Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
Hello there! I'm a a complete noob when it comes to Apple computers (if I end up buying rMBP it would be my first one), so I figured I could use some help. After a few weeks of researching I'm pretty much convinced I am interested in rMBP 13", but correct me if I'm wrong and it's not good enough for what I want to do.

The main reason why I'm considering rMBP in the first place is that I'm still at Uni and I really need a light machine to carry around with me. Yet, I wouldn't want any ultrabook type of thing, because I fear that in the long run it would simply prove to be a waste of money, somehow (even the ones with not so impressive specs are not that cheap)?

I surely need a portable machine, but I'd need to do some photo editing on it as well (for now it would be my main machine, but not forever, + another reason not to consider ultrabooks, at least I guess?).
By photo editing I mean high res photos, mainly RAWs, obviously Photoshop, Lightroom.
I reckon 8 gb RAM will suit me quite okay as I don't do any video editing?

However, my main question is what processor configuration should I choose for best price/speed compromise? I was thinking about getting the basic 256 SSD, i5 2.6 ghz, as from what I heard the power difference is not that significant in comparison to i7, as they are both dual core, but I can't seem to find any benchmarks of the early 2013 i7, are there any?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Just buy the base and call it a day.

If you can afford it the 15" might be a better bet longer term with the option of more RAM.

bdj33ranch

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
If you go to the current MacWorld dot com website and scroll to the bottom there is a review that shows comparisons.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
If you can, go to a Best Buy or Apple store and look at the same web page on both the 13" and 15" at the same time. You may be surprised at the decreased viewable area on the 13" because of the lower pixel count plus smaller size.

That was what made me go for the 15". Size and weight aren't that different and the processor, RAM, and video specs are all better (or more upgradable) on the 15".

fruu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2013
I'm very late to reply, but just wanted to clear some things out. I decided in favour of 13" from early 2013, 2.6" processor. First thing is I'd love to even consider 15", however I'm not based in the US and the difference in price is more significant for me (it's about 1100 euros for the model I'd consider in 15"; I think 16 RAM is a must in 15" because it is supposed to be a base machine, not portable, but the price: God show some mercy haha).

For now I'm quite happy with my decision (can't say much yet, the laptop came on Friday). If sth changes I hope I will be able to sell my retina for a decent price and maybe exchange it for sth better, maybe after Apple announces another generation of 13"R. Thank you all for your help! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.