Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I've purchased a GOPRO Hero 3 Black and done some filming in 60FPS 1080P

Edited using iMovie and FCPX exported to a 30FPS 1080P and looks great on OSX with VLC

So then I upload to youtube and the picture is rubbish compared to the local copy.

How do some people get such clear looking video on youtube ?

Thanks

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
Are you selecting to view in HD? That is, when viewing are you selecting the cog icon in the view window and selecting HD? If you're not, then there's your problem. You need to follow the rules for uploading HD to get HD on youtube. And you may need to select HD once it's there to see the video in HD.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hmm, did you try SHARING to YouTube from iMovie or FCP X?

I downloaded that video fromYouTube via ClipGrab in 1080p and it looks like crap.

No

Sharing in imovie is rubbish. You need to export

I followed all the steps everyone recommends hence me posting on here.

The GOPRO is 1080P 60FPS and looks amazing with its raw .mp4 formart. Its youtube which breaks it

----------

Did you watch it on 1080P on youtube itself?

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
What do you use to compress your video from raw iMovie export? I would recommend using Compress or Adobe Media Encoder, with the following settings:
h.264 encode .mov container/file extension
Video bitrate automatic "Best" quality multi pass.
Audio AAC encode Variable Bitrate "Best" quality.
Fast start enabled.

Honestly I watched the linked video and the bitrate seems low but I can't see it getting a whole lot better than this. Try doing what I suggested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.