Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Not much to add to the title really.

My iPad 4 that I bought in December was on a mic stand adapter and the whole thing fell down, the iPad itself face down. This resulted in a nasty hairline crack that spread across 2/3 of the screen.

I promptly went to the nearest Apple store, and talked to one of the guys with the headsets who took an appointment to the Genius Bar for me 30 minutes later.

After explaining what happened, I was out of the store with a new unit (most probably refurbished) in under 5 minutes. No fee whatsoever, even with no Apple Care plan. :D

Apple just made me a believer. :apple:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It is nice they did that, however they certainly are under no obligation to do so. Just something to keep in mind if this ever happens again. ;)

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
be honest...you left out the part about you being a young attractive girl...and the genius being a geek with raging hormones...

id love to see some middle aged average joe walk in and try that one...

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
be honest...you left out the part about you being a young attractive girl...and the genius being a geek with raging hormones...

I'm a 30 something male. :confused: But I do have a lot of charm. ;)

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
At first I read this as Apple Store replaced my iPad 4 with a cracked screen for free.

As in they gave you one with a cracked screen... and you were happy it was free

:p:rolleyes::apple:

kzhlin

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2012
Los Angeles
Apple gave you a refurb?

If you break an iPad (with AppleCare) and bring it to the Apple store for an accidental damage replacement, do they give you a new one?

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
Apple gave you a refurb?

If you break an iPad (with AppleCare) and bring it to the Apple store for an accidental damage replacement, do they give you a new one?

I'm not sure it's a refurb, I'm just guessing. It looks brand new.

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
I think for the most part if you get a replacement from an apple store it is a referb. I could be wrong about that though.

As to the topic at hand, that is so awesome that they replaced it. There is no worse (3rd world problem) feeling than when you see your I device head down to the floor and there is nothing you can do about it.

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
Apple gave you a refurb?

I was told, by Apple, that they give you a 'remanufactured' one. Not refurbished. Don't ask me what the differences are :confused:

This was the case for iPad. Not sure of other Apple products.

novono

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 10, 2012
I was told, by Apple, that they give you a 'remanufactured' one. Not refurbished. Don't ask me what the differences are :confused:

This was the case for iPad. Not sure of other Apple products.

Remanufactured is more thorough. Mine came in a brown box.

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Lol @ all of you saying good things about Apple because the OP got lucky. I will never forget about the time that my iPhone's CPU died and, within warranty, they didn't accept to do anything with it because there were scratches on the back. But, for €217, we'll get you a new one they said. Just awesome.

AbyssImpact

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2010

Agreed. Op probably brought his young and attractive girl with him as his sidekick.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
They replaced my iPod touch that i dropped in my driveway & shattered the screen for free too! I am assuming it was a refurb, but since Apple replaces the housing & battery for new ones on all refurbs, there isnt much difference between that & new. I love Apple's customer service.

I am also 30 something male, but did bring my supercute 4 year old son with me for brownie points.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
It is nice they did that, however they certainly are under no obligation to do so. Just something to keep in mind if this ever happens again. ;)

I had it happen once also. Single hairline crack didn't break the surface, still under warranty. I think the catch was that I wasn't a jackass when I walked in. I didn't scream and throw a fit about having a wait cause I came without an appointment. I admitted it was dropped and was fully prepared to pay.

I was also told that it was a one time exception and when there was a second damage incident on that unit they kept their word and I paid.

stjric

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
UK
Just tried it - no such luck

Today I got "attacked" by a wasp while using my ipad 4 in the garden. Without thinking I waved my arms and stupidly let go of my ipad throwing it to the concrete ground. I got a chip to the corner of the screen.

Took it into local apple store and they wouldn't do anything other than say that they could do a replacement for £199.

Wish I had your luck!

Any advice on "magic words" you can tell the apple store to get them to replace for free? (No apple care on this one.)

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Not much to add to the title really.

My iPad 4 that I bought in December was on a mic stand adapter and the whole thing fell down, the iPad itself face down. This resulted in a nasty hairline crack that spread across 2/3 of the screen.

Wild guess -- single crack, no dents or shatters. right?

Boss has had a couple of those swaps on various iPads and iPhones that our crew have broken. Seems that Apple does give them a little leeway when it is that slight. Probably only one time on any item (and it's replacements)

----------

I'm not sure it's a refurb, I'm just guessing. It looks brand new.

Under Apple's definitions it's not a refurb.

They have three classes of items. New, remanufactured and refurbs.

New: everything just came hot off a factory line. Assembled and iOS installed. Random units QA tested. Most go into retail boxes with the appropriate accessories but a small cut could go into service boxes.

Remanufactured: Some things like the battery, display and enclosure came hot off the line. Some of the internal parts came off the line, some came out of dead swap units after extensive testing. retest to make sure there is no damage. install the OS and send it for service parts. Also referred to as 'like new'

Refurbs: Battery, display and enclosure are new. Everything else came out of a customer returned unit (so basically they take the return, pop off the outside, pop the guts into a new outside and add a fresh battery. Wipe and reinstall the OS. then test it to make sure they didn't break anything in the transfer). Package with appropriate accessories and send to online store for discounted sale.

Now go to a place like a carrier store and if you get a refurb you are getting an honest to goodness refurb. Might not have even been restored or even had the finger prints wiped off

----------

Any advice on "magic words" you can tell the apple store to get them to replace for free? (No apple care on this one.)

There are none. Trying to game the system generally just pisses them off even more.

Number one worse thing you can do is start the whole "do you know who I am, do you know how much I have bought it, I'm never buying anything from Apple again" type stuff. Stores are generally out of patience with that stuff and in a case where you are in the wrong like physical damage they won't budge. I've seen customers threaten to call the cops and have managers arrested, sue the company etc. One manager told the guy that now that he had invoked a lawsuit they could do nothing until the lawyers hashed it out. And he was banned from the store until Apple's lawyers said they had to let him come in, regardless of the reason for his visit. If he tried to come back before the lawyers called, he would be dragged out as a trespasser.

Go in expecting to pay with no fuss and if they do you a large, say thank you.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
Same for me

Apple did the same for me with an iPod Touch!

It was just over a year old & out of warranty (not that the warranty would've covered it anyway)

I dropped & shattered the screen, took it to the store, they said normally it costs $150, but they would replace it for free this time.

I am a man in my 30s but i did have my super cute 4 year old son along with me, he might have been my lucky charm. :)

kwajkat

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Lucky you, I wasn't as lucky. Dropped my three months after getting it. I was nice and polite but to no avail. I was told that if I just had a hairline crack they could replace it but mine had what appeared to them to be an impact point when my thumb was pressing tight trying to hang on. FYI I still think the screen was defective because my ipad was in a case fell 1-1/2 feet face up onto a bed. Try as I may I could not get them to swap it out, I even pleaded the disabled vet on limited income as well as teaching seniors about tablets without luck. Was hoping they would take pity on me but.....SIGH!!!

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
I think genius's can replace any item for any reason including damage it is up to them and their managers. IE:they have the ability to do so but don't have to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.