Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:22 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Major League Baseball Triples Passbook Acceptance as Samsung Launches Look-alike Wallet App

GigaOM reports that Major League Baseball is expanding support for Apple's Passbook app, announcing that the digital tickets will be accepted at 13 stadiums this season, up from just four last season.

MLB was one of Apple's launch partners for Passbook in September, with mobile tickets accepted by the New York Mets, San Francisco Giants and Kansas City Royals. They are being joined this season by the Minnesota Twins, Baltimore Orioles, Milwaukee Brewers, Oakland A's, Pittsburgh Pirates, Detroit Tigers and Chicago Cubs. Three further teams are due to join, but have not yet been named.

Tickets can be purchased using the free AtBat app and then stored in Passbook.

Not to be outdone, Samsung today announced Samsung Wallet, an Android app which mirrors Passbook's functionality, right down to time- and location-based push notifications. The app is currently a developer-only beta, with the public version launching soon. The Verge reports that Samsung has also signed a deal with MLB, as well as Walgreens, Belly, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com and Lufthansa for the app's launch.
Quote:
The company showed off a few features of the new app during its developer keynote, and it's quite clear that Samsung took its design inspiration for Wallet from Apple's Passbook (even down to the icon that Samsung used).
Interestingly, the app will not support near field communications (NFC) payment technology for the time being, despite Samsung's existing partnership with Visa's PayWave service. Samsung says that retailers have so far been reluctant to invest in the additional infrastructure to support NFC payments, making NFC support for Wallet a lower-priority feature.

Article Link: Major League Baseball Triples Passbook Acceptance as Samsung Launches Look-alike Wallet App
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Oh Samsung, how very typical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung_apple.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	399627  
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:24 AM   #3
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Samsung never copies!

/sarcasm
Tiger8 is offline   54 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:26 AM   #4
KPOM
macrumors G3

Can't they at least attempt something original, like a different icon? I'm also surprised they didn't incorporate NFC. I guess its primary usage is still sharing racy videos with your SO.
KPOM is offline   40 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Amacfa
macrumors 6502

Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.
Amacfa is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amacfa View Post
Samsung does this in every product field: TV's, Appliances, Cellphones - and steal business away from American companies. Sad.
Sad but your justice let them doing so. So it means the US support them.
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #7
i.mac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Exactly. "Buy American", at least American ideas and have profits stay home in the USA.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:52 PM   #8
tdream
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Steals business? How can you steal business if consumers have choice? You must love unions and trade restrictions. Oh damn them for making a better product or equivalent one at cheaper price. We need laws passed to prop up our inferior unsustainable business model.

This is akin to dey turk or jerbs. DEY TURK ORRR JERRRRBBS!!!!
Dey cupped r stuf. DEY CUPPED RRRR STUFFFFFFFFF!!!!!

Go pray to baby jesus and ask for help since the best thing you do is whine
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:45 AM   #9
jamesnajera
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Can't they at least attempt something original, like a different icon? I'm also surprised they didn't incorporate NFC. I guess its primary usage is still sharing racy videos with your SO.
They didn't implement NFC, because Apple does not use NFC. How does Samsung copy Apple when Apple has not done it?

:P
jamesnajera is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
BiigBiscuit
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
Because Apple hasn't incorporated NFC yet (;
BiigBiscuit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

It's so ironic that on one hand they will shout until they're hoarse spouting "We don't copy Apple" and then this on the other.

I mean, come on Samsung, at least make it not completely and absolutely blatantly obvious!
Jsameds is offline   54 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:29 AM   #12
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Apps for Passbook in the UK store - still five. No new ones launched since Starbucks.

Of those five two are American airlines with no significant UK presence.
The Phazer is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:30 AM   #13
Rogifan
macrumors G3

In before someone says Apple didn't invent the digital wallet.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:00 AM   #14
apple_iBoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phazer View Post
Apps for Passbook in the UK store - still five. No new ones launched since Starbucks.

I go to a ton of live music events. Almost every vendor I've bought tickets from has given me the option of Passbook tickets. The tix are sent as links in email and pop open in Passbook.
apple_iBoy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:58 AM   #15
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:

There are many others. They just don't show up in the list for some reason.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 02:23 PM   #16
designaholic
macrumors regular

Quote:

Obviously it's down to the devs to build these for their clients. I looked into it, it's fairly easy to do using Apple's Passbook API. However, get this - each client I would like to build Passbook integration for needs their own Apple Developer account. If a company was to churn these out for lots of clients, it would be a logistical nightmare for something so mundane. This type of hurdle is surely stifling wider adoption for the smaller businesses.

For my money we need an open API with cross-platform support, i.e, an HTML5 solution. Proprietary things, such as apps, work (for now) as there is a real reason to jump through hoops... revenue and exposure from App store eco-systems, but this type of thing really needs to be open.

Regarding the article, I laughed when I read it. Samsung just have no shame. Innovate you prideless idiots!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 05:44 PM   #17
dBeats
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I guess you haven't been the Heathrow in a while...pretty big AA presence there. They're also codeshare partner with BA, so again ????

I think Samsung copying passbook shows that Apple's idea has legs. I use it for Starbucks, AA, Sixt (rental cars in Europe), and even my local barber has a website to setup appointments and they allow me to add it to passbook. There is more than just "App-based" passbook. This passbook was sent directly from a website. In this case it was an appointment confirmation, not a payment system, per se, but it was pretty slick. More people should do this!
dBeats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:46 AM   #18
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Very interesting that Samsung is bringing out their own instead of using Google Wallet. Wonder what Google thinks of that?

I wonder when the sTunes app, the sTunes Store, the sApp Store, and sOS are going to be released? Probably either shortly before or after the start of Samsung's new retail store strategy is outed.
UnfetteredMind is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:20 PM   #19
celavato
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger8 View Post
Samsung never copies!
/sarcasm
Well, Samsung definitely didn't copy Forstall's slick presentation that's for sure -- lots of "ums" in that demo and a shadow on the screen. Maybe it's harder to present an app in a professional manner than copy it?
celavato is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:11 PM   #20
Andreu
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoLawyer View Post
Well, Samsung definitely didn't copy Forstall's slick presentation that's for sure -- lots of "ums" in that demo and a shadow on the screen. Maybe it's harder to present an app in a professional manner than copy it?
Well let's face it.. How can anyone present something professionally when they didn't build it?
Samsung used to be leader, when they made the best LCD panels when everyone else is using CRT.
Now, they are The Leader in copying others - Apple.
shameless..
Andreu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:25 AM   #21
KdParker
macrumors 68040

Why would samsung need to copy that stale/boring iOS?

/sarcasm
KdParker is offline   49 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:28 AM   #22
samcraig
macrumors G5

Not surprising that Samsung would copy the model if its one that is gaining adoption in the industry. I still question the actual adoption rate of Apple's passbook anyway - but that's another matter.

But yes- Samsung is clearly copying and putting their own spin on Apple's passbook.
samcraig is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:29 AM   #23
XtraSmiley
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Not surprising that Samsung would copy the model if its one that is gaining adoption in the industry. I still question the actual adoption rate of Apple's passbook anyway - but that's another matter.

But yes- Samsung is clearly copying and putting their own spin on Apple's passbook.
For sure. When is Apple going to get on the ball and actually do something with PB anyway?
XtraSmiley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

I shouldn't be surprised anymore.

When Apple copies something, it's alright. When anyone else copies from Apple, it's basically a sin.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:19 PM   #25
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtraSmiley View Post
For sure. When is Apple going to get on the ball and actually do something with PB anyway?
This is the interesting part... the part the Samsung copied was Apple decision to include a KeyRing-like app on it's phones (the Key ring is not new, it's the decision to include it with the phone). It's Samsung typical "fast-follower" model, which is frowned upon in North America, but well accepted, acknowledged and even envied in Asia.

As mention above, what will Apple do with it? How will it monetize, bring it to market, and evolve a business model around it. This can take different initial directions... passes, payments, coupons, etc. And also the go to market strategy is part of solution (by creating new relationships, or partnership with existing services like credit card companies).

Samsung, today, can develop it's own direction and model, but hasn't yet (arguably, neither has Apple)... although it seems like by naming it "Wallet" it's taking a mobile payment direction, but still haven't indicated how it bring it to market.

If the past is an indicator, Samsung will take a "fast-follower" approach, and wait for someone (Google/Apple) to lead the way or even wait for someone to *prove* (not just formulate) a successful model first.

paul4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion