Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

google_android_logos.jpg
The Financial Times is reporting that Google's Android unit is working on a smart watch. With Samsung confirming that it is working on a smart watch and rumors about Apple's "iWatch" continuing to circulate, it appears that the three companies are set to battle in a new mobile device segment.

The report unsurprisingly suggests that Google views the smart watch as a more mainstream wearable accessory than the Google Glass project that has garnered significant attention in recent months.
While Glass is being created in its X Lab, home to experimental "moonshot" projects such as the self-driving car, Google's smart watch is being developed by its Android unit, according to a person briefed on the project, to act as an extension to the smartphones using that operating system. The project is separate from Samsung's efforts, the source said, although there is no indication of when it might launch.
Apple reportedly has 100 product designers working on an "iWatch", experimenting with curved glass and possible features such as biosensors. Apple's smart watch is also said to run a "full" version of iOS, which would make it easier for developer access. However, battery life is said to be the big challenge for Apple, with current prototypes needing to charge every two days, half of Apple's goal.

Article Link: Google Reportedly Working on Its Own Android Smart Watch

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
Watch and see which watch will be on everyone's watch list because everyone is watching for a watch that will replace their own watch.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Of course they are. So is HP, HTC, Lenovo, LG, and everybody else. Wonder how long it's going to take til we see those articles on here...

kbt1020

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
Apple will come out 1 year later: "Screw ya'll. We didn't make a watch, but smart contact lens instead"

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I can't wait for Apple to say "We aren't and never have been working on a watch" and then watch as everyone else says "We are dropping the watch project".

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I can't wait for Apple to say "We aren't and never have been working on a watch" and then watch as everyone else says "We are dropping the watch project".

Exactly. That would be the most EPIC thing ever. Even better...announce a date and reveal something else but let them reveal their watches first.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Is there no innovation in rumors anymore?

Why do Samsung rumors and Google rumors just copy Apple rumors? Can't they come up with rumors of their own? Do they make up a checklist of Apple rumor features to compare with so they can make their rumors even more like Apple rumors?

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
"Google views the smart watch as a more mainstream wearable accessory than the Google Glass project that has garnered significant attention in recent months."

Gee, there's a shocker. :rolleyes:

bag of kittens

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2012
inside a bag
Is there no innovation in rumors anymore?

Why do Samsung rumors and Google rumors just copy Apple rumors? Can't they come up with rumors of their own? Do they make up a checklist of Apple rumor features to compare with so they can make their rumors even more like Apple rumors?

Because only one of those companies listed innovates in hardware :D

oclor

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2006
Boston
Battery life should not be an issue. If I have to charge my phone every night why wouldn't I charge my watch every night as well? My pebble gets 7 days of battery life but I charge it every night since I take it off in bed and plug it in right when I plug in my iPhone.

Believe it or not, it's easier to charge something every night than once a week, because you have a daily routine. If it was once a week, you would be charging it when it dies, which is never a fun thing.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Smart Watches and Google Glasses are both non-starters IMHO.

The next markets for me are TV and automobiles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.