Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Matt606
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Steaming Hot off the Presses! iPad mini retina Screens [Rumour]

looks like the iPad mini retina screen is well under way in production and looks like it could be out in time for march. (am i allowed to link other sites?) might postpone my purchase of the mini

http://www.cultofmac.com/217153/appl...isplays-rumor/

Last edited by Matt606; Feb 22, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:10 PM   #2
lucasfer899
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: London
I for one, can't wait! Will be buying one on launch
lucasfer899 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
I for one, can't wait! Will be buying one on launch
same, its the only thing really stopping me from snapping up a mini right away.
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:15 PM   #4
mac jones
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Yummy
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Hot off the rumor mill, you mean?

A rumor repeated by the media is still a rumor.
poloponies is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Alundra
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
that would suck because i just bought my ipad mini a week ago
Alundra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:53 PM   #7
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasfer899 View Post
I for one, can't wait! Will be buying one on launch
Can't wait to dump this low res mini.

It's just not up to Apple standards, but hey, they made plenty of money Off of us. The display isn't bad, it's actually fine for what it is. But Apple ripped us off as compared to my $199 Nexus 7 with higher resolution.

I bet the new retina mini will really be pricey. It will be interesting to see what they charge. Not that it matters to me, when one decides to become a serious Apple enthusiast & frequent buyer you learn that it's not about value, but making Apple happy
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:57 PM   #8
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
^ yikes.
__________________
"Everything's amazing and nobody's happy" - Louis CK
NameUndecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
hopefully with the minimal cost increase speculated, apple will just keep the same prices. i cant remember the last time they actually raised the price of a new product, so why start now? after all they make a decent enough profit margin already
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:36 PM   #10
D.T.
macrumors 68020
 
D.T.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vilano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
l really be pricey. It will be interesting to see what they charge. Not that it matters to me, when one decides to become a serious Apple enthusiast & frequent buyer you learn that it's not about value, but making Apple happy
Well, we can assume it won't be more than $499, that's most a 16GB Apple tablet has ever been priced, and that's the 4th gen (with a retina display, A6X, etc.)

FWIW, my value proposition isn't just price as it relates to specifications. There's construction, materials, app availability, stability, interoperability, support, service, sales experience, just to name a few additional things I believe contribute to the _total_ value picture.
__________________
"It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential." ~Bruce Lee
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:49 PM   #11
mac jones
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
A decent rumor, as rumors go.

A good 8 out of 10, give or take.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:50 PM   #12
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUndecided View Post
Yes, of course you can link to other sites.

Is this a thing that's being reported? I don't see a story about screens anywhere (yet).
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/02...ns-production/

Found this one.
SeanR1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:59 PM   #13
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt606 View Post
looks like the iPad mini retina screen is well under way in production and looks like it could be out in time for march. (am i allowed to link other sites?) might postpone my purchase of the mini
Source?
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:08 PM   #14
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Source?
http://www.cultofmac.com/217153/appl...isplays-rumor/
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:18 PM   #15
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt606 View Post

Labeled as:

Rumor....
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:25 PM   #16
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Labeled as:

Rumor....
never said it was FACT did i?
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:53 PM   #17
jav6454
macrumors G5
 
jav6454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt606 View Post
never said it was FACT did i?
You don't fool me. Your thread started as fact, but when you were pointed to the fact it was a rumor you edited the entire thread.
__________________
Al MacBook 2.4GHz Late '08 | 5 S⃣ | Macross Click Me
jav6454 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:21 PM   #18
SeanR1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Labeled as:

Rumor....
Holy Crap he should post that on a rumor site not HERE....o wait......
SeanR1 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:28 AM   #19
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000
 
WilliamLondon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere?
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:44 AM   #20
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere?
A lot of people have been saying September- November release and it makes sense but there is increasing evidence that release for both ipad 5 and mini 2 could be as early as April. I think a summer release is looking most likely.

Last edited by Samtb; Feb 23, 2013 at 06:50 AM.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:35 AM   #21
Matt606
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLondon View Post
You claim March for this rumour, but the article clearly states the rumour did not contain any release dates, instead it theorises, "it could be as early as this summer". Does that mean the launch will be in the southern hemisphere?
i dont claim march, but it does make sense for it to be around that time if this is true. after all why would they start production this far ahead if they were to launch in the fall? again thats just my opinion
Matt606 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:54 AM   #22
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt606 View Post
i dont claim march, but it does make sense for it to be around that time if this is true. after all why would they start production this far ahead if they were to launch in the fall? again thats just my opinion
They normally start assembly of the units themselves 3 months before launch so parts assembly will start over 4 months before launch. If they've just started the screen production, it won't be out by March, it would be April at earliest. Mass production on an Apple scale is huge and takes months.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:09 AM   #23
ZuneMan?
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Apple Store
So Apple is going to release a new mini only a few months after the original's release?? Highly unlikely. Don't expect it to come out any earlier than July
ZuneMan? is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 09:52 AM   #24
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?
iThinkergoiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:24 AM   #25
Samtb
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
I'm fascinated by everyone's claim that the mini will go up in price when Retina is added. Why do you think this? Neither the iPad, iPhone, nor iPod Touch went up in price when Retina was added, what makes you think the mini will be the exception?
The fact that its hard to put a retina display in such a small device and because they compromised on the mini to make it cheaper by using A5 chip, to keep the cost down. Retina would require a larger battery, more efficient display and at least A5X, which is more of a jump than from ipad2 to 3. This combined with the fact that mini would have lower margins anyway.
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC