes that Apple is working to develop new services to take advantage of the "stickiness" of the Apple ecosystem.

On the topic of the lower-cost iPhone which has been the subject of increasing rumors, Huberty makes the case Apple's experience with the iPad mini and continued strong sales of the iPhone 4 that saw the company experiencing shortages throughout the fourth quarter of 2012 are driving the company's efforts to focus more on cheaper offerings.
Quote:
We also see several signs that a lower priced iPhone makes sense: 1) iPad Mini is expanding Apple's customer base with 50% of purchases in China/Brazil representing new customers to the ecosystem. 2) Chinese consumers show a desire to purchase the latest version of iPhone (instead of discounted older generations). 3) iPhone 4 demand surprised to the upside in the December quarter. Even at a low 40% gross margin and 1/3 cannibalization rate, we see an "iPhone Mini" as incremental to revenue and gross profit dollars.
Huberty goes on to note that she believes Apple has maintained its long-standing approach to product decisions under the leadership of Tim Cook and that the company remains committed to innovation with a strong product pipeline under development. Despite continued investments in that pipeline, Huberty believes that Apple is likely to return more cash to shareholders as its cash holdings continue to grow.

Article Link: After Meeting With Apple CFO, Analyst Believes Lower-Cost iPhone Makes Good Sense
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Wonder if we can get it in the US?
KdParker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:22 PM   #3
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

And when does Apple listen to analysts?
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:24 PM   #4
dBeats
macrumors 6502

She forgot to mention the lifetime supply of iTunes gift cards she walked out with.
dBeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:24 PM   #5
MTL18
macrumors regular

Not against a cheaper iPhone for nations with a large population and no carrier subsidization.

AKA keep this out of the US and Canada where your margins are huge and most people pay 199 for your phone!
MTL18 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:24 PM   #6
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

As usual, I stopped reading at "analyst".
iMikeT is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 PM   #7
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
+1,000 iMikeT.

Isn't it nice to know that if you can't do anything else, you can always be a Wall Street analyst.
Breaking Good is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:35 PM   #8
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL18 View Post
Not against a cheaper iPhone for nations with a large population and no carrier subsidization.

AKA keep this out of the US and Canada where your margins are huge and most people pay 199 for your phone!
Why?
AppleScruff1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL18 View Post

It would make tons of sense for no-contract carries like Metro USA, Virgin Mobile, Boost, etc. Those phones are at full cost, meaning it's about $500 for an iPhone 4S right now. Drop a new model in there at $350 and you're competing with the Android-based phones sold by those companies.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:52 AM   #10
HavocLink
macrumors newbie

The problem isn't lowering the price of the phones. It's lowering the price of phone plans. When you have service providers like Verizon, AT&T, etc. sitting on an ever growing mountain of cash that they GOUGE from us every month, you have a problem.
HavocLink is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:28 PM   #11
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Maybe since the CEO is now himself an analyst.

I'm pretty sure Apple will get more of a "let's debate about it" style than with Steve.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:36 PM   #12
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

At some point the current target market gets saturated. Much as I love products, I'm only gonna have 1 iPad, 1 iPhone, 2 Macs (home & work) at a time, and (when available) 1 iWatch, upgrading each no more than every 2 years (and probably a lot less often); likewise for most current customers. The $500-$5000 market audience is limited and heading toward saturated. More products in that range will not sell proportionately more.

If is gonna grow more, they have to address & expand fringes. Higher cost devices is a exponentially-decreasing category. That leaves cheaper ... so of course lower-cost iPhones make sense. Make 'em more akin to iPod Nanos with phone capability.

Stickiness works. I bought an iPod Shuffle, and now I've got 4 iDevices in front of me, 4 more at home, and write iOS apps for a living. I have been assimilated. Resistance is futile.
ctdonath is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:37 PM   #13
fertilized-egg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsRgr8 View Post
Maybe since the CEO is now himself an analyst.

I'm pretty sure Apple will get more of a "let's debate about it" style than with Steve.
When did Cook work as an analyst? He has an MBA on top of his engineering degree but never worked as a financial/accounting role as far as I know.
fertilized-egg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:39 PM   #14
Mattsasa
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Mattsasa
why lower cost? its already free with carrier subsidies.

where would this have its advantage? only outside USA?
Mattsasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:41 PM   #15
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

Awesome!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:43 PM   #16
dave420
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattsasa View Post

There are lots of people in the USA using iPhones on prepaid providers, and a lot of them pay full price. The iPhone 4 costs around $450. What is wrong with Apple making a new device in that price range? Why should the only device be one that was first released in 2010?
dave420 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Portaluk
macrumors regular

Quote:

Its not really free, the cost of the handset is just included in the monthly price of that two year contract.
Portaluk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:24 PM   #18
iMcLovin
macrumors 65816

Quote:

I never understood americans view un subsidised phones?? It seems you think you are getting the phones for free, you even refer to the subsidised price when you talk about how much the phones cost. Do you know that you are actually paying more for the phone than they would cost paying full price right away? ...but the price is baked into the subscription...and the more money you pay to your carrier, the less you will have to pay for the phone.

We have these offers in Europe too, and most people use them, but at least we know it´s not a free phone.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:17 PM   #19
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
Exactly. This is what I don't want apple to become. A design by committee company.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:26 PM   #20
dave420
macrumors 65816

That seems like a fair statement. People would like to have current technology rather than a discounted device from years ago.
For the $450 no contract price of the iPhone 4 Apple could make a better device.
dave420 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:30 PM   #21
cojocu
macrumors newbie

Quote:

This.
cojocu is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:32 PM   #22
2bikes
macrumors 6502

I wonder how much CFO knows about products in the pipeline.
2bikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:33 PM   #23
Squilly
macrumors 68020

I still hate the idea. Apple is known for durability. Lowering that destroys their image imo.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:45 PM   #24
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I still hate the idea. Apple is known for durability. Lowering that destroys their image imo.
Says the guy who probably won't buy it.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:47 PM   #25
SeniorGato1
macrumors regular

Lower cost iPhone? how about the 3GS
SeniorGato1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion