Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An app that hides the standard apps on the iPhone like Stocks or Newsstand has evaded Apple's App Store approval process.

'HiddenApps', a free download on the App Store, lets users hide Apple's stock applications, disable iAds, and access the hidden Field Test mode, according to iDownloadBlog. It is likely that the app will be removed from the App Store very quickly, as other apps that have broken App Store rules have disappeared quite quickly in the past.

hideapps.jpg
HiddenApps is available for all non-jailbroken iOS devices.

iTunes release notes cleverly bill it as "a simple and easy app that shows you tips and tricks about your iDevice," but the developer, of course, mentions at his web site the iAd and app hiding features.

Hiding stock apps normally requires a jailbroken device, so this program should come in handy for all non-jailbroken people other there.

Better hurry up, though, and download HiddenApps while you can because I'd bet my shirt that it won't be available on the App Store for much time.
HiddenApps is a free download from the App Store, while AppAdvice has an explanation of how to actually use the app. [Direct Link]

Update: Apple has removed HiddenApps from the App Store.

Article Link: 'HiddenApps' Hides Stock Apps, iAds and More on Non-Jailbroken iOS Devices [Update: Removed]

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Even though my 5 and iPad are JB'en, I downloaded this baby [immediately] just in case. Thanks for the heads up MR!

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Man the app store reviewers have gotten slack. I remember back in the day when I would submit an app, it would get rejected because of crazy stuff like "if a user spins a spinner on a certain screen and clicks back while the spinner is still spinning, the application crashes."

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
HOW do these pass the app store "evaluators"? LOL, the title alone is a dead give away.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Man the app store reviewers have gotten slack. I remember back in the day when I would submit an app, it would get rejected because of crazy stuff like "if a user spins a spinner on a certain screen and clicks back while the spinner is still spinning, the application crashes."

I guess for every app you submitted in the past, there are now thousands submitting apps...

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
I put all the apps I don't like in a folder then move it to a page of its own and hope that I never scroll right more than I usually would

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
Apps come back after rebooting is pretty annoying. Better off creating a junk folder.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
When the phone is restarted the apps go back to their former place, so it's rather pointless. Hiding iAds is nice though.

Edit: iAds come back after restart as well.

Last edited:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I put all the apps I don't like in a folder then move it to a page of its own and hope that I never scroll right more than I usually would

Newstand is basically considered a folder so you can dump that inside another folder.

Jailbreak and download NoNewsIsGoodNews to get rid of that or SBsettings to get rid of everything else you don't want.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Sweet app! This will join the collection of my dozen or so "banned" from the App Store apps I've collected over the years. :cool:

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Realistically, it is easier to jailbreak than go through the process of individually removing all the apps you don't want.

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
Apple approved it

Why is everyone saying "hurry and download it before Apple removes it"? Apple approved it. That's how it got added to the store in the first place.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Why

good idea - but why are they coming back afte re-booting? That sort of makes it useless.
For all tbhos saying it doesn't work - boot the application again, I had the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.