Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California
So I tried my luck by sending AT&T a request to unlock my iPhone 5. Yes, it's on contract, but I have had them unlock two on contract iPhone 4's. A few hours later, I receive an email saying that it can't be completed because my IMEI was reported as stolen. It's not blacklisted though as it works just fine.

I've had my iPhone 5 in my hands since launch day, bought from AT&T and I don't ever recall losing it or anyone else having it.

Any way around this? I've heard that once it's reported it can't be cleared.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
you can ask them if they would be kind enough to maybe reach out for the original owner and see if he/she would be willing to speak with you regarding the matter, but i highly doubt that will happen.

my money is that youre out of luck.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Makes no sense as if it was reported stolen the imei would have been blocked. Just a mistake. Why didn't you bother to call them, that's the first thing I would have done.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California
Calling them is absolutely not my cup of tea. The past three times I've called, they didn't help at all and ended up holding longer than 50 minutes once.

And now it's too late as they've closed for the night.

albertxp06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
California
Took over an hour and three reps, but they finally confirmed it was a mistake. Not exactly my idea of a good time, but at least it was resolved.

///M Powah

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
Hawaii, US
So I tried my luck by sending AT&T a request to unlock my iPhone 5. Yes, it's on contract, but I have had them unlock two on contract iPhone 4's. A few hours later, I receive an email saying that it can't be completed because my IMEI was reported as stolen. It's not blacklisted though as it works just fine.

I've had my iPhone 5 in my hands since launch day, bought from AT&T and I don't ever recall losing it or anyone else having it.

Any way around this? I've heard that once it's reported it can't be cleared.

Go to the nearest AT&T store and talk with them then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.