Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:11 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Fixes Exploits Used for Evasi0n Jailbreak

The upcoming iOS 6.1.3 update, which was seeded in beta form to developers last week, will put an end to new versions of the evasi0n jailbreak.

Forbes reports that evad3rs team member David Wang (aka planetbeing on Twitter) tested the patch over the weekend and found that one of the five exploits the hack uses was repaired.
Quote:
Wang tells me that he's analyzed the 6.1.3 beta 2 update and found that it patches at least one of the five bugs the jailbreak exploits, namely a flaw in the operating system's time zone settings. The beta update likely signals the end of using evasi0n to hack new or updated devices after the update is released to users, says Wang, who says he's still testing the patch to see which other vulnerabilities exploited by the jailbreak might no longer exist in the new operating system.
Despite evasi0n's record number of downloads, hitting seven million installs just four days after release, Apple has been relatively slow to patch the bugs that make evasi0n possible, compared to some previous jailbreaks.

The Cupertino-based company pushed the iOS 6.1.2 update six days ago, without a fix for evasi0n, which has now been available for download for three weeks. According to Forbes, it took Apple just nine days to fix Jailbreakme 3.0, the jailbreaking tool for the iPhone 4.

Wang is predicting that the iOS 6.1.3 update might take as long as a month to be released, and he also mentioned that the evad3rs have discovered additional bugs in the operating system, which could lead to a new jailbreak in the future.

iOS 6.1.3 will bring improved Maps to Japan along with a fix for the Passcode bug that was discovered after iOS 6.1.

Article Link: iOS 6.1.3 Beta 2 Fixes Exploits Used for Evasi0n Jailbreak
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:12 PM   #2
Jest3r
macrumors regular

The passcode bug existed prior to 6.1.
Jest3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
davidec
macrumors regular

They really are on the ball with these things now aren't they?
davidec is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

So many updates, for ****s sake. Get your act together!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:15 PM   #5
TheGreenBastard
macrumors regular

Looks like I won't be leaving 6.1.2 for awhile.
Old Mar 2, 2013, 02:18 PM   #6
George Knighton
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to George Knighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
Looks like I won't be leaving 6.1.2 for awhile.
I have said several times that I don't really need to jailbreak any longer, but now that I have, and now that I've paid for a few things, I'll probably do the same as you and stay on 6.1.2 as long as necessary.

It's working fine, and once you get used to Accelerate an iPhone seems slow.

:-)
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:25 PM   #7
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
What? Lots of updates are a GOOD thing and means that they DO have their **** together.

Would you rather they find out about bugs and security flaws and ignore them so that they can patch them all at once a month from now? It's much better to release a small update to patch a hole and then release another one a week later to patch the second hole.
TimUSCA is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:34 PM   #8
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post
What? Lots of updates are a GOOD thing and means that they DO have their **** together.

Would you rather they find out about bugs and security flaws and ignore them so that they can patch them all at once a month from now? It's much better to release a small update to patch a hole and then release another one a week later to patch the second hole.
No, I'd rather them fix everything at once. Like the recent 6.1.2 and now 6.1.3 could easily be combined.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
fahlman
macrumors member

Quote:
No, I'd rather them fix everything at once. Like the recent 6.1.2 and now 6.1.3 could easily be combined.
Said no one who was experiencing the Exchange problem.
NOTICE: While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, fahlman cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions. Unless otherwise indicated, opinions expressed herein are those of fahlman and do not necessarily represent the views of MacRumors.com
fahlman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Swift
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Ask your buddies to stop jailbreaking. It always relies on basically doing the same thing that viruses do; crash the app and take control. Write stuff in places it would normally not be permitted. Then force-quit the app or the OS. Bingo! It's changed. How can they not patch that? If the jailbreaking worked some other way, they could leave it alone. But if EvasiOn can do it, then anybody else can, too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmoore74 View Post
Isn't it ironic. I unlocked every Android device bootloader I've owned just to get the latest and greatest version of Android but iOS users will be avoiding the next version like the plague to keep their jailbreaks. That shows you the difference between Apple vs Google right there.
Samsung can try to re-lock my Note 2 bootloader till the cows come home but once your unlocked on Android there is no need to load up a factory ROM or accept OEM updates. You can just keep using custom or modified stock Samsung ROM's without seeing an update. I'm about to flash a Rom called "JediX". How can you not love a Rom with the word "Jedi" in it's name? My S-Pen will double as a lightsaber in about 5 minutes .
Apple's practices will actually make people want to come over to Android.
Actually, no. iOS users will not, as a rule, be anything but glad about the new update, since it squashes vulnerabilities. Go ahead, enjoy your fun, but jailbreakers are about as high a percentage as those who make PC Macs. Interesting, but you're not THE market. I'd be hellishly annoyed if I had to worry about bootloaders and so on. Most people like the updates, because, unlike Android, we do get new versions of iOS regularly, and for free.
Swift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Aidan5806
macrumors 6502

Quote:
At least all of Apple's devices with this problem will receive this update.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:16 PM   #12
macrumors 65816

that was quick .... too bad.

Hope they fix all the other bugs as quick.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:16 PM   #13
doasis23
macrumors regular

I don't care. I am not giving up my jailbreak. I am not upgrading until ios7.
doasis23 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:18 PM   #14
ECUpirate44
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by doasis23 View Post
Hell if we have another joke update like iOS 5 was to iOS 6, I have no problem skipping iOS7 all together.
ECUpirate44 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #15
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Hell if we have another joke update like iOS 5 was to iOS 6, I have no problem skipping iOS7 all together.
At first glance I thought you called iOS 5 a joke update.
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:13 PM   #16
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUpirate44 View Post
Another joke update like iOS 6 and even more people won't have a problem skipping iOS devices all together.
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Frenchjay
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by doasis23 View Post
There's literally no point. The battery is ok, the Exchange bug doesn't effect normal users, the lock screen may be risk but unlikely and many of the small features in future releases will likely be replicated on Cydia anyway.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:47 PM   #18
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchjay View Post
There's literally no point. The battery is ok, the Exchange bug doesn't effect normal users, the lock screen may be risk but unlikely and many of the small features in future releases will likely be replicated on Cydiq anyway.
The Exchange bug has actually been fixed in the already released iOS 6.1.2 update (which still works with the existing jailbreak).
C DM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:50 PM   #19
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Seems like apple doesnt really care about jbing and they just post patches to stop it to pretend like they do care.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:16 PM   #20
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Seems like apple doesnt really care about jbing and they just post patches to stop it to pretend like they do care.
JBing exploits security holes in the system. They patch those because they are a security issue, not because of JBing specifically.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:08 AM   #21
ajxoxo
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post

Yeah, but David Wang of the evad3rs team says that exploits used by the evad3rs to make the jail real tool are being patched by Apple in the next 6.1.3 update.

From the article...
"Wang tells me that he's analyzed the 6.1.3 beta 2 update and found that it patches at least one of the five bugs the jailbreak exploits, namely a flaw in the operating system's time zone settings. The beta update likely signals the end of using evasi0n to hack new or updated devices after the update is released to users, says Wang, who says he's still testing the patch to see which other vulnerabilities exploited by the jailbreak might no longer exist in the new operating system."
ajxoxo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:54 PM   #22
CmdrPuffin
macrumors newbie

I jailbreak so I can put more than 16 apps in a folder. NCSettings isn't bad either. I can't believe Apple thought it was a good idea to limit the number of apps per folder. I like to have one games folder, and one utilities folder and all of my apps on a single page. It looks ridiculous to have to have six folders for games spread out across several pages.
CmdrPuffin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:31 PM   #23
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Bro do you even lift?!

Ah u must be one of those jail break haters.

Be jealous
I'm really not clear on something...how could anyone generate the powerful emotion of hate over something so completely insignificant and trivial as jailbreaking.

I can't imagine why anyone would care one whit whether someone jaulbreaks or not.

Let's get a little perspective here, folks.

This is trivial ca-ca.

Just one man's humble opinion.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:12 PM   #24
Radio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm really not clear on something...how could anyone generate the powerful emotion of hate over something so completely insignificant and trivial as jailbreaking.

I can't imagine why anyone would care one whit whether someone jaulbreaks or not.

Let's get a little perspective here, folks.

This is trivial ca-ca.

Just one man's humble opinion.
Well said
Radio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:19 PM   #25
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
In this day and age, with all of the substantial improvements that Apple has made to iOS over the years, I don't really think that there are many excuses left for jailbreakers.
iGrip is offline   16 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion