Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
This probably sounds like a very stupid question..

this is the problem:

i'm using Direct Mail to compose an email to a newsletter group. i want all the people who are capable of reading the HTML format to see an HTML version, and all the others to see a text-only version.

Direct Mail has two windows, one for composing the HTML email, and one for the text-only part. Trouble is, when i paste text into the text-only bit, I get one continuous line, with no line breaks except where forced by the window (in other words, i can read all the text without scrolling sideways, but it looks UGLY)

I've had this problem before, with other direct mailing apps.

anyone know what i can do about it?

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: how do i make line breaks in a plain text email??

Originally posted by Macette
This probably sounds like a very stupid question..

this is the problem:

i'm using Direct Mail to compose an email to a newsletter group. i want all the people who are capable of reading the HTML format to see an HTML version, and all the others to see a text-only version.

Direct Mail has two windows, one for composing the HTML email, and one for the text-only part. Trouble is, when i paste text into the text-only bit, I get one continuous line, with no line breaks except where forced by the window (in other words, i can read all the text without scrolling sideways, but it looks UGLY)

I've had this problem before, with other direct mailing apps.

anyone know what i can do about it?

I don't know anything about Direct Mail but as far as free email clients are concerned I know that in Mail and Outlook you can do this with no problem. If you make the email in HTML in both of the mentioned programs it will send a plain text version as well with line breaks.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
thanks, but..

yes, i know... entourage does as well. the problem is that i want to use direct mail, because it deals with some of the the problems of mass mailouts (like not sending duplicates to people who've registered twice), as well as having this cool feature where you can retrieve email addresses from a mysql database, which is what i need, as i have a database online which people subscribe and unsubscribe to via my website.

so thanks, but i'm still looking for answers, if anybody's got them...

madamimadam

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2002
Re: thanks, but..

Originally posted by Macette
yes, i know... entourage does as well. the problem is that i want to use direct mail, because it deals with some of the the problems of mass mailouts (like not sending duplicates to people who've registered twice), as well as having this cool feature where you can retrieve email addresses from a mysql database, which is what i need, as i have a database online which people subscribe and unsubscribe to via my website.

so thanks, but i'm still looking for answers, if anybody's got them...

In that case, you are best just to write to the creators of the program directly. It is something specific to that program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.