Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I just recently added Google Analytics to my website and I'm just curious how everyone uses it to benefit them in the long run. Still learning how to navigate through the multiple pages, would love some advice.

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I usually use it to track types of browsers / mobile devices, certain post I write, see where people visit from geographically. If you write a number of post, you'll eventually be able to see which post people visit more often, then you could write more towards that subject type. Another use is tracking where people are referred from with organic searches, referral sites and the keywords in search used to find you.

dsh3

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2012
Denmark
I mainly use GA to track viewing stats of certain posts, use real-time stats after posting/sharing posts to follow the readers, and especially use it for tracking the downloads of my iPhone 4/4S wallpapers and iPhone 5 wallpapers on my site.

For tracking the downloads of the wallpapers, I've set up an easy to dashboard to track the most popular wallpapers.

I'm an utter novice at using GA, so there's probably a way smarter way to do this. But at least I did it myself :D

Attachments

• dashboard.jpg
    dashboard.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 141

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I usually use it to track types of browsers / mobile devices, certain post I write, see where people visit from geographically. If you write a number of post, you'll eventually be able to see which post people visit more often, then you could write more towards that subject type. Another use is tracking where people are referred from with organic searches, referral sites and the keywords in search used to find you.

What hyperlinks do you click to see the keywords they used to get to your site and which pages they view most often? I'm still learning the terminology they use to make sure I understand what a drop off even is.

Alphakline

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
What hyperlinks do you click to see the keywords they used to get to your site and which pages they view most often? I'm still learning the terminology they use to make sure I understand what a drop off even is.

Keywords, you can find under Traffic Sources > Sources > Search > Organic

Page visits you can find under Content > Site Content > All Pages

Randy McKown

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2011
My primary use is for finding out how people got there .. what site referred them, organic search phrases, which social media .. things that I can use to maximize future promotions.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
As an end user, I block google analytics, and similar sites such as doubleclick, in any way possible.

As a system admin, who supports servers running the Apache web server, and a couple of other competing web servers, I know that most, if not all of the stats listed above are available in the web server logs.

In regards to my end user comments, before you start sending flames my way, I realize my opinions are not the majority. Most end users probably don't care. But also realize, I am also not unique. Your most accurate site records are in your server logs.

tekboi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
EasŦcoast
I personally use it to monitor my blog traffic. I use it to see how many hits certain posts get. And from there i determine what kind of blog content I should create for blog in the future. Very Powerful tools

I also used it in making decision on how i should redesign the website. What browsers were more popular, OS being used etc...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.