Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I have a late 2009 27" iMac that supports video input via the mini display port. I just got a Windows 8 computer that I have hooked up via HDMI to another monitor. I bought a Displayport to Minidisplayport cable and was able to hook up my Windows 8 computer to my iMac and use it as a secondary display. This works great! As soon as I plug in the cable, my iMac goes into Target Display mode and I see the Windows 8 desktop on my iMac and my Windows display.

However, I do not have an Apple keyboard hooked up to my iMac (I'm using a Logitech Dinovo Mac keyboard) so I can't seem to get Command + F2 to work to switch in and out of Target Display mode. After doing some searching, I did not find a solution, so I'm asking here...

1) Is there a way to get Command + F2 to work on my Logitech keyboard to enable/disable Target Display mode? I tried adding the Function key: Command + Function + F2 but that did not work. As I understand it, the Apple keyboards send a special command when doing Command + F2 for Target Display mode. My question is this: is there a way to duplicate this command with another keystroke combo on my Logitech keyboard, or a way to set up a macro or script?

2) Alternatively, is there a way for me to disable the Displayport output on my Windows computer without unhooking the cable? I tried setting Windows 8 to PC-Only in the display settings, and this successfully disables multi-monitor support. But the screen just goes black on my iMac - it does not switch back to OSX.

So I'm looking for a way to go in and out of Target Display mode without having to either remove the cable from the back of my iMac or having to get an Apple keyboard.

Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks!

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
Well, short answers...

No and No.

I had the same issue with my gaming PC and my Late 2009 iMac. I use a Corsair K60 keyboard. I was forced to drag out my original wired keyboard to switch between the Mac and PC.

Have you found any good KVM switches that work with DisplayPort?

So far, the only one I have found is the IOGEAR GCS1924
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817399110

No, I hadn't even considered using KVM switches. I plan on using a gaming keyboard for the PC, and since only the Apple keyboard will work for Target Display mode switching, I guess I'll just have to use that on the iMac. It just seems like there should be a way to emulate the function without having to use Apple's keyboard - what a shame...

Thanks for your reply!

Travisimo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
No other suggestions or solutions? I have an Apple wireless keyboard, but I'm using that for my Mac Mini in the living room. I guess I could buy a wired Apple keyboard, but I'd rather not have to spend $40+ on another keyboard if there's another way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.