Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Hardware: Mac Mini 2.4 GHz core 2 duo, Elgato EyeTv Hybrid 2008

I have been able to record TV from a charter cable connection just fine, but would like to 'cut the cable' and just go with an antenna.

Swapped the cable cord for an RCA antenna. We get several digital channels just fine on the TV. However, the Elgato software says the signal is 0% from the same connection. I tried a couple of different "amplifiers" in line, with improvement in signal. We even tried an "HDTV" antenna (one of those flat square things), and that signal was worse on the TV.

Any help on how I solve this?? I mean, we get great picture quality with the antenna connected to our Sony Bravia TV, but when the antenna is connected to the EyeTV, there is no signal at all.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Should work - are you following these steps?
Digital Inputs: Digital Antenna (ATSC)

Connect the antenna to the tuner input of EyeTV Hybrid, using a coaxial cable.

If the EyeTV Setup Assistant is not showing, then please select it from the Help menu.

When prompted, select "Digital - Antenna" as your service, and then Auto Tune. The Auto Tune process will search for channels that the antenna can receive.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Should work - are you following these steps?

Yes, followed all that exactly. Also, when I go into preferences and select device, then signal it shows both strength and quality as 0%. Moving the antenna and/or using a signal amplifier did nothing.

I've e-mailed Elgato tech support a couple of days ago, but have gotten no replay at this point.

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Yes, followed all that exactly. Also, when I go into preferences and select device, then signal it shows both strength and quality as 0%. Moving the antenna and/or using a signal amplifier did nothing.

I've e-mailed Elgato tech support a couple of days ago, but have gotten no replay at this point.

I assume you did a channel scan?

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I bought an EyeTV Hybrid in 2009 and it failed after a little bit of use, it wouldn't find channels or show any signal strength IIRC. I had a friend try it on their mac and they confirmed the problem. I got it replaced by the supplier and had no problem since.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
I bought an EyeTV Hybrid in 2009 and it failed after a little bit of use, it wouldn't find channels or show any signal strength IIRC. I had a friend try it on their mac and they confirmed the problem. I got it replaced by the supplier and had no problem since.

OK, well, the thing that is strange is that the EyeTV hybrid get a signal from the cable TV connection, but not from the TV antenna. So, I think the EyeTV hybrid is working. However, when I plug the TV antenna into the TV, I get a clear signal on several channels, so, I'm just wondering - does the EyeTV need a stronger signal than my Sony TV does to get a picture? As I mentioned above, even when using a signal amplifier, the EyeTV comes up with zero signal. Or, if I get a signal from the antenna on the TV, should the EyeTV also be able to get a signal?

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Problem solved!

I ended up calling Elgato tech support this afternoon. They were not sure what the problem could be either after several checks of different things. But then the tech had me download a utility to remove EyeTV software completely, reboot and then download the latest version from their website. After doing that, the autotune found all the digital channels we have and all is working perfectly. So, all it took was a software reinstall, with help from the Elgato tech support, which was great considering I had purchased my EyeTV Hybrid several years ago (I have the 2008 version)!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
A tip. If you find a version of EyeTV software that seems to function well, keep it. They seldom have anything exciting in updates, but many of them seem to have issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.