Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Cricket/Leap Wireless Reports iPhone Sales Weaker Than Expected

Six months after it started carrying the iPhone, U.S. regional prepaid carrier Cricket reports that it will only purchase half of its first-year commitment of iPhones by June 2013, reports BGR.

Back in June 2012, Cricket started carrying the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S after committing to buy at least $900 million worth of iPhones from Apple over the life of its deal with Apple. It got the iPhone 5 a week after it launched on the major U.S. carriers.

Quote:
The carrier revealed that it is on pace to purchase only half of its first-year commitment from Apple through June 2013. The information in the filing contradicts earlier statements made by the company's chief financial officers Jerry Elliot. The executive previously said that "sales of Apple devices were pretty good in the fourth quarter" and the carrier wasn't concerned about meeting its commitment with Apple.
Cricket is generally considered one of roughly half a dozen "super-regional" carriers in the United States, with more than 5 million customers. The carrier offers a nationwide network through roaming agreements and its prepaid model offers simple pricing with no activation fees or overage charges.

Article Link: Cricket/Leap Wireless Reports iPhone Sales Weaker Than Expected
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

Does their service suck?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:19 AM   #3
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Does their service suck?
yes.
M-O is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:16 AM   #4
albusseverus
macrumors 6502a

What's interesting here… (and it's not Samsung can't outsell the superseded iPhone 4S, much less the 5, see i can play that game too)

…is that one exec says one thing, the next exec says another.

Since they're getting paid more than all the contributors to this thread combined, let's pretend they're not stupid. The question becomes, "What is Cricket/Leap up to with these statements?"

Does pretending iPhone isn't selling well advantage Cricket/Leap in some way?
  • Does it advantage them in dealing with Apple? Does it push them into a 'we're selling less, so we have to buy less/pay less' clause in the contract?
  • Is it a bargaining position? 'Give us a better deal or we'll talk down your product and maybe your share price.'
  • Does it get them a better deal with Samsung, if they talk down the competition?
Who knows what's going on? We don't get to see the contracts. What's clear, is that Cricket/Leap are up to something. Keep the focus on the Exec manipulation of the facts.
albusseverus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:22 AM   #5
ctcampbell
macrumors member

So carrier commits to a number, and half way through the year will have purchased half of that number. How is this news?

Edit: Ah, half of their commitment for the year to date, not calendar year.

Last edited by ctcampbell; Feb 28, 2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Clarity.
ctcampbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Junito
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSVTguy View Post
Does their service suck?
Service is not bad, the biggest hurdle is dishing $649 for the phone. Many Americans find it a bitter pill to swallow.
Junito is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:42 PM   #7
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

I like my iPhone 5...BUT. It is starting to feel stale. Meanwhile, Samsung keeps pushing the envelope with the Galaxy series (Note, S3)....the Lumia's are somewhat interesting, and I'm also curious to check out what the new Blackberry has to offer. I'm not surprised by this type of news, there is a lot of great competition out there now, and we as consumers (not fanboys) all benefit.

EDIT: and yes, who the F is cricket?

Last edited by GuitarDTO; Feb 27, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
GuitarDTO is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:56 PM   #8
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
I like my iPhone 5...BUT. It is starting to feel stale. Meanwhile, Samsung keeps pushing the envelope with the Galaxy series (Note, S3)....the Lumia's are somewhat interesting, and I'm also curious to check out what the new Blackberry has to offer. I'm not surprised by this type of news, there is a lot of great competition out there now, and we as consumers (not fanboys) all benefit.

Wow, what an original and helpful comment. Totally not just stirring the pot with exactly the same sentiments that get repeated a hundred times in every thread that mentions the iPhone. Well done sir.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:21 PM   #9
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
Wow, what an original and helpful comment. Totally not just stirring the pot with exactly the same sentiments that get repeated a hundred times in every thread that mentions the iPhone. Well done sir.
This whole thread being on the front page has no other point than to stir the pot....so don't pretend like you came in here with your panties not already in a bunch. My comments aren't any worse than anyone else's, and no comments on this topic are going to help anyone, so get over yourself bro. I stand by my comments.
GuitarDTO is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:36 PM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
This whole thread being on the front page has no other point than to stir the pot....so don't pretend like you came in here with your panties not already in a bunch. My comments aren't any worse than anyone else's, and no comments on this topic are going to help anyone, so get over yourself bro. I stand by my comments.
Geez, nice response to a compliment, "bro."
QCassidy352 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:45 PM   #11
mig0
macrumors newbie

I would've bought an iphone to use on cricket but for 1 very big problem. The iphone from cricket is not unlocked for domestic use with AT&T or Tmobile, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to use the phone on Sprint or Verizon either. That defeats the entire purpose of buying an unlocked phone. At least buying an unlocked sprint or verizon phone, it can still be used on AT&T/Tmobile/etc. even if the LTE bands are different and not supported.
mig0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:51 PM   #12
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
Geez, nice response to a compliment, "bro."
Apologies if I have totally misread your comment. It doesn't read like a compliment.
GuitarDTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:56 PM   #13
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Apple has sold a record number of iPhone 5. This is more of a reflection of Cricket than the iPhone 5.
3N16MA is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:06 PM   #14
Essenar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3N16MA View Post
Apple has sold a record number of iPhone 5. This is more of a reflection of Cricket than the iPhone 5.
No, the issue is that Apple isn't subsidizing the pricing with Cricket because it's a no contract commitment.

What would you rather do, pay $600 for an iPhone 5 followed by $55 a month for unlimited text, minutes and data on a CDMA 3G network (1.5Mb/s if you're LUCKY) or $650 for an iPhone 5 and pop in a Walmart based T-Mobile SIM card and get 100 minutes, unlimited text messages and 5GB of 4G data at HSPA+ speeds mostly throughout the nation?

It's an easy choice to make. It's the same reason Verizon needed LTE on the iPhone 5 and they're Big Red, leaders of marketshare for users in the United States.
Essenar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:07 PM   #15
noiseordinance
macrumors regular

Wait... so a GHETTO cellular company is having a harder time selling a luxury phone? Strange!
noiseordinance is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseordinance View Post
Wait... so a GHETTO cellular company is having a harder time selling a luxury phone? Strange!
Apple is doomed.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:16 PM   #17
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Response to PMs: Verizon. California.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:05 AM   #18
Dustman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar View Post
No, the issue is that Apple isn't subsidizing the pricing with Cricket because it's a no contract commitment.

What would you rather do, pay $600 for an iPhone 5 followed by $55 a month for unlimited text, minutes and data on a CDMA 3G network (1.5Mb/s if you're LUCKY) or $650 for an iPhone 5 and pop in a Walmart based T-Mobile SIM card and get 100 minutes, unlimited text messages and 5GB of 4G data at HSPA+ speeds mostly throughout the nation?

It's an easy choice to make. It's the same reason Verizon needed LTE on the iPhone 5 and they're Big Red, leaders of marketshare for users in the United States.
except you wouldnt be getting t-mobile's hspa+ 4g. you'd be getting gsm 2g @ 10kbps.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:51 AM   #19
peteo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essenar View Post

Why would'nt you walk into a walmart and get strait talk for your iPhone. $45 a month unlimited talk,text, internet. It runs on at&t so you dont even need an unlocked iPhone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairguru22 View Post
Cricket agrees to sell $900 million in iPhones in 3 years, assuming it costs them $200/phone, that's 4.5 million iPhones. They only have about 6.5 million customers. So they want 70% of their customers to buy an iPhone???
$200 a phone? more like 450-600. apple does not give subsidies to the carriers.
peteo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:23 PM   #20
NoCleverSNForMe
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
Why would'nt you walk into a walmart and get strait talk for your iPhone. $45 a month unlimited talk,text, internet. It runs on at&t so you dont even need an unlocked iPhone.

----------

$200 a phone? more like 450-600. apple does not give subsidies to the carriers.
Two things:

1) He/she is right. It is $449, 549, and 649.

2) I bought a 649 iPhone 5 from Wal Mart for Straight Talk, and it runs on Verizon. What you may be thinking of is the "Bring your own Phone" program, which runs on AT&T and T-Mobile. The one inside Wal-Marts are running Verizon, which I think is better for my area.
NoCleverSNForMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:25 PM   #21
Giuly
Banned

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
the Lumia's are somewhat interesting
I hate to say this about a Windows product, but yup.

Quote:
Give the proles filet mignon and they'll demand Burger King. This is the crowd that's happy with $49 Android phones running Froyo.
If you had filet mignons over the last four weeks every day, no, you won't demand a Whooper, because you can't even look at beef anymore. But a bucket of hot wings. With coleslaw. And mashed potatoes with gravy. And corn on the cob. And biscuits. And a physician.
Either that, or start serving champagne and caviar.

Those Froyo devices for $49 are rather a cup from the local soup kitchen than a Whopper, though. 50MB of application data and you can't move preinstalled apps or their data to the SD, so you end up constantly resetting app data, and if you fail to do that right on time, you'll have to reset the whole phone because it won't boot anymore. They're serious crap.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 27, 2013 at 07:35 PM.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:43 PM   #22
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Fanboys benefit too whether they like to admit it or not. When Apple is driven to innovate great things happen. When Apple is on top of the world they become stale. The iDevice craze is just Macintosh 2.0. Apple stopped innovating then, fell down a slope, then exploding with great new products.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:51 PM   #23
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-John-o View Post
Fanboys benefit too whether they like to admit it or not. When Apple is driven to innovate great things happen. When Apple is on top of the world they become stale. The iDevice craze is just Macintosh 2.0. Apple stopped innovating then, fell down a slope, then exploding with great new products.
Agreed, although in this case I'm not sure how much more innovation there is to be had with phones, other than just expanding on consumers personal preferences? Apple is no doubt working hard on coming out with the next "iPhone" type disruption in other industries, but those types of shifts don't happen too often. I think Apple will continue to sell phones well, but the competition will also do well and will take market share away from Apple, but they'll still always have a nice chunk of the market.

I'm more curious to know what will happen when phones have the power of running full blown PC/Mac applications and what the setup/interface to do that will be. Imagine all your professional type apps on your mobile device with you at all times. I believe that's when we'll see larger innovations again in the mobile market, when the computing power gets to that point. Could be sooner rather than later but who knows.
GuitarDTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:09 AM   #24
el-John-o
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Agreed, although in this case I'm not sure how much more innovation there is to be had with phones, other than just expanding on consumers personal preferences? Apple is no doubt working hard on coming out with the next "iPhone" type disruption in other industries, but those types of shifts don't happen too often. I think Apple will continue to sell phones well, but the competition will also do well and will take market share away from Apple, but they'll still always have a nice chunk of the market.

I'm more curious to know what will happen when phones have the power of running full blown PC/Mac applications and what the setup/interface to do that will be. Imagine all your professional type apps on your mobile device with you at all times. I believe that's when we'll see larger innovations again in the mobile market, when the computing power gets to that point. Could be sooner rather than later but who knows.
Well that's where innovation comes in. If it was an established technology and a universally desired feature, it becomes 'competing', like adding LTE. Like Henry Ford said and Steve Jobs loved to quote; "If I asked my customers what they wanted, they'd tell me 'a faster horse!'". What made/makes Apple great, is innovating in ways that are incredibly simple and make perfect sense, yet nobody else was doing or even thinking about. A great example IS the iPhone. Others accepted conventional technology that on screen keyboards and anything other than a plastic keyboard doesn't work. Apple completely re-wrote the smartphone genre, but in actuality they didn't do that much, they just made some simple innovations. Ones most in the technology world would list the limitations of before even thinking about developing, whereas Apple was seeking to conquer the limitations.

I'm a consumer, not an engineer. It's not my job to know what the next big thing is, it's the engineers at Apple, Samsung, Google, HTC, etc., to show me what it is and compete for my money!

I mean sure the iPhone could have NFC or a faster CPU or curved glass or any number of features. But that's just features, that's just keeping up with the joneses. When I say I want to see innovation at Apple (or Samsung, or whoever! I don't think ANYONE is really doing it right now), I mean brand new things, not stuff we've been talking about for 5 years.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:10 AM   #25
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by el-John-o View Post
Well that's where innovation comes in. If it was an established technology and a universally desired feature, it becomes 'competing', like adding LTE. Like Henry Ford said and Steve Jobs loved to quote; "If I asked my customers what they wanted, they'd tell me 'a faster horse!'". What made/makes Apple great, is innovating in ways that are incredibly simple and make perfect sense, yet nobody else was doing or even thinking about. A great example IS the iPhone. Others accepted conventional technology that on screen keyboards and anything other than a plastic keyboard doesn't work. Apple completely re-wrote the smartphone genre, but in actuality they didn't do that much, they just made some simple innovations. Ones most in the technology world would list the limitations of before even thinking about developing, whereas Apple was seeking to conquer the limitations.

I'm a consumer, not an engineer. It's not my job to know what the next big thing is, it's the engineers at Apple, Samsung, Google, HTC, etc., to show me what it is and compete for my money!

I mean sure the iPhone could have NFC or a faster CPU or curved glass or any number of features. But that's just features, that's just keeping up with the joneses. When I say I want to see innovation at Apple (or Samsung, or whoever! I don't think ANYONE is really doing it right now), I mean brand new things, not stuff we've been talking about for 5 years.
The thing is Samsung isn't innovating. All they are doing is up'ing hardware specs and increasing screen size.

I think Apple is already on to the next big thing which is the 'personal communication device'...in that iWatch which will most likely tie in with their rest of their devices and eco system.
Ryth is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion