Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I am thinking of turning my MBP into a server/general use machine. In my house we use two Apple TV, two iPads, two iPhones, one Macbook and one Smart TV running Plex/DLNA.

We also use iCloud for calendar, contacts and Photostream.

I would like to use a server to allow the MBP and the Macbook to back up via Time Machine on USB/Firewire drives attached to it and also allow for iTunes home sharing to the iDevices and Apple TV. Finally, I have a bunch of media that I would like to airplay or play directly via Plex. I would also like to use it and CCC to clone my HDD and several external HDD for back up purposes automatically. (I use online back ups and off site HDD swapping monthly)

My main use of the MBP is general data storage, Aperture photo saving and back up, video and picture editing and bill payments, home finance stuff.

I have a Nexus 7/GSIII for basic email, web surfing, etc on wifi or on the go.

So I really do not need a laptop with me, and can easily leave it on 24/7 on my desk without a concern in the world, in fact, when using it for photo management of video managment I generally work in my office anyway.

I cannot use the Macbook for this, it is my son's and he uses it for school, takes it places, games on it, etc.

So, would adding OSX ML server be a good idea in this case?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I am thinking of turning my MBP into a server/general use machine. In my house we use two Apple TV, two iPads, two iPhones, one Macbook and one Smart TV running Plex/DLNA.

We also use iCloud for calendar, contacts and Photostream.

I would like to use a server to allow the MBP and the Macbook to back up via Time Machine on USB/Firewire drives attached to it and also allow for iTunes home sharing to the iDevices and Apple TV. Finally, I have a bunch of media that I would like to airplay or play directly via Plex. I would also like to use it and CCC to clone my HDD and several external HDD for back up purposes automatically. (I use online back ups and off site HDD swapping monthly)

My main use of the MBP is general data storage, Aperture photo saving and back up, video and picture editing and bill payments, home finance stuff.

I have a Nexus 7/GSIII for basic email, web surfing, etc on wifi or on the go.

So I really do not need a laptop with me, and can easily leave it on 24/7 on my desk without a concern in the world, in fact, when using it for photo management of video managment I generally work in my office anyway.

I cannot use the Macbook for this, it is my son's and he uses it for school, takes it places, games on it, etc.

So, would adding OSX ML server be a good idea in this case?
If all you want to do is share an external drive then ML Server will work but isn't necessary. You can share the drive with the other users and they can use it for TM. You don't want to turn off the Mac or eject the drive.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
If all you want to do is share an external drive then ML Server will work but isn't necessary. You can share the drive with the other users and they can use it for TM. You don't want to turn off the Mac or eject the drive.

Oh great, that is really helpful, thanks. Actually I am considering buying an iMac or Mac Mini for desktop use anyway, so I may go the server route for other things but good to know its not needed yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.