Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

New iPad 5 Case Consistent with Rumored Mini-Style Redesign

Apple accessory manufacturer MiniSuit has already created a case for the upcoming fifth-generation iPad, based on data and specifications received from what the site claims is a reliable source. The site sent MacRumors photos of the case this evening.

Case manufacturers often obtain case specs ahead of product releases to get a jump on manufacturing. Creating a case based on measurements can be a gamble, but an early case release can be financially beneficial.

The iPad 5 case is slimmer than the fourth-generation iPad case, which supports rumors that the next iPad will share design similarities with the iPad mini, most notably featuring smaller side bezels.

The back of the case depicts an extra hole, which is for the microphone. The current fourth-generation iPad's microphone is located at the top of the device, but Apple has relocated the microphone to the back of the iPad 5, as noted in leaked photos of the rear shell of the device.

In addition to slimmer bezels and a smaller size, the iPad 5 is said to be significantly thinner than the iPad 4, featuring the chamfered edges of the iPad mini, which is apparent in the less angled design of the iPad 5 case.*We recently posted a mockup of what the fifth-generation iPad might look like, based on the current rumors and the leaked rear shell.

An iPad 5 with a reduced size would likely necessitate a redesign of the interior of the tablet as well, incorporating smaller chip components and a thinner display panel.

Several different release dates for the fifth-generation iPad have been suggested, ranging from March to mid-year to October, with most rumors settling on a fall release. According to MiniSuit, Apple's iPad 5 will be released in June.

Additional photos:

Article Link: New iPad 5 Case Consistent with Rumored Mini-Style Redesign
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

nah these are for the iPad 6, which comes out 3 months after ipad 5
komodrone is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:16 PM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I will miss the beveled edges. It made the tablet super easy to pick up from any angle when on a table.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:40 PM   #4
gaximus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
I will miss the beveled edges. It made the tablet super easy to pick up from any angle when on a table.
Unless it's face down. It's like trying to pick up a penny after cutting your nails to short.
gaximus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:49 PM   #5
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Nice, loving this redesign. But I'm at a crossroads right now, I'm not sure if I should continue using my iPad with keyboard at school and buy this new generation, or to ditch it completely for the upcoming Retina 11inch MBA. I really don't know what to do, I love the iPad but an MBA would seem much more practical. Decisions decisions...
likemyorbs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:03 AM   #6
moxxey
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
...or to ditch it completely for the upcoming Retina 11inch MBA.
What upcoming retina 11 Air?!

Universal agreement is that the MBP range will become fully retina by the end of this year, but the Air's are too small and light to get retina so quickly. Battery capacity for a laptop would have to be far greater than the iPad, which would make it much heavier (and not an Air).

I'd get an iPad now. You can always trade it to someone at later date. They hold their value fairly well.
moxxey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:55 PM   #7
ikramerica
macrumors regular

Quote:
And super painful to hold or rest on you considering the weight...
ikramerica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Casiotone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikramerica View Post
And super painful to hold or rest on you considering the weight...
The iPad 2-4 form factor was really a bad design in my humble opinion for exactly that reason. I would've preferred if Apple kept the iPad 1 design and made it a little thinner.

The worst thing is that they kept this flawed design on three successive generations of iPads! I guess that Jony Ive with his "large manly hands" doesn't feel any pain from holding an iPad 4 for any amount of time (or uses a case).

It's also possible that Apple realized that the design was not optimal but that the replacement form factor took longer than expected to perfect and will only appear this year in the next gen iPad.

Last edited by Casiotone; Feb 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: His instead of its. Jony Ive is not a thing.
Casiotone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Ambush083
macrumors regular

Quote:
Do you even lift?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:16 PM   #10
appleguy123
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush083 View Post
Do you even lift?
It's not about weight, it's about grip.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
Ambush083
macrumors regular

Quote:
It's not about weight, it's about grip.
haha! I'm sure you heard of this meme, right?

Old Mar 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #12
slffl
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I also like the placement of the speaker with the beveled edge. It let the sound bounce off the table nicely, or let my hand naturally bounce it back while holding it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macUser2007 View Post
Now, the iPhone is certainly a prettier phone. It's better designed and better made than the Galaxy Nexus. But iOS has been stagnant, while Google has been working hard to improve their OS. And it shows.
How is iOS stangant and Android improving? HOW?! You all keep repeating this and NEVER say why? Android can't even BACKUP and RESTORE!!! How is that improving on iOS?!

And if you say animated wallpapers, widgets, or themes
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by slffl View Post

How is iOS stangant and Android improving? HOW?! You all keep repeating this and NEVER say why? Android can't even BACKUP and RESTORE!!! How is that improving on iOS?!

And if you say animated wallpapers, widgets, or themes
I wouldn't say iOS is stale, but Android is getting more features far faster these days. Off the top of my head, I can think of easy access to all the settings from the notification menu, better keyboards with much, much better autocorrect setup, kinetic scrolling without having to drill down into the settings app, A DAMN BACK BUTTON MY GOD IT'S SO FREAKING NICE, a better send-to-app setup, being able to set default apps, the contextual features in Google Now, being able to set shortcuts to pages and features within apps from the springboard, ...

...and widgets.

These are just off the top of my head. Now don't get me wrong, iOS doesn't suck in comparison or anything, but it is lacking some really nice things Android has had for a little while now.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:17 PM   #14
Krud92
macrumors newbie

New headphones?

If they have the headphone jack on the back of the iPad, do you think there will be new headphones? Most headphone jacks are longer than the iPad is wide
Krud92 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:20 PM   #15
Yojimbo007
macrumors regular

Whats the point of the mic being on the back of the pad... Makes no sense..
Yojimbo007 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:23 PM   #16
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post
Silent movies went out in the 1920's or so.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:27 PM   #17
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Silent movies went out in the 1920's or so.
Silent video chat has never existed to my knowledge.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:27 PM   #18
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

Well switching to this setup, I do wonder how much weight they will shed?

Also will the screen allow me to play my Fruit Ninja games without glitching?

Meh, it has my money probably already... ...unless the mini goes retina and can keep the weight at a good limit.
SAIRUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:30 PM   #19
mac jones
macrumors 68040

I think I'll hold off pre-ordering one of these cases.

Nothing like building accessories based on rumors.

There's always a couple, and they are always off just a little.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:17 PM   #20
Lancer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post
When you're recording video of someone else you want to heard them

Like replacing my iPhone I've waited so long for an iPad a few more months won't kill me, can't wait to see what they release in June.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:26 PM   #21
SAIRUS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer View Post
When you're recording video of someone else you want to heard them

Like replacing my iPhone I've waited so long for an iPad a few more months won't kill me, can't wait to see what they release in June.
True, but what about front camera FaceTime video chats? Hopefully placing the mic on the back will not impact clarity. On the Mini it's still on the top.
SAIRUS is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:38 PM   #22
DaffyDuck
macrumors 6502

So we are seeing components from their partners and it's not going to be released for another 8 months? That is way too long.
DaffyDuck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:47 PM   #23
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Don't like the microphone rearrangement.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:13 PM   #24
fel10
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to fel10 Send a message via Yahoo to fel10
Whatever the design is, I'm upgrading my iPad 2 this year.
TVs
fel10 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:19 PM   #25
Gator Bob

I'm screwed. Happily so.

i love both my mini and ipad 3 so i'll immediately buy both a retina mini and a lighter, slimmer ipad 5 ... plus two new cases.
Gator Bob is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion