Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:20 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Think Different' Campaign Creator Suggests Apple Needs to Step up its Advertising Game to Counter Samsung

Ken Segall, the creative director behind the Think Different campaign and author of Insanely Simple, a book about his experiences of that time, has suggested Apple is losing its way in its current advertising approaches, with Samsung taking full advantage.

In a blog entry on his website, Observatory, Segall argues that Apple has stuck to its product-based ads while Samsung has been investing big-time in people-based ads and creating greater buzz than Apple.
Quote:
Samsung has made remarkable inroads in a very short time, for two big reasons. First, it is spending a fortune to run its ads ... more than Apple, more than HP and Dell, and even more than Coca-Cola ... [Second] Samsung's message has proven to be tremendously potent. The company continues to bash away at Apple, delivering ads that are well produced, well written and seem to be striking a nerve. In contrast to Apple, which has been sticking to its product-based ads, Samsung has been scoring points with its people-based ads -- most of which play off some growing negative perceptions about Apple.
Segall had previously slammed Apple's short-lived Genius-based campaign which appeared to make its customers seem dumb. He notes now that Samsung invested in a two-minute Super Bowl ad, while Apple did nothing, and that Samsung created a new story for the Oscars while Apple ran a variation of its standard campaign approach.

Segall does, however, end on an optimistic note, expressing his faith that the "smart people" at Apple and TBWA\Chiat\Day won't "take this lying down" and will be working hard to rebound with their own advertising efforts.

(Photo by Doug Schneider)

Article Link: 'Think Different' Campaign Creator Suggests Apple Needs to Step up its Advertising Game to Counter Samsung
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:23 AM   #2
jan1024188
macrumors member

Fighting over toys...ehm...tablets.
jan1024188 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:26 AM   #3
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Yes, the "EX" Apple Ad guru likes one of Apple's competitors ads that slam them. Who would have thought?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Yamcha
macrumors 68000

Most of the Samsung ad's suck in my opinion. There was one or two that I liked, but that's about it.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:27 AM   #5
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamcha View Post
Most of the Samsung ad's suck in my opinion. There was one or two that I liked, but that's about it.

Well considering most people hate all of Apple's ads, that's good for Samsung.

Same old white background with condescending daddy voice over, with some un-clever line at the end. Hey maestro... turn it down I'm gonna take a cell call during a concerto.

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

He's right, Apple needs an aggressive ad campaign. I feel like they aren't adapting to change very quickly these days.
barkomatic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
iomar
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iomar
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
He's right, Apple needs an aggressive ad campaign. I feel like they aren't adapting to change very quickly these days.
You are right. I agree with him, something need to be done at Apple. They have the best product and customers who will stand in lines to get them. The recent commercials are not that great and they don't really have to many TV ads like they used. There ads used to be fun and creative now not so much.

http://www.bjjproducts.com
iomar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:19 AM   #8
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Sounds more like your issue is that they aren't changing designs etc enough to fit what you think they should be doing. Not that they aren't putting products, call outs and ads everywhere
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
So Apple should attack Samsung rather than advertise Apple products ?
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plutonius View Post
So Apple should attack Samsung rather than advertise Apple products ?
The approach of only emphasizing product function worked great for Apple when it was really the only game in town. Now, there is very worthy competition out there and that strategy isn't enough. Markets change, and so must ad campaigns. Apple is still quite influential, bit it's amazing how quickly that can change if people get stuck on an old way of doing something.
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:13 PM   #11
76ShovelHead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Seriously. These new adds aren't even trying. Their last real attempt was the "Get a Mac" campaign. I miss that one!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #12
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I've never understood why so many Apple enthusiast get so worked up over the advertising program. They brag about the "great Apple ads" and bash the competition no matter what. This thread is proof positive. A few hundred posts, over ten pages of Apple users arguing.

There's nothing like this going on in Android forums. The overall level of maturity is far higher.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:32 AM   #13
Stella
macrumors 603

He has good points, ads playing on Apple's weaknesses. I don't like negative marketing but Samsung think it works. Recently Apple's ads have been the same formula - showing apps on iPad etc. They need something different - its quite boring, think of something new. "Think Different" was great.

"I'm a Mac" played on Windows weaknesses, as viewed by Apple. It didn't attack the user base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefan65 View Post
Yes, the "EX" Apple Ad guru likes one of Apple's competitors ads that slam them. Who would have thought?
What does it matter that he's a former employee of Apple - do you just disregard his views because of this? If so thats pretty short sighted. You make it sound like he has some sort of grudge? People move to different jobs in their careers.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:35 AM   #14
nefan65
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
He has good points, ads playing on Apple's weaknesses. I don't like negative marketing but Samsung think it works. Recently Apple's ads have been the same formula - showing apps on iPad etc. They need something different - retire that formula, think of something new.

What does it matter that he's a former employee of Apple - do you just disregard his views because of this? If so thats pretty short sighted.
I don't disregard his views, but lets face it he has some resentment. Sorry you don't see that...who's short sighted?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:38 AM   #15
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
I don't disregard his views, but lets face it he has some resentment. Sorry you don't see that...who's short sighted?
And what makes you think he has some resentment? His blog entry certainly didn't read that way, in fact, he credits Apple in a couple areas.

Shortsighted - it came across in your post, thats all. If it wasn't the case, accept my apologies.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:43 AM   #16
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Like I asked, why do you think he has some resentment, give a quote or (short) explanation of why you think he feels this way?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:44 AM   #17
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

I don't agree with the idea that large corporations behave in line with Victorian virtues of chivalry and gallantry. It is a cut throat world out there - corporations will do whatever it takes to win. A "gentle company"; if ever there was one - will not last long in the wilds of the marketplace.

BTW, who remembers the "I am a Mac" campaign? If one can dish it out, one should be able to take it - AND counter attack.
mtneer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:14 PM   #18
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's got resentment, I'm not his psychologist, but I would say his blog post is incredibly self-serving. He's a consultant in this industry and this is one way he can attract more clients, by bashing his former (and very visible) previous employer. He wants to sell more of his book and book more of his consulting time. It's nothing more than him marketing himself.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #19
bandalay
macrumors member

Apple needs to compete…

…now that it (finally) has competition.

This seems to happen to them a lot. They're good at inventing new markets, but have a hard time defending them.

Samsung (and others?) have finally produced something not cringe worthy, and is doing what comes naturally to succeed. Boatloads of advertising, SPIFs and low low margins in order to force itself into markets it was ceding to Apple until recently. Hard to know if Samsung can sustain these costs, but in the short term they've done some serious damage.

Google's doing something else - it's Glasses, Chromebook and omnibus software offerings may have dubious use, but they seem forward looking, when many others (looking at you Microsoft, Blackberry, Nokia) are out there "me tooing" Apple as fast as they can. They're taking mindshare in terms of who is in control of "the future" that used to by Apple's domain.
bandalay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:16 AM   #20
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
More like Apple isn't doing what he thinks they should do so its bad.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:37 AM   #21
RoboCop001
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Well the current one isn't going to lol
RoboCop001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:59 AM   #22
petsounds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This guy helped create most of the iconic Apple campaigns. What has Chiat\Day done for Apple since his departure? Nothing worth talking about. Apple should take his advice seriously.
petsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:05 PM   #23
Arran
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsounds View Post
Apple should take his advice seriously.
Isn't that what Ken Segall's blog entry is all about? Pitching for Apple's business.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
karpich1
macrumors regular

They also need to innovate more (or at least update)

Don't get me wrong, right now I'm using an iPhone 5. It's nice and doesn't do anything poorly. It feels solid, the battery is great, and the UI is polished. But Apple need to do more of SOMETHING... either innovate, update, or at least advertise. Because right now Android is doing more of all 3.

I used a Samsung Galaxy S3 for a few months before I had to use the iPhone 5 due to work... and wow. Apple really needs to step up their game. The Android stuff has some great UI elements in there, some nice features, and all-in-all a great phone.

I'm NOT saying Androids are better/worse than iPhones since it's so subjective. And from a physical manufacturing standpoint I think the iPhone is still better (sturdier, better battery, etc). But Google has bridged the OS gap in some places and surpassed Apple in others. Add to that they're doing more advertising

For a while, Apple was THE smart phone out there. The early Android stuff didn't really compare: the G1 was OK but lacked. The original Nexus was neat but still not there. So Apple was king.

But now... Apple needs to do more. From a UI standpoint they haven't made many huge changes since the original iPhone. The interface is still the same... a touch-screen version of some other smart phone UI's from that era. Icons that you can't just place anywhere... no movement on the screen... other neat things the Android allows apps to do.

The only major UI elements Apple added since release were really Banner-alerts and folders. Sure they upped the hardware a few times... but Retina isn't that high higher DPI than the Galaxy S3. So besides sturdy construction the only real hardware advantage the iPhone has is battery life.

And sure, to some people that's enough. The like the simple UI for various reasons. Personally, my favorite iPhone advantage is the scroll-wheel UI piece in the iPhone vs the +/- in the Android. And even with the Galaxy I didn't have Live Wallpaper enabled often.

In summary: Apple needs to do "more." Either they need to do some great UI updates, add some cool feature / apps, or they need to advertise it more. Because so long as Google is doing more in all 3... they will eventually leave Apple in the dust.
karpich1 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #25
incoherent1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpich1 View Post
In summary: Apple needs to do "more." Either they need to do some great UI updates, add some cool feature / apps, or they need to advertise it more. Because so long as Google is doing more in all 3... they will eventually leave Apple in the dust.
Agreed -- Apple found a winning combination in iOS several years ago, and now they're reluctant to tinker with it, which is making it stale. They can (and need to be) a little more risky in future UI updates and features, and I totally agree with you there.

Segall's point seems almost counter to that, though: that Apple needs to focus even less on the products in their ads and more on celebrities and jokes, and I just don't see it. I know a lot of happy people with Samsung phones, but most of them agree the ads are stupid (not that I think Apple's latest are the best either).
incoherent1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion